My Friend Needs A Little Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend helped me set up my 10-gal and now is getting a 10-gal on Friday. He has no fish experience, and has no idea what he wants to get. He's asking me for suggestions and I'm kinda limited on what I can give. I'm no fish expert. He has no idea what he wants to do with the 10-gal. Anyone have any helper suggestions I can pass on soon? I already killed the goldfish idea, so that one's good. I don't really wanna suggest a fish I have no experience with and end up killing his fun.

He could do Pygmy Cory and some facy male guppies, the pygmys will be good to bring attention to the bottom while the male guppies will bring loads of color and movement to the rest of the tank, they're also super easy to take care of. He can take his time getting the guppies too, search different shops to really find the colors and type he likes. I'm sure everyone has a ton of options for you, I only had my ten set up for a short time so I don't know exactly what works in that size

Yeah. My ten has a flame dwarf gourami, three albino corys that are weird as ever, and a snail that doesn't give a crap about anything other than his algae wafer. I might have to start putting in two when I add a wafer just because the little brat will now sit on top of the thing and do everything he can to keep the corys off it. Little brat snail. He likes these pirate decorations he saw in two fish tanks when I got my corys and gourami. He wants to theme the tank pirate. I just know he'll set it up and I'll get a test message that he's got them named Redbeard, Long John Silver, Jack Sparrow, Davey Jones, and any other pirate stories. He'll probably get something larger than the others just to name it Kraken. The guppies might work for him, but with my experience, all mine did was mate multiple times a day and spontaneously have 13 babies. They weren't all the pet store cracked them up to be. He wants a 10, so it's not like he's limited to guppies and bettas. I just don't wanna name a fish I like only to have him get it, hate it or kill it accidentally, and then hate it forever.

BettaGal said:
Yeah. My ten has a flame dwarf gourami, three albino corys that are weird as ever, and a snail that doesn't give a crap about anything other than his algae wafer. I might have to start putting in two when I add a wafer just because the little brat will now sit on top of the thing and do everything he can to keep the corys off it. Little brat snail. He likes these pirate decorations he saw in two fish tanks when I got my corys and gourami. He wants to theme the tank pirate. I just know he'll set it up and I'll get a test message that he's got them named Redbeard, Long John Silver, Jack Sparrow, Davey Jones, and any other pirate stories. He'll probably get something larger than the others just to name it Kraken. The guppies might work for him, but with my experience, all mine did was mate multiple times a day and spontaneously have 13 babies. They weren't all the pet store cracked them up to be. He wants a 10, so it's not like he's limited to guppies and bettas. I just don't wanna name a fish I like only to have him get it, hate it or kill it accidentally, and then hate it forever.

Yea I read your Cory post, super weird and I have no idea, mine don't do that haha. I know he's not limited to betas and guppies, but it is a 10 and he is limited. Have him go to liveaquaria.com and pick out fish he like that a 10 gallon meets their requirements. Then take his stock list and go to aqadvisor.com and see what it says, then post what it says on this thread and the people here will say if its correct or not. That will give you both an incredible amount of info you can then begin to purchase your stock online or in store, whichever you prefer.

There's an idea! You'd think I would think of something like that, but why would I do something intelligent like that this week? I've already proven my lack of being "all there" yesterday. I can have him do that, then I'll see what we all come up with. As for my corys, that was just one weird thing they did. I have one that's as lazy as ever, scavenges for about five minutes and then takes a good few hour rest. I have a second one that's about normal, scavenges all day, rests a little, playful, the whole shebang. Then there's Spazzo. He's the one that eats the air, not the other two. He's the only reason I have to have a lid because he will frequently "Free Willy" leap from the water. Has yet to escape, but I'm not waiting. He has the energy of a human toddler. I don't think he's slept yet. My gourami, for some reason I may never know, prefers to hide in everything. He likes the new bamboo, hide behind the leaves of the silk plant, sleeps in the skull cave, and comes out for food. I have the melting pot of fish personalities. But they're all full of crap. Literally. So much poop for so little time and nobody will clean it from the sand. For my sanity, is there a sand cleaner that will clean up the poop?

I am sort of new to this all too! I have had my ten gal. for about three months. I have found that about 4 or 5 Endlers Livebears, four Glo-danios, and two Long finned sepra tetras all get along great, very colorful, lots of swimming action, and hardy fish! I am no going to add live plants. Please advise your friend to cycle his tank first!! I have tried the Blue paradise, and the Blue Gourami, they picked on each other and found many a split fins. Beginners should stay with sturdy fish. And don't forget the testing kit!!! Good luck to you all!

I'll see if he's found anything he likes. I told him to try to set it up before he got fish in it. At least set it up today. I have this thing from a fish shop called BioBoost that's supposed to help speed up cycling. I can let him use it for a few weeks to help. And maybe have him get one live plant to help him out.

BettaGal said:
I'll see if he's found anything he likes. I told him to try to set it up before he got fish in it. At least set it up today. I have this thing from a fish shop called BioBoost that's supposed to help speed up cycling. I can let him use it for a few weeks to help. And maybe have him get one live plant to help him out.

Yes be sure he is completely cycled or have him read up on fish-in cycling. Seeded filter media from an established tank could cycle him in 24 hours though. The crud on the sand you just have to clean yourself, not really any fish or inverts that eat poop. Shrimp may nibble from time to time but a gravel vac is just the way to go

Well, I guess I'll have to come up with something to clean this mess up before they start playing with their own poop again. Gravel vacuums and me don't seem to get along very well. I'm gonna have to start looking at fish for my friend who has yet to do it. He was looking at tanks earlier today, but had no idea whether it was a good deal for it or not. Personally, I would like a second snail, but I'm a little afraid to watch War of the Algae Wafers in my tank. Got any ideas for maybe getting a shy gourami to come out more? He kinda just lingers in the back or checks out the bamboo. He'll come out to eat, but he's pretty timid. I might get a snail tomorrow. A prettier one rather than another olive nerite. He looks like a bullet-hole on my skull cave. And the corys dug up my airstone, so rocks it will be.

I think guppies would be a great start for him. 5-6 guppies and some shrimp. Personally I think corys need a bigger tank to be in proper groups.

Otos could be ok in a 10 gallon but as a beginner I would not recommend them, they are very sensitive fish.

Guppies offer a lot of color, are all over swimmers and very active and are supper hardy. Lots of different colors to vary the look in the tank without mixing species. Just me sure if he goes with male and females that there are at least 2 F to 1 M I prefer 3F to 1M but either should do. If he allows nature to take it's course most of the fry that would result should most likely be eaten.

He could do 2 sparkling gourami. They do pretty well in small tanks.

Honestly though, if he can afford a larger one I would suggest that. Always buy the biggest you can afford because the more water volume the easier the tank is to maintain. I know a lot of people think that smaller tanks are easier to maintain but it's actually the opposite. even if he just jumps up to a 15 or 20 it really helps and gives him far more options for fish too.

10 gallons isn't big and doesn't offer a huge selection of fish.

Well, I guess I'll have to come up with something to clean this mess up before they start playing with their own poop again. Gravel vacuums and me don't seem to get along very well. I'm gonna have to start looking at fish for my friend who has yet to do it. He was looking at tanks earlier today, but had no idea whether it was a good deal for it or not. Personally, I would like a second snail, but I'm a little afraid to watch War of the Algae Wafers in my tank. Got any ideas for maybe getting a shy gourami to come out more? He kinda just lingers in the back or checks out the bamboo. He'll come out to eat, but he's pretty timid. I might get a snail tomorrow. A prettier one rather than another olive nerite. He looks like a bullet-hole on my skull cave. And the corys dug up my airstone, so rocks it will be.

Get lots of cover. Gourami like a well planted tank and floating plants are very helpful and appreciated. If there isn't enough cover for them they will spend more time hiding. If you don't have live plants even just ripping some stems off a fake plant or 2 and floating them will help out.

I swear, every single time I set up a new tank somebody somewhere says it's too dang small. One of these days, I'll be a smart butt and get the biggest tank I can think of to find and load it with everything flashy and mean just to rub it in the next person's face. That's the most annoying statement I hear, and it's always within days of setting up the tank. Not meaning to jump on tamtam, just overly annoyed with every tank I set up being too small for anything. He's getting the stuff for the 10 tonight. If my guppies weren't so bad when I had them, I would recommend guppies. Mine only ate, pooped everywhere, and made babies 80 times a day. I don't even know what temperament he wants or anything.

So, I finally have a little help from my friend. He wants a few active fish and prefers gravel over sand. Now we actually have a start other than fish. And, in my opinion, I can't stand guppies. Messy, annoying, mating trouble-makers as far as my experience goes. Any ideas with finally a little help from my friend?

I think you have more options than just guppies just not a million. You could try espei rasboras or harlequin rasboras and pygmy cories (super cute little guys) or some smaller tetras like neons which are very colorful and active. If he is worried about the guppies having all these babies just get all males or all females. Also rasbora brigittae are nice little fish. You could also try a betta and see if he lieks the company of other fish. All the ones I have ever had got along with everyone else so its just a hit or miss. Im not sure on the size needs on platies or swordtails but you could look them up and see what size they need.

I can look up rasboras and platies and swordtails. He has seemed to be favoring slightly aggressive fish right now. He likes the red tail shark, but wants more than one fish in the tank, so won't get it. Is there anything with a little bit of aggression to it that would work in a 10? Or are we all gonna have to make it up as we go along?

Someone said a 10 gallon is too small for corys, I hear that a lot too but if you provide everything the need then 10g is plenty of space for them to forage, and yes 3 is actually a good group for corys, I know that they are a Shoaling fish but 3 is just as good as the 4 everyone suggests.

Also I wouldn't recommend anything but male guppies for a ten, exactly because of the baby making thing. I also don't recommend neon tetras either, yes they are very small and yes their bioload is incredibly small but they are very active and although they don't NEED more than 10, they should have at least 15-20 gallons to be the active fish they're supposed to be.

Someone had mentioned shrimp! Have your friend look into them! They come in all kinds of colors and can be very entertaining to watch, have tiny bioloads and can be with other fish.

Would the shrimp be fine in gravel? My friend prefers gravel for some reason. The reason I'm so against guppies is I had a pair of them and I had to clean the rocks DAILY sometimes 2x or more because they were so messy. And they made love so darn much, but males wouldn't do that. He seems to be leaning toward semi-aggressive fish. Would shrimp be fine with those? Are there any that would work in a 10? Preferably a couple of fish, but he has a thing for sharks. I already said a 10 is way to small for that.

BettaGal said:
Would the shrimp be fine in gravel? My friend prefers gravel for some reason. The reason I'm so against guppies is I had a pair of them and I had to clean the rocks DAILY sometimes 2x or more because they were so messy. And they made love so darn much, but males wouldn't do that. He seems to be leaning toward semi-aggressive fish. Would shrimp be fine with those? Are there any that would work in a 10? Preferably a couple of fish, but he has a thing for sharks. I already said a 10 is way to small for that.

Yea guppies are pigs, but males are smaller and for the size you can't beat the color. I have only sand but from everything I've red shrimp have no special needs when it comes to substrate. I don't know about the semi aggressive fish, the farthest I've gone with semi agro is angels in my 55. Yes a 10 gallon is wwwwaaaayyyyyy too small, when the shark matures there would be more of it in a 10g than water haha

Back
Top Bottom