my fishless cycle log 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sooo....maybe starting to come down?

Also, make sure you're keeping am eye on pH at this point. You'll be fine since you just did the pwc...but always have your eyes open for drops.

eco23 said:
Sooo....maybe starting to come down?

Also, make sure you're keeping am eye on pH at this point. You'll be fine since you just did the pwc...but always have your eyes open for drops.

Im not sure if it is dropping or not. I only got 2+ ppm after the pwc. So i really dont know.

orandafan12 said:
The nitrites got lighter though. Is this a sign it is almost done?

Yep...keep feeding it ammo every 24 hours and keep a close eye on pH. If it drops...do a 50% pwc.

Day 11
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 1-2 ppm
Nitrates 40 ppm
Ph not tested
Nitrites have gotten a little lighter.

eco23 said:
This is when it's most important to constantly be testing pH.

I tested the ph. It went down tremendously. It was above 7.2. Now its at 6.8.

Good deal. It didn't drop low enough to do damage IMO...but once it starts dropping, it tends to keep going down dramatically if you don't jump in with the pwc. Good save.

eco23 said:
Good deal. It didn't drop low enough to do damage IMO...but once it starts dropping, it tends to keep going down dramatically if you don't jump in with the pwc. Good save.

I retested and it still the same. Can i add ph increase to get to go up?

orandafan12 said:
Why does ph go down any way amd how doea it effect the cycle

The nitrifying bacteria use the buffers in the water that hold pH steady. Once enough of the buffers are used up, it can cause wild fluctuations. A sudden drop can basically shock the bacteria and potentially cause it to go dormant. If it drops low enough, it can stop nitrification entirely...and potentially cause a die off of some bacteria.

Luckily you caught it in plenty of time and there shouldn't be any damage done :). pH crashes suck (to put it bluntly), but the good news is they tend to signify your cycle is just about done. Almost fish time!

orandafan12 said:
I retested and it still the same. Can i add ph increase to get to go up?

I'd just change more water to raise it...no need to mess with chemicals when you can do it with a bucket :)

eco23 said:
I'd just change more water to raise it...no need to mess with chemicals when you can do it with a bucket :)

Ok ill do that right now. What lvl is dangerous for bacteria? Should i do another 50% pwc

orandafan12 said:
Ok ill do that right now. What lvl is dangerous for bacteria? Should i do another 50% pwc

Just try to get it back to the natural value if your tap water...but no, it didn't go low enough to cause any problems at all. :)

eco23 said:
Just try to get it back to the natural value if your tap water...but no, it didn't go low enough to cause any problems at all. :)

Just did another 50% pwc and the ph is now 7.2-7.6

Back
Top Bottom