My goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

king8808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have a ten gallon tank I know that's small for the type of goldfish I got I'm getting a bigger tank today anyways I can't seem to control there ammonia level I'm using API ammo lock and it doesn't seem to help I am not sure what else to tryImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394285008.227909.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394285027.275325.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394285039.755868.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394285054.522723.jpg

If you have 4 goldfish you're gonna need a pretty big tank. You also need to look into cycling tanks.

I have a filtration system is that what you mean by cycling tank and I was gonna get a 20 gal temporally till I can afford bigger plus I have minimum space for a tank

No. Look up cycling, it's incredibly important. Also keep in mind some goldfish can reach 8" long. If you don't have room, donate three to your LFS.

We'll I figure as they grow I will get a tank but 2 of the fish I got had ich on them so I took them back one was my daughters and I had to replace that one with the exact one she has but the only one there was a bigger one so I got him any way I figure while there little the 20gal would be ok till they start getting bigger? But about every other day I have to change out there water due to ammonia but it still doesn't help

Stock for the tank you have, not the tank you want. Things happen and the tank doesn't get set up. You'll stunt your fish, which means externally they stop growing but internally keep going. Again, look up cycling. It's the most important part of a healthy tank.

I did and says pretty much not to have goldfish reason I picked them was for m daughter she liked them so I'm in a up and down

If you tell her the fish aren't happy I bet she'll understand, because that's truth.
Cycling is building up beneficial bacteria in a tank. Ammonia eating bacteria consumes ammonia, turning it to nitrite. Then, nitrite consuming bacteria convert it to nitrate, which is mostly fish safe at lower levels. Therefore, you have to get the bacteria built up otherwise you can do all the water changes you like and it won't do anything.

I used to have tiger dano but they killed each other and my sucker fish

I think those are giant danios and can get to be about 6"

The fish in the picture is a zebra danio. 1-1.5" is a typical size for them. Though they are small, they are not suitable for a 10g tank because they are very active.

Also, if you had fish with Ich in the tank, there is a chance that the skin pustules matured and burst, releasing numerous spores into the water. There is the potential for re-infection with any fish added to that tank.

Yea I cleared the tank of the ich it's no longer there and i found a way to control the ammonia I just got 2 20 gal tanks I made one salt water and one is fresh with two of the goldfish are in it and doing good and and one is on the ten gal tank and my daughter has hers in her ten gal tank so all 4 gold fish r doing good

Back
Top Bottom