My ghost shrimp have eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madame_X

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tonight during a water change, I noticed two of the ghost shrimp in my 29 gallon tank are carrying eggs! I watched one fanning them for several minutes--it was fascinating!

Has anyone ever successfully raised ghost shrimp? I don't think I want to go to the trouble of putting them in their own tank (then again, maybe I will). The tank is moderately planted so there should be some good hiding places, but I've read that the fry are very small. I suspect they'll get eaten.

Oh well... they were originally bought for food for my puffer and got too big for him to eat, so I guess this is their way of contributing to the food chain. :lol:

From what I read, a species only tank is pretty much the only way to go. Though, you may get lucky and a few will survive.

Very nice, by reading you guy's post, I have no clue what my shrimps are anymore.

Yall have way bigger Ghost Shrimps than mine....

Don't feel bad, Tim. There was a batch of BIG ghost shrimp floating around a while back. It seemed like quite a few people ended up with some pretty large ones.

I'll try to get some pics of the ones holding eggs tomorrow... I didn't think to try!

I got lucky... I caught one hanging out under a log. She was an easy target! Look at the underside of her belly--you can see the eggs.

Here's the shot:

ghostwitheggs.jpg

I think I have a prego also. Does anyone know how long they stay connected to momma shrimp?

Thanks, Alli... I got lucky catching her under that log! :)

From what I've read, I don't figure I stand much of a chance raising any of the fry. But I've got at least two carrying eggs so hopefully I'll at least get to see them before they get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom