My Last Addition to my First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I made the neatest purchase... Well, I really wanted to get a pleco but just couldn't find a small one that would suit my tank. Both of my lfs in my area only had HUGE ones (full grown - 12" long or so). (sorry jchillin! LOL) So I was going to leave empty-handed - when I saw him.... the neatest prettiest Clown Loach ever! In a tank all alone with some koi angels. I couldn't resist... he's kind of big already - about 3.5". The biggest fish in my tank now.

Anyway, we decided to call him Twister because when he was still in the bag floating at the top of the tank, he didn't move. Scared me- I was wondering if he had died. When it was time to cut him loose, it was like a tornado hit the tank. He went BERSERK which the rest of my fish did not take too kindly to. But after about 20 minutes he retreated to the cave and all has been peaceful ever since. He pretty much keeps to himself now although my GBR pesters him a little bit. I'm keeping my eye on them.

This morning he came out to eat with everyone else and I was able to get a picture. Right now he is eating Flake food cuz thats all I have- but I've got bloodworms and some of those sinking wafers on the way from Big Al's. They should be here Monday or Tuesday.

img_568141_0_45c61e83371b52dffc5e13179ae299ae.jpg

Can anyone give me additional advice on him - is the diet OK? (bloodworms and sinking wafers). How much bigger is he going to get? and would everyone agree my tank is now at full capacity? Or have I overstocked?

Clown loaches are beautiful fish. They can get to be well over 12" in some cases. They need a big tank as they grow and they are a schooling fish and do need tankmates. For the time being he will be fine in your tank but he does need friends so you will either have to get at least 2 more and plan on a bigger tank in the future or unfortunately you will end up having to return him to the lfs. They are extremely entertaining to watch, especially when there are a few of them. I started mine out in a 29 gal, now they are in a 125 gal tank. Congratulations he is a cutie.

Jchillin did a great profile: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64446

I have four in my tank, and they are so much fun to watch, especially at feeding time. They constantly chase each other around. As far as food, they eat pretty much anything. I have one in particular that is really prone to overeating when I drop in wafers, which seem to be their favorite food. They really go to town, and start making their "clicking" noise when they find the wafer fragments I drop in (I break into smaller pieces so the largest loach can't hog the whole thing).

One thing to watch: I've had two bouts of ich in my tank so far, and each has started with the clown loaches. Watch yours closely! They can get it really bad, really quickly. I was sucessful the first time using heat and a small amount of sea salt. (well, mostly successful once I caught the problem anyway... :( )

EDIT: Also, here's a link to a short, recent link about some concerns I had regarding my loaches: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=579158#579158

oh.. hmmm... I did not think to buy others because at the store, he was in a tank all by himself. Well, he was the only clown loach- the tank was full of Koi Angels. I'm not sure- with my current bioload- could I add another one or 2?
Of course I'm totally addicted to this hobby now and was planning on getting a bigger tank- maybe this summer after I saved up some money. Can he live alone for now and then transplant him and get him some friends in 6 months or so? Or if that is inhumane in some way and I need to move quicker-let me know - I want to do whats right for my babies. :)

aquanewbie said:
Both of my lfs in my area only had HUGE ones (full grown - 12" long or so). (sorry jchillin! LOL)

Don't despair...there is still time. :)

Despite not getting a pleco, the clown is a great addition, though what Zagz mentioned is absolutely correct. Time to start looking for that larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom