My Ich Treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hope this helps some folks. Last Friday I bought some Longfin leopard danios from my LFS. Beautiful fish.......Anyhow I got them home and acclimated in my usual way. 20 minutes in bag for temp adjustment, pour out 1/3 water add tank water x 3. Eveything was fine. Monday, danios covered in white salt like spots. I knew immediately what it was...ICH.. I have read on several different treaments for several hours. Decided to go with the Heat- Salt method. Now,.. my stock includes:

7 cardinal neon
5 panda corys
5 longfin leopard danios
3 platy
2 dwarf gourami
1 guppy

I oh so slowly raised my tank temperature to 87-88,while adding my salt , which I put in a cup with tank water at a ratio of roughly 1 tablespoon to 10 gallons. This is day 4 of this treatment. No losses at all so far. Everything is doing really well. You can not tell a difference in the fishes behavior. My plants(20+) are showing no ill signs, so far. My danios are completely clean. However the parasite did spread to my platy and tetra. All but 1 spot on 1 tetra remains And 2-3 spots per platy.
The panda cory are doing great. They are their usual playful selfs. I will keep ya'll updated as I hope this will help others. I feel for certain this is the best way to go about it with the stock I have. I have been doing a thorough gravel vac every other day.

Good luck I used super ich by API and it was gone in my dads a couple days after first treatment and still gone a month later. He already had some salt in water an temps upped to 85

Well ou could move plants to a bucket and treat tank and wait a few weeks to put the back in cuz without a host ich dies

You may want to consider a small QT tank. I bought some corys I knew were exposed to ich and I have been QT'ing them for some time now even though they don't show any signs of illness. I'm a firm believer in QT but some people are not.

I hope this helps some folks. Last Friday I bought some Longfin leopard danios from my LFS. Beautiful fish.......Anyhow I got them home and acclimated in my usual way. 20 minutes in bag for temp adjustment, pour out 1/3 water add tank water x 3. Eveything was fine. Monday, danios covered in white salt like spots. I knew immediately what it was...ICH.. I have read on several different treaments for several hours. Decided to go with the Heat- Salt method. Now,.. my stock includes:

7 cardinal neon
5 panda corys
5 longfin leopard danios
3 platy
2 dwarf gourami
1 guppy

I oh so slowly raised my tank temperature to 87-88,while adding my salt , which I put in a cup with tank water at a ratio of roughly 1 tablespoon to 10 gallons. This is day 4 of this treatment. No losses at all so far. Everything is doing really well. You can not tell a difference in the fishes behavior. My plants(20+) are showing no ill signs, so far. My danios are completely clean. However the parasite did spread to my platy and tetra. All but 1 spot on 1 tetra remains And 2-3 spots per platy.
The panda cory are doing great. They are their usual playful selfs. I will keep ya'll updated as I hope this will help others. I feel for certain this is the best way to go about it with the stock I have. I have been doing a thorough gravel vac every other day.

Yup. I did basically the same thing. Much less ich to begin with but same treatment. The salt I used recommends 1 tbs per 5 gallons and I do water changes with 7 gallon rubbermaids. So I just put 1 tbs in each 7 gallon bucket and did a 50% water change. It cleared up in 36 hours. Now I do all my water changes like that. Fish are happy and healthy:) my false Julii Corys are happy as well! Ive read that salt affects corrys a bit but mine seem happy still :)

Just an update...so far everythings good. All but two spots are gone......and I now have 24 fish?.......... Nah, really..little gold baby swimmin' around..

Just an update...Been 1 week and no losses. Plants and fish are doin' great. My Plus 1 is also doing well. All signs or ick are gone. Will bring temp. back down Wed. or Thur.

Excellent! Good to hear Thumper!

Glad the heat method worked for you Thumper828. I got a case of it in my 29 gallon. Since Dojo Loaches and Rainbow Shark cannot handle the salt and heat method, I was advised by LFS to use QuiCK Cure at 80 degrees one drop per two gallons.

Fortunately, Ich was gone in four-five days and I learned many lessons. I found this article to be especially helpful:

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Turns out the "active ingredients" (Formalin and Malachite Green) in the medication I used are the most common and most effective. The most important lesson I learned is to never pour water from the fish store "travel bags" into my tanks.

(quaranteen while optimal just isn't very practical for most folks).

Glad the heat method worked for you Thumper828. I got a case of it in my 29 gallon. Since Dojo Loaches and Rainbow Shark cannot handle the salt and heat method, I was advised by LFS to use QuiCK Cure at 80 degrees one drop per two gallons.

Fortunately, Ich was gone in four-five days and I learned many lessons. I found this article to be especially helpful:

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Turns out the "active ingredients" (Formalin and Malachite Green) in the medication I used are the most common and most effective. The most important lesson I learned is to never pour water from the fish store "travel bags" into my tanks.

(quaranteen while optimal just isn't very practical for most folks).

I was really researching that quick cure pretty hard. Do you have Plants? If so, did they do alright through the treatment?

Did it dye the water? Thanks. Just like to know..lol

I was really researching that quick cure pretty hard. Do you have Plants? If so, did they do alright through the treatment?

I have fake "silk" plants so I cannot comment on that issue. However, I can tell you I was very happy that the neither the water nor anything else turned blue despite a warning to that effect on the label.

The only thing I did extra was remove the Purigen from the filter and do a 20% water change and gravel vacuum immediately before the treatment and a 25% change and gravel vacuum after the treatment period was over. (I just packed extra floss in the "carbon chamber." During the treatment, my water stayed clear. I have heard people say they use carbon to remove medication ...... but I'm not going to bother. Oops .... I forgot to replace the Purigen ... I guess I'll do that right now !!

I used a product call ick away twice and it colored the water blue for a about 48 hours but it all the blue faded away. No noticeable discoloration anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom