My hippo tang disappeared...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait_Ls1

Aquarium Advice Activist
recently back I purchased a small hippo tang. maybe an 1" 3/4 in size or so. I've had her for about a month now and she has seemed to act normal. ate normal and swam around just fine. the other fish in the tank got along with her well. If you don't remember I had two clownfish, a foxface fish, purple firefish goby and a searpant starfish. I think it has been since yesterday and I have not seen my hippo tang. I've been home all day and she hasn't came out. Finally gave in to moving my rocks. well I moved 3 that I was able to and I'm able to see almost every spot in my tank. I can't figure out what happened to her. it seems as if she got taken out of the tank. Any ideals?

better mention one of my threads asking about that anemone. Could it have got her so quick as for any trace of her to be gone? It isn't that big either.

If you have checked around the tank it could jumped. If you have natural live rock with bristle worms they are excellent at cleaning up a dead fish in no time at all.

A friend of mine couldn't find his tomato clown fish for a day and a half. He called me to come get it out of a rock all we could see is the little tip of the red tail. Took us an hour to break the rock without hurting the fish. It is a little scarred up and now has an attitude but is fine.

mine hides in crevaces of the live rock to sleep, or just to hide. Even if you move the rock it could still be wedged in there.

K so my very large hermit died about a week before my tang dissapeared.. The other was tiny about the size of a dime and I know every crevace the tang slept in. Also we turned every rock and the crevaces in every rock weren't that small. Checked the filter and on the ground. I just don't get it. The anemone is a ball tip. Maybe? Find my thread it's tiny one

Honestly Its as if someone did steal it. Not a single sign it ever existed. Now I'm afraid to add anything new to the tank.

i had the same problem with one on my domino damsel and fire fish i never found it until i had to move my tank i found there tiny bones or things that look like bones

We have a brittle star and have come up with many missing animals..when we went on vacation 2 boxer shrimp came up missing...the star was also seen carrying our sand sifting star around in its mouth...his name is Bully....the sand sifter is completely gone, the manderine dragon is gone, the shrimp are gone...man that star has an expensive diet...he also has taken out a handful of hermit crabs. I do have to meantion that our protien filter has eaten 2 of our blue damsels...

I had an anemone eat a neon goby. I know because my cleaner shrimp pulled it out. You would be surprised how fast a cuc can finish a fish. I had a shrimp that died (also anemone ate and cleaner shrimp pulled out) and my snails polished it off in an hour or two.

Did you notice an ammonia or nitrite spike. That would be a sure sign of a dead fish or crab.

I change my water about 5 gallons a week. So I dout I would notice one. Secondly. I swear honestly there isn't ONE sign of this fish at all. It really feels as is someone would steal your dog but in the same case steal your fish?! I'm thinking you can't be serious. But I doubt that is what happened. I have looked over the area where my tank is. I'm afraid if it did get out my room mates German shephard would have gotten it. I have a firefish goby and that thing doesn't go more than 6 inches from the bottom unless he is eating

Between the bacteria and the CUC a small fish gets eaten up really fast in a SW system.

Back
Top Bottom