My levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So everything across the bored is 0 are my plants eating up my nitrates

What is the question? Or are you just happy to have perfect water parameters? If so, congrats :)

eco23 said:
Did you / how did you cycle the tank? What do you currently have stocked?

I was new to this so I did a fish cycle my stock is
12 neon tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras
6 harlequin rasborias
5 guppies
2 cockatoo cichlid (breeding pair)
1 powder blue dwarf gourami
2 mystery snails

mudraker said:
What is the question? Or are you just happy to have perfect water parameters? If so, congrats :)

The question was I have no nitrates even though I'm cycled I was wanting to know if my plants are taking the nitrates

My first question would be what type of test kit are you using. Strips are notoriously inaccurate. I'd run out and get an API Master test kit (liquids) if you don't already have one. I'd bet $10 it's a faulty reading. It is possible for plants to cause 0 nitrAtes...but you'd virtually need a forest in there.

eco23 said:
My first question would be what type of test kit are you using. Strips are notoriously inaccurate. I'd run out and get an API Master test kit (liquids) if you don't already have one. I'd bet $10 it's a faulty reading. It is possible for plants to cause 0 nitrAtes...but you'd virtually need a forest in there.

I'm using an api master test kit and I'm pretty stocked on plants I've got 14 plants in a 55 gallon I dont know if that's enough like ur saying I'm just wondering

xfactor6699 said:
I'm using an api master test kit and I'm pretty stocked on plants I've got 14 plants in a 55 gallon I dont know if that's enough like ur saying I'm just wondering

I honestly don't know enough about pants to tell you that X number of plants = Y reduction of nitrAtes...but assuming that you're doing the tests right (TONS of people mess up the nitrAte test, not shaking the #2 solution long enough, not shaking test tube for 1 minute...), then the plants must be responsible. The tank if obviously cycled if you have that many fish and the ammo and nitrIte are at 0. So at least there's no worry there.

eco23 said:
I honestly don't know enough about pants to tell you that X number of plants = Y reduction of nitrAtes...but assuming that you're doing the tests right (TONS of people mess up the nitrAte test, not shaking the #2 solution long enough, not shaking test tube for 1 minute...), then the plants must be responsible. The tank if obviously cycled if you have that many fish and the ammo and nitrIte are at 0. So at least there's no worry there.

I redid my testing and added more time to my nitrate test u were right wasn't doing them long enough my numbers are
Ammonia .25(doing water change)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10

Sry about all the confusion lol

eco23 said:
Have you made any changes recently? Changed filters? Recently added fish?

I added fish sat but there not in there anymore and everything else is the same I think I was just doing a rookie mistake with the nitrate test

xfactor6699 said:
I added fish sat but there not in there anymore and everything else is the same I think I was just doing a rookie mistake with the nitrate test

The ammo amount is what makes me ask. It should always be 0 in a cycled tank. Adding fish, changing filters, aggressive vacuuming...all these things can cause mini cycles and lead to an ammonia spike.

eco23 said:
The ammo amount is what makes me ask. It should always be 0 in a cycled tank. Adding fish, changing filters, aggressive vacuuming...all these things can cause mini cycles and lead to an ammonia spike.

The reason those fish that I said I put in sat aren't there cause they all died in like 7 hours and spiked the crap out of my ammonia this happened yesterday so after this water change I should be right back on track I hope

Hmm... Any idea what killed them? .25 ammo shouldn't kill anything off in 7 hours. Not to be silly, but have you double checked your method of the other tests? Some people forget to add both ammo solutions. and the nitrIte test is a nice baby blue? How about pH?

Not to mention, having a few fish in for 7 hours shouldn't have spiked ammo so quickly. It would take them a while to produce enough waste to change the levels.

They all died from fin rot which they had from the lfs and I didn't catch it I was so mad

eco23 said:
Not to mention, having a few fish in for 7 hours shouldn't have spiked ammo so quickly. It would take them a while to produce enough waste to change the levels.

I put them in sat they died yesterday

Back
Top Bottom