my how times have changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe-joe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
well about 15 years ago i was heavy into the sw hobby.had a 70 gal tank mounted in the closet of a joining room to my living room with just the face picture framed for display.man was that cool.
back in the day i was state of the art,wet dry with a canister for mechanical 4-strip fluorescent on timers going from actinic to full sun then slowly back again.ran a ug with 4 power heads and cc.i even had the rarely heard of and thought of as unnessary protein skimmer.the tank was always clinical clean and healthy.then i got divorced and left it all behind to rot away and die.i heard from my freinds how bad my once loved tank had become.till it was finaly torn down and the hole in the wall repaired.
now it's time to get back into it.and i can't beleave how things have changed.live rock was only for the elite of keepers and status was determined by how many filters you had.lol.now lr is recommended to newbes less is more and the coveted wet-dry is out the window.cycleing with damsels is not recomended and ug's are unhears of.i've been brushing up for awhile now and it actually seems simpler nowadays,let the critters do the work,cool.
about the only things i took with me were some test kits and a bag of salt both are probly no good anymore but i'm still doing my research and gathering equiptment.the internet was't commonplace then but i'm glad to have it now.this is a great site and i'm glad to have it.i'm sure i'll have questions in the future as the teacher has now become the student. :oops:

I know how you feel. I left the hobby in 1985 only to return 5 months ago. Things change, evolve and reevolve.

Something to keep in mind though and at the risk of sounding like Forrest Gump, "momma always said, keep your old cloths, someday they will come back in style.

I have the feeling the same is true of this hobby. So keep your old UG filter,CC etc. in the closet for now. Someday it will come back in style. :D

I dont know about that natman :lol: but welcome back and let us know if you need anything

Back
Top Bottom