My fish Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so i have a 20 gallon high fishtank. I currently have 6 fish in it, 2 mollies, 2 platys, and 2 corys. Im planning on getting a dwarf gourami next, and after that a neon tetra school. is that a good or bad plan? If not, please give me some other suggestions!

Welcome!
I'd personally skip the dwarf gourami and add a few more cories, then the group of neons, then call it quits. Mollies get quite a bit larger than a lot of folks realize and they do tend to produce a fair bit of waste relative to their size.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Ok, so i have a 20 gallon high fishtank. I currently have 6 fish in it, 2 mollies, 2 platys, and 2 corys. Im planning on getting a dwarf gourami next, and after that a neon tetra school. is that a good or bad plan? If not, please give me some other suggestions!

Alright, first up, what kind of cories? Either way you need to add 4 more so they can school properly. You could do the tetras, but I don't know about the gourami.

severum mama said:
Welcome!
I'd personally skip the dwarf gourami and add a few more cories, then the group of neons, then call it quits. Mollies get quite a bit larger than a lot of folks realize and they do tend to produce a fair bit of waste relative to their size.

+1 so true I had Molly that was approaching 4 inchs.

i should elaborate more. I have 2 panda corys, and im actually giving the mollies to my little brother. I was going to then get balloon mollies instead of regular mollies, then continue on my plan. Should i not get the balloons?

also, how many neons? i have never kept them before. I know they school, but my friend had 2 and they didnt look happy. whats the minimum i could get?

mr.waffles1842 said:
i should elaborate more. I have 2 panda corys, and im actually giving the mollies to my little brother. I was going to then get balloon mollies instead of regular mollies, then continue on my plan. Should i not get the balloons?

Don't get the balloons.
A. It will overstock your tank
B. They're deformed, and it just isn't right how they got that way.
C. You can have the dwarf gourami!!!!

mr.waffles1842 said:
also, how many neons? i have never kept them before. I know they school, but my friend had 2 and they didnt look happy. whats the minimum i could get?

6-8 would work.

Ok, so 1 gourami, 2 platys, 6 neons, ? corys right? Also, i have 1 last quick question. Mt little brother has a bristlenose pleco that leaves his tank algae free. Is it alright if we switch it back and forth between are tanks, or will that stress him out? I probably shouldnt huh?

mr.waffles1842 said:
Ok, so 1 gourami, 2 platys, 6 neons, ? corys right? Also, i have 1 last quick question. Mt little brother has a bristlenose pleco that leaves his tank algae free. Is it alright if we switch it back and forth between are tanks, or will that stress him out? I probably shouldnt huh?

6 cories would be ok. Pandas stay small. You could get your own bristlenose pleco, or some ottos.

I'd do 1 gourami, 2 platies, 8 neons, and 6 pandas. You don't need to buy a pleco, you can also consider something like nerite snails or amano shrimp that produce a lot less waste but are still great algae eaters.

I would suggest your own pleco. Switching him would really stress him out and they are not very expensive. Also the dwarf gouramis are really cool but for your size tank make sure you ONLY GET 1!!!! They are territorial and can get nasty with each other especially if they are cooped up in a smaller tank.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Dont snails repproduce very fast?

Depending on what snail you get. Nerite Snails are your best bet, they stay small, they don't reproduce in FW, and they don't eat plants.

that's really not big enough for molly AND a bristlenose pleco. mollys are really best in a 30 gallon tank. is there anyway you could take them back?

Back
Top Bottom