My journey with my new 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'd have to agree and say if there is that dramatic of a difference you might have something in your tank affecting pH. Also pH changers can do more harm than good, so I'd try to get to the root of the problem.

One thing you can try is take one or two rocks from your tank and place them in a bowl with tap water. Do the same in another bowl but with some sand and tap water. Thirdly, place some tap water in a bowl with no rocks or sand. That will serve as a control. Let them sit overnight and test the pH. This will help rule out the sand and perhaps some of the rocks as a cause for the elevated pH. If the tap water (by itself) measures higher than 7.5 after sitting overnight then that means some of the dissolved gasses right out of the tap are lowering the pH. Once the gasses leave the tap water, the true pH is revealed.

My dad's back! I'm gong to take out 1 rock and do the test. Besides that I just screwed up real bad! I went to add ph remover since my ph is anywhere from 7.4 to 8.0 I couldn't determine. So I though I was addin ph down and I wad actually adding ammonia down! I immediately Did a 5 gal change, as I'm putting water in I realise theirs tons of ants! Everywhere! In the tank! I got some out but some still in! How bad is this?i can't test now but will tommorow setting up test as we speak.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398991323.344934.jpg test set up! Tommorow I will test aquarium stats, test ph test, do what I need to do accoriding to results and log data.

I'd hold off adding anything that alters the pH and do the testing described a few posts back when you get a chance.

I don't think the ants are a problem for the tank but their presence in the house might be a concern. Don't use insecticide spray near the tank! For ant control i recommend a product called Terro. Toxic clear syrup like liquid that the ants feed on and bring back to the nest. Just keep away from pets.

First day ph test results in! Water and sand 8-8.2 tap water- 8-8.2 water with rock- 7.4- 8.0

that's....weird (or is it me?). So the tap water and the sand had a higher pH than the rock??

Ikr, maybe I jested tested wrong? I'm going to test it against and my tank. Could I add my 6th panda corie?

Update! I tested the tank this morning, ph 7.4 to 7.6 ammonia: 0- .25 NitrIte- 0 NitrAte-20 ppm. All the plants are doing well, two things, should I do a 5 gal change? And do you think I could add my 6th panda Cory

So controlling pH without chemicals is essentially adding decore/media to your tank that alter pH slightly and over time. Such as lime and coral to raise pH, driftwood and peat to lower. To be honest your tank seems to have a fine pH....why do you want to change it? Unless it's super extreme, a stable pH is much better than the "optimum" pH

So controlling pH without chemicals is essentially adding decore/media to your tank that alter pH slightly and over time. Such as lime and coral to raise pH, driftwood and peat to lower. To be honest your tank seems to have a fine pH....why do you want to change it? Unless it's super extreme, a stable pH is much better than the "optimum" pH

Well when I finished my stock on AqAdvisor it said I need a ph between, 6.4 to 7 but then again go wasn't allowed to add apistogramma cac's because on aqaadvior they don't have it.

Never mind! I'm fine! Apistgramma cac's are from 6.5 to 8.0!

and that's ideal, but really, most fish can adapt just fine. Of course there are a few delicate fish (discus come to mind) that don't, but most species are ok.

Back
Top Bottom