My Impulse Buy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
(Before you ask--I do not have a digital camera--yet :x)

Achirus achirus, aka the dwarf freshwater flounder!
At least that's what I think (hope) they are. I brought home three--the smallest is 1/2" around and the largest is almost an inch around. They are currently in a QT tank with a sand base. The guy at the LFS said they were FW only, but I am willing to bet they can go brackish--any thoughts/comments??

I also brought home a clown pleco--gorgeous pleco!!!
And before I knew it, a red female betta jumped into my basket :roll: This is what I do when I go to the LFS by myself :oops: Then, when I got home, my fiance was "disappointed" that I didn't wait for him. Now I feel like dirt :( I'll go watch my new fish (well, the ones I can see) for awhile.

awesome. oh how the mighty have fallen. now how does it feel. lol jk

why dont you get one of those disposable digital camras. I WANT PICTURES!.

or just get a scanner and buy the pics and scan them but that might take awhile. and youll probally go through those film rolls soo fast

Those darn bettas....always *jumping* into baskets in the lfs. Everytime we go to the lfs, my fiance wants to bring one home to "save" it from the cups. Please, Please get a camera, I wanna see the "flounders"!

Menagerie...next time you go to the lfs by yourself, leave your purse at home!:D
FW flounder - really sounds interesting. I can't wait for pics either.

Well, they all hid in the sand :?
I called this an impulse buy because I didn't go in there for flounder. I went looking at Badis (notice how no Badis came home with me :(). At least I was able to get the scientific name and all the info I possibly could before leaving the LFS.
My fiance has wanted flounder for the brackish tank that we don't have yet. Now, I really have to go find bumble bee gobies and set the 29 gal up for brackish. It currently houses some community fish that will happily go back in the 50 (along with the new pleco and betta). The Mollies will come out of the community and start a new life as brackish fish. (Everyone has trouble with too many fry--my only male died a while back--I need live foods for my gobies and flounder!!)
The fun just never ends around here! :roll:

Menagerie, do you have any experience with those clown plecos? I just got one myself last week. He is getting more active, even sometimes coming out when the lights are on even though I've read he is nocturnal. I've seen his little poops on the driftwood I put in there for him. I just don't know how to feed him! My swordtails and yo-yo loaches gobble everything I put in no matter whether the light is out or not!

What are you doing to feed him? Or are you just letting him scavenge?

Paul

I am hoping my clown pleco does what my other 5 plecos do! I feed them algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber and peas. The other fish eat this also, but plecos are great at going along and munching up the leftovers--including flake, blood worms and brine shrimp. I'll bet your pleco is doing just fine :D
Some plecos don't believe they have to be nocturnal and some you will never see, YMMV :wink:

My wife had four new "Betta Girls" (Her petname for females) jump into her basket the other day. She had lost one of her three in a 10gal tank and the two left started mauling each other for tank dominance so she had to put'em in floaters to seperate'em, went and bought the new girls, released the four new girls, gave'em two days to get established, then last night we let the two "MUCH" larger girls out and it was total peace and love (They didn't even flare at each other or the newest girls 8O ).

If it makes you happy, I scanned in some Mbuna cichlid tank shots :D

I thought I had lost one of my flounders this morning! I went to the tank and scooped out the folded up flounder (well, what I thought was a flounder). I had my little baggie ready so it could go back to the LFS and I realized it was a large water-logged piece of algae wafer. I had tossed in for the pleco. *WHEW* That's what I get for staying up on AA way too late last night and getting up at 7:15 :roll:

This impulse buy is going to get me in the long run :roll:
I returned to the LFS with my fiance yesterday since he didn't get to go on Thursday. I read up on flounders, know that none of them stay FW for their entire life (no problem, was going brackish anyway) and they like foods they can ambush. Again, no problem, I'll put Mollies in there as planned. I ran into the guy that helped me out and said I looked for info on them. He said he has also. He told me they need brackish water and were predatory--Great!...until he said they may reach the size of dinner plates. Well, they are all under an inch around right now, so I picked my jaw up off the ground and went to buy Mollies.
While I was there, I picked up two more Badis badis for the 10 gal hex and went home to do some tank rearranging.
The Badis are happily in QT with the female betta. I changed out the substrate in the 29 gal from gravel to sand and put the tetras back in the community tank. Then I added in the flounder and Mollies to their new home. Still looking for Bumble bee gobies to complete my brackish set up.

*sigh* What am I going to do if they reach dinner plate size???

yeah i saw some flounders at my lfs 2. they looked like my hong kong pleco from the glass (hillstream loach)

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
My littlest flounder was dead this evening :cry: and one of my new Mollies is not looking so well.
Very annoyed this evening :(

I don't know if the flounder was a "runt"--it was just the smallest fish I brought home from the LFS.
By the time I saw it, fins were frayed, but I won't even guess if that happened before or after death.

Back
Top Bottom