my LFS is stumped -6" GREEN WORM!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
saw this last night (after dark) - it was like a snake....green.....zooming around my tank - tried to get some shots of it.....

can anyone PLEASE PLEASE help me figure out what the heck this is and if it needs to be removed???

greenworm - Debby Goldman Photography

freaky! I'm sorry I'm no help but I want to follow just to find out
this is my first set up with Live Rock. I've kept fish for many yrs, but SANDY, which shut our electrical power for 5 days killed my fish. So, I decided to empty, clean, upgrade my sump/skimmer, and add some live rock to the tank and to the bio filter.

there are about 18 damsels, one juv French Angel, one Red Sea Sailfin, one Hippo tang, a few hermit & emerald crabs and some snails.

Interesting critter. I had something very similar in a tank 15 years ago except it was a little shorter with a bright red head. I didn't know then or now what it was lol. The body was that same green smooth look though. Does yours have a "head".

Bob,

Can I put my snails and crabs into my sump (there are live rocks in it) for a few days or so? I do think that thing is eating (at least one snail so far) and if I can deprive it of my live critters as food, perhaps I can trap it in a bottle with food in it? Will the snails and crabs (hermit and emerald) be OK in the sump for a bit?

Wild looking Green worm (probably) id'ed

Credit to Ron Shimek, PhD

He's not 100% sure, and can't be without a specimen to examine, but based upon his description (below) I'm confident that he nailed it.

Palola individuals live in reef rocks and are eunicid worms. They may get big, some specimens are over 2 m (6.6 ft) long. Each worm spends its entire life living in a burrow in the reef and extending from the burrow to feed on many things - they are sort of omnivorous predators. They eat just about anything that they can catch. The upside is that they can't catch a lot. Most mobile animals can escape. They may nibble on soft corals or sponges, though. Other eunicids get much larger than Palola, and the green color of Palola individuals is fairly distinctive.

When the time comes to spawn, the worm remodels or converts part of its body into a disposable reproductive structure. This is, in effect, a clone of itself, that buds off the adult worms body. This clone remains attached to the adult/parent until the reproductive event. It lacks the gut and most of the muscular system. The nervous system is also rudimentary. The whole interior this clone, while it is attached to the adult is filled with either eggs or sperm.

When the night of reproduction occurs, and these events are very specifically timed, all the Palola on a reef release their clones into the water. The worms tend to swim upward and writhe around a lot, often rupturing their body walls and releasing the gametes (sperm or eggs) carried within.

(once I read this I realized that the worm appeared to be breaking up...)

Fertilization occurs into the sea and eventually larvae form which find a new reef and settle to grow up to be adults in the reef rock. The adults may live for many years releasing a cloned body each year at spawning time. See here: Palolo worm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These spawning bodies are called epitokes, or sometimes heteronereids. And a single epitoke is what I think was in your tank. The color and dimensions fit very well for some epitokes but, as I said, for confirmation I'd need a specimen. These are not uncommon in reef tanks, the worms arrive in "live rock" and will do well in some tanks. These released epitokes are harmless, and actually are good fish food (and human food, too - they are common enough during some spawning events that some island cultures harvest them as food). Samoa Worm Sperm Spawns Annual Fiesta

Back
Top Bottom