My fishless cycle log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does the nitrAte seem like it might be climbing at all? I'm really not worried about no2...but we would like to see the ammonia and no3 rising. You've only had the seeded filter in there for a few days...so I wouldn't freak out yet. But it is odd.

NitrAte are still inbetween 0-5 not quite 0 and not quite 5 yet, my ph did drop a bit but everything else seems frozen.
My ammonia is from weis and it doesnt have any thing in it. its clear and doesnt foam, I even emptied the tank to the gravel. im starting to loose hope :(

Day 24 (10-08-11)
Ammonia: 3-4ppm
Ph:7.5
Nitrite: 0
NitrAte: 5-10ppm
Temp: 82F

Well nitrates are rising, that's good, it's showing some conversion is happening. Ammonia should be dropping more by now though, I would think.....

Have you tried grinding up a flake of fish food and putting it into the tank? It can contain minerals and things the bacteria might like. Do you have an air stone in there, or some good agitation/bubbles from the filter? Bacteria like oxygen. :D

I can't think of anything else as to why the ammonia isn't dropping faster. This does remind me of my tank when I was trying to cycle.....but I won't go there yet. :D

There is a lot of movement in my tank. 2 air stones and my filter is on high. I will put a little bit of fish food in the tank. I am also going to take a sample to the pet store to see if they get the same resultes.
Also my Ph has been dropping so something is happening, i do have crushed coral in a pantyhose, and in my filter.
If this doesnt work I might try fish in cycling which I really dont want to do but idk of any other way to cycle my tank.

NitrAtes rising shows conversion...it's not as fast as we'd like, but it's cycling. You can choose any path you'd like, but remember that dealing with toxins and pH fluctuations in an empty tank is one thing...dealing with them while keeping your fish safe during the process is a different story entirely. Fish in the tank provide nothing different other than being a living, breathing ammonia source. Your call though...just research what is involved.

hang in there - I'm on something like day 35 now and have essentially seen no changes. going to try and get some seed bacteria today. maybe this is also a case of a watched pot never boiling, which I'm beginning to think might be also happening with me

Do you think i should do a water change maybe get my ammonia a little lower? Maybe that will help it convert faster. The pet store I went to uses the stripes to test but she got almost the same thing as me but she couldnt make out the Ph.

The ammonia is fine where it is. Lowering it won't have any impact. There's never anything wrong with water changes though. Any time I have concerns the first thing I do is add fresh water.

Keeping am accurate account of pH is important. You said it dropped? From what down to what? I assume you were using both the normal and the high range test kit?

its around a 7.6 now but it was at 8-8.2 I retested my NitRate and its at 5-10 not quite a 10 but def a 5

Christina717 said:
its around a 7.6 now but it was at 8-8.2 I retested my NitRate and its at 5-10 not quite a 10 but def a 5

As the bacteria continue to colonize, the conversion will speed up. It's just a matter of having a bit more patience. All tanks are different...some take longer than others. I'd only be worried of you had no conversion at all.

Day 25 (10-09-11) Active sponge filter still in tank.
Ph: 8
NitrIte: Did not test
NitrAte: 5-10 ( little darker than yesterday )
Temp: 84F

Christina717 said:
Day 25 (10-09-11) Active sponge filter still in tank.
Ph: 8
NitrIte: Did not test
NitrAte: 5-10 ( little darker than yesterday )
Temp: 84F

I have a feeling you will see nitrite if you test. Just a feeling. This is getting familiar. Librarygirl had a stubborn tank too....

The nitrates are getting darker so that's good, conversion is happening, just not as fast as we'd like. You may or may not have nitrite depending on how much bacteria was on the sponge filter; it wouldn't hurt to test just to see if there are any. The API test kits are very good but they don't account for every little amount that's converted. We see color changes when large amounts are dropping, but something could still be happening that the tests can't measure. And it's hard telling the difference between 2 and 3 and 4 ammonia on that test kit; in different lights I got different results.

I wouldn't panic yet. :)

Christina717 said:
OMG! I tested my NitrIte lvl and it was at .25-.50 i wasnt expecting that

Eureka.... things will move along well...another feeling

Day 26 (10-10-11)
Ph: 7.6-8
NitrIte: 5ppm!!! maybe even brighter!!!
NitrAte: 20ppm!!! not quite red yet

Back
Top Bottom