My Fluval Edge Freshwater Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickB8951

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought a Fluval edge 6 gallon tank and figured I would start off with a freshwater setup. The bottom is lined with black gravel. For decoration I used an artificial rock cave and a Sphinx that I bought from Petsmart. As far as plants, I have 2 plastic plants and I just added 2 Java Ferns.
Now for the fish:
1 - Ryukin Goldfish (Red/White)
1 - Black Moore Goldfish
4 - Ghost Shrimp
2 - Mystery Snails
1 - Rubber Lip Pleco

I have had these guys in this tank for a while and they all seem to be loving their new home! I know the Goldfish will eventually outgrow this tank, but I have plans for another much larger tank that i will move them to when the time comes.

The only complaint I have is the lighting that comes with the Edge. I have already relpaced the Halogen bulbs with LEDs. These pics are with the original Halogens and I will post some new ones with the lighting difference. AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT IS!

Attachments

• 7bc14b85d7b5__1333141233000.jpg
    7bc14b85d7b5__1333141233000.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 48a65bd2cea2__1333141199000.jpg
    48a65bd2cea2__1333141199000.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 304
  • 59177e270c96__1333141213000.jpg
    59177e270c96__1333141213000.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 328
Tank looks beautiful but stocking is a major issue even as babies goldfish are messy poop machines so is the pleco I am sure you heard but fancy goldfish need 20 gallons for your first and 10 for each additional plus 100% over filtration that means if you had a 10 gallon tank you need a 20 gallon filter your pleco will need much more shrimp and snails are fine but I would only use an edge for nano fish or a Betta

But like I said it beautiful and best of luck

ryan-peddle said:
Tank looks beautiful but stocking is a major issue even as babies goldfish are messy poop machines so is the pleco I am sure you heard but fancy goldfish need 20 gallons for your first and 10 for each additional plus 100% over filtration that means if you had a 10 gallon tank you need a 20 gallon filter your pleco will need much more shrimp and snails are fine but I would only use an edge for nano fish or a Betta

But like I said it beautiful and best of luck

Beautiful tank! I do agree about the goldfish, I had three goldfish in my 29 gallon and I was doing 40% to 50% water changes with them every 4-5 days because they were so messy

NickB8951 said:
I recently bought a Fluval edge 6 gallon tank and figured I would start off with a freshwater setup. The bottom is lined with black gravel. For decoration I used an artificial rock cave and a Sphinx that I bought from Petsmart. As far as plants, I have 2 plastic plants and I just added 2 Java Ferns.
Now for the fish:
1 - Ryukin Goldfish (Red/White)
1 - Black Moore Goldfish
4 - Ghost Shrimp
2 - Mystery Snails
1 - Rubber Lip Pleco

I have had these guys in this tank for a while and they all seem to be loving their new home! I know the Goldfish will eventually outgrow this tank, but I have plans for another much larger tank that i will move them to when the time comes.

The only complaint I have is the lighting that comes with the Edge. I have already relpaced the Halogen bulbs with LEDs. These pics are with the original Halogens and I will post some new ones with the lighting difference. AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT IS!

There are several led upgrades for the edge,21 led&a 42 led fixture which can drastickly improve the lighting..

I'm curious.. If you just bought the fluval edge, why did you get the older model that has halogen fixtures? The Fluval Edge newer version already has LED lights, built in moonlights, and an acrylic shield to prevent water damage to the LEDs. I have the older one (like yours) and I replaced the halogens with LED bulbs that fit in the halogen fixture. Its such a hassle IMO because if you don't shield the LED bulbs they can corrode. The newer version addresses that flaw and it's far better IMO.

And I agree about the goldies and pleco in not being suitable for the Edge. The ammonia is going to go through the roof and kill the fish. You should cycle your tank first before stocking. But if you really want to cycle with fish, return the ones you have and get some cherry barbs or danios. Good news is Petsmart has a 14 day return policy.

Brian_Nano12g said:
I'm curious.. If you just bought the fluval edge, why did you get the older model that has halogen fixtures? The Fluval Edge newer version already has LED lights, built in moonlights, and an acrylic shield to prevent water damage to the LEDs. I have the older one (like yours) and I replaced the halogens with LED bulbs that fit in the halogen fixture. Its such a hassle IMO because if you don't shield the LED bulbs they can corrode. The newer version addresses that flaw and it's far better IMO.

And I agree about the goldies and pleco in not being suitable for the Edge. The ammonia is going to go through the roof and kill the fish. You should cycle your tank first before stocking. But if you really want to cycle with fish, return the ones you have and get some cherry barbs or danios. Good news is Petsmart has a 14 day return policy.

I bought the old verdion because the petsmart near my job was closing down and the edge was 50% off. I ended up only paying $60. LED upgrade has already been done. Here is an updated pic of the tank with the new lights

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120331_064635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_064635.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 242
  • ForumRunner_20120331_064722.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_064722.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 277
Yeah i don't blame ya then, $60 for an edge is good. Are the MR11 LED bulbs shielded from water splashes? If not, did you seal them off? I didn't at first and I went through a couple of bulbs pretty quick until I sealed them off.

Oh btw I like the black Tahitian moon sand you chose.

Here's my edge. :)

Check out this video on YouTube:

Yeah i don't blame ya then, $60 for an edge is good. Are the MR11 LED bulbs shielded from water splashes? If not, did you seal them off? I didn't at first and I went through a couple of bulbs pretty quick until I sealed them off.

I just got the new Lighting a few days ago and have not sealed or shielded them. Do you have an idea for the best way I can make a shield that looks clean and almost factory? I saw something on youtube where someone used lenses from utitilty glasses that they attached to each bulb, but it looked kinda sloppy.

BTW I checked out your video and I love the setup you have! I was considering getting driftwood, but I was scared it would discolor my water. Yours looks great! (y)

NickB8951 said:
I just got the new Lighting a few days ago and have not sealed or shielded them. Do you have an idea for the best way I can make a shield that looks clean and almost factory? I saw something on youtube where someone used lenses from utitilty glasses that they attached to each bulb, but it looked kinda sloppy.

BTW I checked out your video and I love the setup you have! I was considering getting driftwood, but I was scared it would discolor my water. Yours looks great! (y)

Don't be afraid of the dw,you can boil most of the tannins out in about 25mins&also sanitising it as well..

NickB8951 said:

I had the hardest time trying to research the best way to seal them. Some people have used a clear coat spray (the type for cars) but after reading the temperature threshold of the clear coat enamel I felt it was cutting it too close to how hot the LEDs run. So my option was to find some glass or acrylic lenses that I can seal on the MR11 LED's with silicone. I found some cheap Harry Potter costume glasses and popped out the lenses. I siliconed those on and they have worked perfectly. I suppose if you have a dremel you might be able to cut off the shields from the stock halogens that came with the Edge and silicone those on.

As for the DW, it's actually artificial and I got that at Petsmart. It looks pretty real from the start and even more so when a little algae starts to grow on it. :)

I redecorated my tank with some driftwood and real plants. I tied some java fern to the driftwood and planted anubius plants in the gravel. I left the two fake tall plants in the back because my shrimp like to climb them! This new setup has given my fish a lot more room to swim around.

~I uploaded these pics on another thread, but thought it was appropriate to share them on this one too.~

Attachments

• 040612.5.jpg
    040612.5.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 040612.4.jpg
    040612.4.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 040612.2.jpg
    040612.2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 040612.3.jpg
    040612.3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 133
Here are some before and after shots!

Attachments

• 7bc14b85d7b5__1333141233000.jpg
    7bc14b85d7b5__1333141233000.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 7e0aa52107c2__1333216449000.jpg
    7e0aa52107c2__1333216449000.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 040612.5.jpg
    040612.5.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 124
Looking pretty good. I like the DW better than the previous ornaments. BTW, did you figure out a way to seal those LEDs?

Looking pretty good. I like the DW better than the previous ornaments. BTW, did you figure out a way to seal those LEDs?

Thanks! I have definitely slacked on getting the LED's sealed. I am going to make it a point to do that this next week before they get damaged.

Finally got the supplies to seal the LED lights! I found some glasses from the dollar store (thanks for the idea Brian) and popped the lenses out. I used waterproof silicone to seal them up and it took all of 5 minutes!

Attachments

• 4.10 1.jpg
    4.10 1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.10 2.jpg
    4.10 2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 4.10 4.jpg
    4.10 4.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom