My journey with my new 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also that fish may have been died for awhile so that's why my parameters may have been all over.

Yep, that would probably elevate it. Good idea to remove it promptly. I should practice what I preach. I have had 2-3 fish die off in my 20g long tank over the last year. Never found the bodies probably because the tank is over grown with plants. Maybe the Amano shrimp feasted on them...idk.

Hi! Did another 5 gal change. Here's a pic of the new scape! Do you think I should test my parameters? I won't be able to do another water change because my parents are going out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398543775.159798.jpg also, I got moneywort because the lady at pet smart said I have enough light. Was she right?

Looks good!
If you get the chance, test at least the ammonia to see if the WCs have been helping.
Crypts go in the substrate. Don't plant the crowns too deep.
Plants that are sold in bunches should be planted individually with each stem about about 0.5-1.0" apart. This will allow light to get to the lower portions of the plant.
I've never owned moneywort but I hear it is a low light plant.

Tested for ammonia and NitrIte. Ammonia: 0 NitrIte: between .25 and .50

Hi! All cories doing great this morning. I'm going to wicked, on broadway, so I won't be here in the afternoon. I could probably do a small water change and add some ammonia decrease. Suggestions?

Enjoy the play! Heard great reviews about it.
I would not add anything to decrease the ammonia if you are reading zero. A WC to help with the nitrites might be helpful.

Play was great! Came home to some stunning tests! I did a 5 gallon change. I tested vendor I did the change. Ammonia: 0 NitrIte: 0-.25 NitrAte: 40 - 80 ppm! Wow! So NitrAtes way high! Does it sound like I'm on my way to greeting things better? What should I do for the NitrAtes?

The ammonia spike has been converted to nitrates and that's a good thing. WCs to reduce the high nitrates.
Off topic: Was the play in NYC?

No. Richmond VA, I wish it was in NYC. Ok I'll do some more water changes today.

Oops! I forgot to test before I did a 5 gal change. I will test tommorow!

Tested: Ammonia: 0 NitrIte: 0 NiRATe: 10-20 ppm. Ph was high at 8.2 I added ph down. I can do some more stuff tommorow.

Also when watching I noticed that on some of thier gills they look a little metallic I will get a pic?

Just went back down to get a PC and could not see it on any fish! Guess it was lighting, I tested again for ph: 7.4-.2 ish.

I would hold off on adding pH Down (or pH Up). A pH of 8.2 is fine for FW fish. The only exception would be particular sensitive species. Stability is your friend. Just keep up with your water changes. You should test the pH your tap water straight from the faucet and again after it sits out for 24 hours. If the pH from the tap is much lower than 8.2 then it would suggest that something in the tank is raising it.

Back
Top Bottom