My little divas: I have discus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I hadn't replied to this yet because I really just didn't know the answer. 8.5 seems awfully high, but on the other hand I have read accounts of discus adapting to harder water, I just don't know how far outside of their preferred range you can go with them. Jessica rose mentioned that her tap water was at 7.0, there's no way I'd mess with adjusting that. It's close enough. Our water here is very soft, pH about 6.5 so it's great for discus, however I do have to use buffer to keep my rift Lake cichlids alive. I was under the impression that it is easier/more stable to buffer up than down, but I can't speak from experience there since I have only buffered up.

3-5 times a week is what I've heard recommended for adults, or every other day, something like that. I'm still on the 100% daily schedule and will be for the foreseeable future. :p

The next part of my research is going to my lfs who sell them locally and start asking questions about their water conditions/situation. Sounds like I may be considering the wrong end of the cichlid spectrum, which is ok. Just saving myself money and heartache I hope :)

I also have barebottom tank. How are these 100% wc done because i will totally do that instead
It's not exactly 100%, but I drain the tank down to the trim and refill. The fish are still covered with water, but are laying sideways until the tank fills a couple of inches.

I didn't cycle my tank. It had other fish in it up to several weeks prior to bringing the discus home. With as much water as I change, I haven't had any trouble.

Less talk... more pictures!!. :)
Mama.. tree, jess.. you ever see aggression with these guys? I was doing my normal drool session at the discus tank last week and there was one cowering in the corner with the stress lines going bad.. another was just repetitively ramming and nipping it in the mid section.. pretty bad.. what causes this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Less talk... more pictures!!. :)
Mama.. tree, jess.. you ever see aggression with these guys? I was doing my normal drool session at the discus tank last week and there was one cowering in the corner with the stress lines going bad.. another was just repetitively ramming and nipping it in the mid section.. pretty bad.. what causes this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually have seen it a couple times. Generally it's thought to be a dominance thing. Alpha over bravo or could go back to the whole picture of not having the minimum recommended number in the group. In some cases it has been thought that possibly the bullied fish is sick and tank mates are doing what they can to "euthanize" or separate the fish, similar to how they would in the wild, by picking on it till it succumbs and either dies from stress or leaves the school so the others don't "catch" what it might have. Since we keep them in little glass cages, there is no escape and death is usually the outcome. The most important part of the puzzle is the number in the group as pointed out above.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

When first starting out with discus, we only had one for a few days, than accompanied it with two others. Three was a terrible number and the biggest of the three nipped at the other two, until the other two turned on the one. So then we got the right amount after realizing our temporary mistake. We still have one that is so territorial around food, but the others push through and eat anyway.

Back
Top Bottom