My fishless cycles confusing me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLoxy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm like 4 weeks into a 5gallon fishless cycle. My readings are confusing me...

Finally ammonia is going down at .5ppm
nitrite is at 5+ppm
Nitrates 20+ppm

My ph is at 8.4-8.8

I thought at this point I should be seeing 0 ammonia and nitrites. Any ideas?

4 weeks does seem like a long time to me, but I always use filter media from one of my other tanks to speed the process along. Do you have a friend or a lfs who would let you have something from their tank to seed your tank?

Well with the ammonia dropping, nitrites going up, and nitrates appearing.....you're on your way! Just keep doing what you're doing. You'll get there. Have you read the FAQs about fishless cycling available on this forum?

Oh, and :welcome: to AA! :D

Thanks!! I have. Been looking at Chris22s post cause he seemed to be having the same problem as me with the nitrites being crazy high at week 4...looks like pwc did it for him

A 50-60% pwc would probably be good right now to restore the much needed buffers in your new tank.....I agree. :)

Ok cool. I'll do a pwc today. Souls I dose ammonia up to 2.0 or something?

Yep try a 100% water change (may take more than one) to get the nitrites down to something you can read on the chart. Since it's only a 5 gal tank you could just dose ammonia up to 2, but it's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom