My Friend Needs A Little Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BettaGal said:
I've been looking at fish for a little bit. Would a cichlid or gourami work, or are those gihugic also? What about fresh/brackish puffers?

Gourami would work specifically dwarfs, I found of the only 2 gouramis I've had one was a murderer. The only things that survived him were Cory's and a betta. There are a couple dwarf cichlids that are smaller (he couldnt keep bigger ones in a 10)but I'm not sure if people tend to recommend them in smaller tanks and since the tank is so small it would probably be best to keep 1 or 2 alone in the tanks Should he
go that route(I have no personal experience) and they are extremely sensitive to water parameters so cycling before hand and making sure the water is perfect. Puffers are also really aggressive and should be kept alone.

I knew puffers liked to eat snails, but I don't know much about them. I just think the ones cruelly kept at Walmart are adorable. One day, I'll have a puffer that's cute as ever, and just like Dmitri, is a stone-cold killer. Not really. He just hated everyone but me. He's looking at schoolers now.

I got a silk plant and bamboo along one side of it along with two caves. It's a pretty dark tank, so I have no idea why he isn't being friendly. He's not very sociable.

They like heavily planted tanks. A LOT of cover. In the wild they live in highly vegetated areas, think grassy fields that flood over. The more cover the better honestly. While you would think that having more would promote them to hide more it's the opposite. The more cover there is the more likely he is to feel safe and venture out. Again floating plants are helpful too.

I swear, every single time I set up a new tank somebody somewhere says it's too dang small. One of these days, I'll be a smart butt and get the biggest tank I can think of to find and load it with everything flashy and mean just to rub it in the next person's face. That's the most annoying statement I hear, and it's always within days of setting up the tank. Not meaning to jump on tamtam, just overly annoyed with every tank I set up being too small for anything. He's getting the stuff for the 10 tonight. If my guppies weren't so bad when I had them, I would recommend guppies. Mine only ate, pooped everywhere, and made babies 80 times a day. I don't even know what temperament he wants or anything.

I have no idea why you are so upset. I said personally, to me. I have an opinion as you do. IMO and with my research that is what I choose. You can really do what you want. I also think that 3 is not enough of a shoal for cories but some feel it is.

Research is key in aquariums. Either buy a tank and research what fish are suitable for it, or figure out the fish you want and figure out what tank is suitable for it. Some simple research can avoid a lot of headaches.

I have no idea why you are making comments about rubbing it in peoples faces. IT's really not needed and to make such a comment does nothing but make you sound like you don't care about fish. You want to jam a bunch of fish in a tank and let them kill each other and get sick or stunt there growth go for it. It's on you. People here love fish and give opinions and knowledge, some have YEARS of experience. Instead of taking offense to what someone says why not think about it and go do some research and learn something new. There is ALWAYS something to learn. Every fish is different and has different needs and it takes time to learn these things. What I feel for me is different than many others. If you took offense to anything I said I'm sorry, I was stating my view and don't think I said anything wrong at all. I just think that 10 gallons have more suitable fish options than certain fish. Sure you CAN put a cory in there or a good portion of tetras or rasboras. Yea they will survive and probably for a while. I just feel like a BETTER set up is larger and meets their needs better.. No need to take offense to it. As it's been mentioned lots of people keep cories in 10 gallons, I just said I wouldnt.

The problem is that companies market these dumb little bowls and tanks with picture of unsuitable fish in them and everyone thinks these things are ok. The goldfish bowl is a perfect example. Dumbest name ever and look at what most people think of goldfish? Take some time and research a fishes needs and you can easily see why things don't work.

Ther are more options for 10 gallon tanks but I gave those couple options as your friend is new, he's not familiar with things and probably doesn't want a fish with specific needs or that is going to cost a lot or be hard to fine.

Sure I could recommend a pair of scarlet badis, or some dwarf puffers, or a school of celestial pearl danios or ember tetras or maybe some of the smaller more suitable killis but the likely hood of him finding these easily can be pretty small depending on where he lives.

He could do a couple platy in his tank but 2-3 are going to max out his tank. They are big poop factories as well. I don't want to piss you off but swordtails won't work for a 10 gallon. They are big fish when they reach mature size. 4inches in length. Similar to mollies they will need a larger tank of about 30 gallons.

The lady at Petco Wednesday said that gouramis will eat on plants. Would it make him happier if I got one that he would eat on along with the bamboo I already got in there? I don't want it so planted I can't see anything I put in it, but I'm fine with a couple plants. I wanted to get another snail also just for the heck of it. The one I got is really fun to watch. I know I need to get more food for them all. I just got bloodworms because when Buddy was alive he couldn't fit anything else in his mouth, not even the small pellets I bought when I first got him. Would flakes be good, or freeze-dried shrimp, or anything cheap I can get them all they would enjoy? I have done my research on all my fish. I didn't just blindly get pretty fish and toss them in. I just always get the cranky ones for some reason.

I've been looking at fish for a little bit. Would a cichlid or gourami work, or are those gihugic also? What about fresh/brackish puffers?

2 sparkling gouramis would be ok in a 10
or a single DG or Honey gourami

There are several types of gourami, some get really large, like 6 inches. The dwarfs, honeys and sparkling are all smaller gouramis. Opinions vary on this like everything else and some feel they need larger tanks.

I am not aware of any cichlids that would be good in a ten. Not to say there aren't but my cichlid knowledge is limited. All of the dwarfs I am aware of need 20 gallons. Generally though they are a more needed fish so they may not be a good option for him either.

Like I said, tamtam, I was not meaning to go off on you. I'm sure you can understand from my point of view as everyone here has probably been there before. Every time I get a tank and set it up, I research the fish I wanna get and how to care for them and what they need. I've been looking at other fish forums at what other people say is best, although this is the only one I've gotten an account to. Every time I get the tank ready and set up and let it run a good day or two so that all the extra dirt and stuff is out of it, I go to get the fish or I put them in and do even more research and get told I did the whole thing wrong, the tank is too small, the fish is gonna suffer and die, the whole thing. I only have so much room in a dorm, and 10 is about as big as I have space for. I've always wanted a huge tank when I have a place of my own, and it makes it even more of a desire when I get told everything I've seen and done is wrong, even though I've read I don't know how many sources telling me mostly the same information on the fish's care. It's either keep researching and looking after my smaller tank, or just quit because of a bunch of people saying I'm just messing everything up. I greatly enjoy taking care of fish, but I can't have a massive tank right now. I admit I'm not an expert, but that's why I'm here asking questions and learning. I am doing what I can to have a little sense of a home in my dorm and a little bit of relaxing harmony during my stressful times studying and testing constantly. I was merely venting my frustration, and if it helps dull the issue, I am sorry I vented over what you said. I can avoid venting frustrations to other fish-keepers in the future. I just ask for advice and assistance keeping my 10-gal happy and my little area of zen while I'm staying in a room the size of a jail cell studying for hours on end to pass a test in a class I'm struggling a lot in. I did not mean to offend, and I did not mean to sound like I don't care. I do care; I just can't keep a 20 like many here can. I have no room for a tank that big until I can get a job and an apartment, and then I might have room for a 20, depending on the size of the apartment. Please understand my frustrations and please forgive me for venting here. I will avoid expressing my frustrations in the future.

The lady at Petco Wednesday said that gouramis will eat on plants. Would it make him happier if I got one that he would eat on along with the bamboo I already got in there? I don't want it so planted I can't see anything I put in it, but I'm fine with a couple plants. I wanted to get another snail also just for the heck of it. The one I got is really fun to watch. I know I need to get more food for them all. I just got bloodworms because when Buddy was alive he couldn't fit anything else in his mouth, not even the small pellets I bought when I first got him. Would flakes be good, or freeze-dried shrimp, or anything cheap I can get them all they would enjoy? I have done my research on all my fish. I didn't just blindly get pretty fish and toss them in. I just always get the cranky ones for some reason.

I don't think it's a huge issue as far as eating plants. He may snack on them once in a while but they aren't really too tough on plants IME. You could go with fake plants too if you are worried, they are just as good.

Usually I will line most of the back wall of my tank with plants. This makes them feel more secure. I then just add a few groupings of low to medium length plants in the rest of the tank. This is my tank with my honey to give you an idea. It does have more floating plants now which really helped bring him out of his shell. I had all of this stuff in a 20 and he was fine, upgraded to a 30 and he started hiding again. Floating plants do wonders and don't break the views.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - tamtam's Album: 30 gallon community - Picture

For food a variety is usually a good bet. I feed mine fresh veggies like peas and carrots for a treat. Just cook them til they are mushy and besure to remove the shell from the peas.

Flakes or pellets are a great staple to feed daily, if flakes are too big you can crunch them up I usually have to. lol. and you can use blood worms or what ever else you have or buy as a treat a couple times a week instead.. freeze dried options usually loose a lot of their nutrition through the process used to prepare them.

2 sparkling gouramis would be ok in a 10
or a single DG or Honey gourami

There are several types of gourami, some get really large, like 6 inches. The dwarfs, honeys and sparkling are all smaller gouramis. Opinions vary on this like everything else and some feel they need larger tanks.

I am not aware of any cichlids that would be good in a ten. Not to say there aren't but my cichlid knowledge is limited. All of the dwarfs I am aware of need 20 gallons. Generally though they are a more needed fish so they may not be a good option for him either.

I don't have much knowledge of cichlids, other than they're pretty fish with a hint of meanness. I've been told that's my personality, but that's always from people who were jerkwads to me and didn't like that I take after my dad who's a cop from one of the most dangerous cities in the country and that I have a fairly thick skin. Maybe that's why I like cichlids so much. Who knows? Anyway, I didn't know their care requirements or anything, but I have a ton of homework to do tonight and this weekend, and so didn't have an extra 3 hours to spend looking up cichlid species. One day, I will pleasure myself with a cichlid tank, but until then, I will dream. It was a thought, since he seems to like fish with a little meanness to them, but if it won't work, then it won't work. We'll see what we all come up with. He looked at a couple fish types he liked. Neon tetra jumbo and endler's livebearers. Anything on those I could pass on?

Like I said, tamtam, I was not meaning to go off on you. I'm sure you can understand from my point of view as everyone here has probably been there before. Every time I get a tank and set it up, I research the fish I wanna get and how to care for them and what they need. I've been looking at other fish forums at what other people say is best, although this is the only one I've gotten an account to. Every time I get the tank ready and set up and let it run a good day or two so that all the extra dirt and stuff is out of it, I go to get the fish or I put them in and do even more research and get told I did the whole thing wrong, the tank is too small, the fish is gonna suffer and die, the whole thing. I only have so much room in a dorm, and 10 is about as big as I have space for. I've always wanted a huge tank when I have a place of my own, and it makes it even more of a desire when I get told everything I've seen and done is wrong, even though I've read I don't know how many sources telling me mostly the same information on the fish's care. It's either keep researching and looking after my smaller tank, or just quit because of a bunch of people saying I'm just messing everything up. I greatly enjoy taking care of fish, but I can't have a massive tank right now. I admit I'm not an expert, but that's why I'm here asking questions and learning. I am doing what I can to have a little sense of a home in my dorm and a little bit of relaxing harmony during my stressful times studying and testing constantly. I was merely venting my frustration, and if it helps dull the issue, I am sorry I vented over what you said. I can avoid venting frustrations to other fish-keepers in the future. I just ask for advice and assistance keeping my 10-gal happy and my little area of zen while I'm staying in a room the size of a jail cell studying for hours on end to pass a test in a class I'm struggling a lot in. I did not mean to offend, and I did not mean to sound like I don't care. I do care; I just can't keep a 20 like many here can. I have no room for a tank that big until I can get a job and an apartment, and then I might have room for a 20, depending on the size of the apartment. Please understand my frustrations and please forgive me for venting here. I will avoid expressing my frustrations in the future.

I take no offense really. I know many people have different feelings and tone can easily get lost in a post when you just have words to convey what you mean. No need to apologize. So many people have different views and different feelings. I know a lot of things I feel are different than life long fish keepers here. All we can do is do the best we can. There are some solid yes and nos in fish keeping and a whole lot of grey. The grey is where a lot of conflict happens.

Fish keeping is complicated that's for sure and marketing doesn't help. You never hear people at the pet store or the instructions in the tank tell you to cycle. It is all a lot of mixed info and it is over whelming. Especially if you are trying and just starting out.

I don't have much knowledge of cichlids, other than they're pretty fish with a hint of meanness. I've been told that's my personality, but that's always from people who were jerkwads to me and didn't like that I take after my dad who's a cop from one of the most dangerous cities in the country and that I have a fairly thick skin. Maybe that's why I like cichlids so much. Who knows? Anyway, I didn't know their care requirements or anything, but I have a ton of homework to do tonight and this weekend, and so didn't have an extra 3 hours to spend looking up cichlid species. One day, I will pleasure myself with a cichlid tank, but until then, I will dream. It was a thought, since he seems to like fish with a little meanness to them, but if it won't work, then it won't work. We'll see what we all come up with. He looked at a couple fish types he liked. Neon tetra jumbo and endler's livebearers. Anything on those I could pass on?

endlers are perfect for a 10. Very similar to guppies and often cross bred but stunning none the less.

Cichlid are amazing fish and some can be down right nasty. lol. There is a good reason why they are so popular.

I don't think it's a huge issue as far as eating plants. He may snack on them once in a while but they aren't really too tough on plants IME. You could go with fake plants too if you are worried, they are just as good.

Usually I will line most of the back wall of my tank with plants. This makes them feel more secure. I then just add a few groupings of low to medium length plants in the rest of the tank. This is my tank with my honey to give you an idea. It does have more floating plants now which really helped bring him out of his shell. I had all of this stuff in a 20 and he was fine, upgraded to a 30 and he started hiding again. Floating plants do wonders and don't break the views.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - tamtam's Album: 30 gallon community - Picture

For food a variety is usually a good bet. I feed mine fresh veggies like peas and carrots for a treat. Just cook them til they are mushy and besure to remove the shell from the peas.

Flakes or pellets are a great staple to feed daily, if flakes are too big you can crunch them up I usually have to. lol. and you can use blood worms or what ever else you have or buy as a treat a couple times a week instead.. freeze dried options usually loose a lot of their nutrition through the process used to prepare them.

I don't like most fake plants. I had plastic fake ones in my first two tanks (too small for much of anything, I know, but it was a start), but I've had a lot of fish get stuck in them. Dmitri did, he was my first betta fish, and he was mean. Getting stuck probably didn't help much. My guppy fry got stuck and died in it. 13 fry, 11 of them lost in a plant, the other 2 were born mentally challenged and just died on their own. I got rid of it after 11 fry went magically missing in it. I have a fake silk one in the back of my tank that spreads out over a good lot of the back, and people here said that silk was safe. Maybe it moves more so fishies don't get stuck. Either way, I don't want any more stuck fish.

Needless to say, I'm super jealous of your tank. I so want a huge tank, but I can't have one yet. Guess I'll dream and stare at yours when I need a visual of the future of my tank hobby. I can look into flakes and pellets for gouramis while I'm out later on today. Will these be fine for the corys on the bottom if they sink down, or do I need a general pellet or flake?

endlers are perfect for a 10. Very similar to guppies and often cross bred but stunning none the less.

Cichlid are amazing fish and some can be down right nasty. lol. There is a good reason why they are so popular.

I love the looks and from what I've read the attitude of cichlids. I just don't have room for a cichlid tank. Sadly.

If he does go with endlers, and he wants gravel, is there a bottom feeder he could put in one, maybe two, of that could help clean the gravel for him? Personally, I've never figured out the art of using a gravel vacuum, hence the turkey baster, and so I'm not holding my breath that he will, either. And I pray he gets only males or only females. If not, and if they're anything like my guppies were when I had them, he will own an underwater brothel.

I don't like most fake plants. I had plastic fake ones in my first two tanks (too small for much of anything, I know, but it was a start), but I've had a lot of fish get stuck in them. Dmitri did, he was my first betta fish, and he was mean. Getting stuck probably didn't help much. My guppy fry got stuck and died in it. 13 fry, 11 of them lost in a plant, the other 2 were born mentally challenged and just died on their own. I got rid of it after 11 fry went magically missing in it. I have a fake silk one in the back of my tank that spreads out over a good lot of the back, and people here said that silk was safe. Maybe it moves more so fishies don't get stuck. Either way, I don't want any more stuck fish.

Needless to say, I'm super jealous of your tank. I so want a huge tank, but I can't have one yet. Guess I'll dream and stare at yours when I need a visual of the future of my tank hobby. I can look into flakes and pellets for gouramis while I'm out later on today. Will these be fine for the corys on the bottom if they sink down, or do I need a general pellet or flake?

aww thanks. My tank is really nothing special. I am going to switch it over to planted soon I hope, I just needed something to stick in there. some are silk and some are plastic. Plastic can be rough for anything with flowy fins, like betta because they can get tangled to easily in them and rip fins. I try to stick with ones that are smooth edged until I can afford to get my lighting upgraded and start planting. Sadly 30 gallons is about the biggest I'll be able to go for a while. Some day I hope to have a 50 but who knows when that will be. Probably when the littles are a lot older.

If they can get to the bottom they are fine. Just any general tropical flake or pellet will be fine. Some here prefer certain brands like Hikari. I have limited options here and just use a standard tetra brand tropical flake.. Corys are omnivores as well so they will eat almost anything, it's just the worry of over feeding in the process of getting the food down there. Most veggies will sink though. Just fish out the left overs after a few hours. You can also buy sinking pellets too. I've always just stuck with flakes so can't say much on that.

I love the looks and from what I've read the attitude of cichlids. I just don't have room for a cichlid tank. Sadly.

If he does go with endlers, and he wants gravel, is there a bottom feeder he could put in one, maybe two, of that could help clean the gravel for him? Personally, I've never figured out the art of using a gravel vacuum, hence the turkey baster, and so I'm not holding my breath that he will, either. And I pray he gets only males or only females. If not, and if they're anything like my guppies were when I had them, he will own an underwater brothel.

For clean up crew snails or shrimp are usually the best. Most others make more mess than they clean. lol.

If he tries a gravel vac suggest a smaller one. Smaller tanks can be tough to get a good gravel vac on because they remove so much water so fast.

I'm still working on figuring out how to get the right technique with my gravel vac and the sand. I keep sucking a lot up with the darn thing. I've seen people using smaller tubes with better success and may give that a try instead of my big vac. Seem easier to maneuver.

If your friend really wants cichlids he can look into the shell dwelling species. I have a pair of multis that are so much fun to watch. Lots of personality. He just needs to keep in mind that they are still cichlids and need the proper cichlid care. They also breed pretty quickly so he would need to find a place to sell his fry to because they would quickly crowd the tank.

BettaGal said:
I swear, every single time I set up a new tank somebody somewhere says it's too dang small. One of these days, I'll be a smart butt and get the biggest tank I can think of to find and load it with everything flashy and mean just to rub it in the next person's face. That's the most annoying statement I hear, and it's always within days of setting up the tank. Not meaning to jump on tamtam, just overly annoyed with every tank I set up being too small for anything. He's getting the stuff for the 10 tonight. If my guppies weren't so bad when I had them, I would recommend guppies. Mine only ate, pooped everywhere, and made babies 80 times a day. I don't even know what temperament he wants or anything.

Why wouldn't you just get all females then?

You should see if he would do a shrimp only tank or some other type of invert. You can make a ten gallon an amazing tank it's just a lot harder. Is he buying a tank with lights and everything? If not he could try to do a little planted tank.

For a ten gallon I would probably just go with some Pygmy Cories and some guppies... In a ten there isn't really much space but you can get a nice set up out of it. The size of tank in my eyes all depends on what you want to do with it. For example, if you only wanted a couple guppies in their own tank a ten would be great. If you want to keep some dwarf cichlids you need to go a bit bigger IMO. But a general rule is the bigger the tank, easier it is to take care of. In a smaller tank if you mess up it will have a greater impact then in a bigger tank since there is more water in it.

As far as I know, his tank has a lighted hood on it. Apparently he found one his family had before and is cleaning it. He was gonna buy a starter kit that had the tank, lighted hood, filter, and water conditioner, and maybe a heater, but I'm not positive on that one. And the reason I got a male and a female guppy when I had guppies was because (you guys' favorite reason for everything stupid) the fish person at the store told me I would want to get guppies for that tank and a male and female would be great. Needless to say, my grandma wasn't very happy I got a married couple of guppies and knew that I would have babies galore. And, well, after a ton of love-making and 13 babies later, they magically died of something we will never know. I was trying to find a bottom feeder simply because he's never had fish before and I'm borderline positive he will overfeed unintentionally and next thing we all know, massive mess and no idea how to clean it up. Pretty much my problem with the guppies. Overfed them not knowing what overfeeding did to them, extra food sunk to the bottom and since I had glass stones instead of gravel, it was hidden quite well, mixed with fish poop that they constantly ate off each other, and it was gross. The water was clear. The fish were gross. And the stones were . . . let's just not go there.

So he's got his tank that he's cleaning, but he has no idea what size it is. He measured it and says it 20x12.5x10 inches. Does anyone know what gallon size this is or how to figure it out and get close? He thought it was a 15, but I don't wanna get him stocked for a 15 and it turn out to not be a 15.

Back
Top Bottom