My longgg fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I'm getting really frustrated with my cycle and starting to lose faith. I started my second attempt on may 27th, I'm converting 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours my nitrite has been off the chart since since June 21st. My nitrate has never risen above 5ppm.
My ph is around 7.4 I had a ph crash a week ago and did a water change using a Water conditioner. I am unable to find anyone with a tank to get some seeded media so I'm a little frustrated. I have a bubble wand going and dropped the water so the spray bars rippling the water surface. Temps at 82deg.

I guess I'm just asking if I'm doing anything wrong from what I've wrote above. Or do I just need a bit more patience? Thanks in advance

Axel

if it were me, I would get the nitrites down to a readable level and continue to wait it out. A pH crash seems to be not too uncommon with the amount of nitrification going on, so you could have experienced a stall.

It shouldn't be much longer.

I could send you seeded media, you don't live that far from me...

It would have to be next day shipping but it shouldn't cost you more than £8ish ?

Let me know if your interested.

if it were me, I would get the nitrites down to a readable level and continue to wait it out. A pH crash seems to be not too uncommon with the amount of nitrification going on, so you could have experienced a stall.

It shouldn't be much longer.

+1 agreed. High nitrites for a long time can stall the cycle. Do some big water changes until you can measure the nitrites on the test kit, between 1-2 is good, then it should kick-start.

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought it might be due to way high nitrite levels. How big of a water change would I do, A couple of 50% ones or bigger?

Hey Aaron, cheers for the offer. I'm going to wait a little longer see what happens after some water changes. If I have no luck with that I'll give you a shout lol.

Axel said:
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought it might be due to way high nitrite levels. How big of a water change would I do, A couple of 50% ones or bigger?

Hey Aaron, cheers for the offer. I'm going to wait a little longer see what happens after some water changes. If I have no luck with that I'll give you a shout lol.

Personally I'd shoot for .5 to 1. It may take several back to back 50% pwc's to bring it down if they have climbed high enough. I think that once you get them down...it shouldn't be long until things finish up :)

Will do that eco, thanks. One last question, i have been dosing back up to 4ppm each day. Should I do this after I do the 50% water changes?

Axel said:
Will do that eco, thanks. One last question, i have been dosing back up to 4ppm each day. Should I do this after I do the 50% water changes?

It's okay to go 3-4 days dosing only 1ppm every 24 hrs. Hopefully this will keep the no2 down and can help the no2 > no3 bacteria catch up. I wouldn't do it for more than the few days though because you don't want the bacteria to start adjusting to the difference in ammo. So bump it back up after a bit :)

Well it took 5 back to back 50% water changes have dosed it back up to around 1ppm, waters turned a bit cloudy.

See how how the next few days go, fingers crossed.

Axel said:
Well it took 5 back to back 50% water changes have dosed it back up to around 1ppm, waters turned a bit cloudy.

See how how the next few days go, fingers crossed.

Keep upthe good work.

So 2 days after my water changes and only adding 1 ammo a day I'm finally seeing more than 5 nitrate. It's sitting at 10 or 20, as for nitrite it's at 5 but I don't think it's off the chart as when I did the test it started light blue and slowly got darker.

I'm keeping an eye on my ph it's dropped to around 7.2. So today I'm adding more ammonia and I'm just not sure at what point I will need to do another pwc? Thanks in advance, Axel

Axel said:
So 2 days after my water changes and only adding 1 ammo a day I'm finally seeing more than 5 nitrate. It's sitting at 10 or 20, as for nitrite it's at 5 but I don't think it's off the chart as when I did the test it started light blue and slowly got darker.

I'm keeping an eye on my ph it's dropped to around 7.2. So today I'm adding more ammonia and I'm just not sure at what point I will need to do another pwc? Thanks in advance, Axel

I'd just keep it going for a few more days. Knocking down the no2 can help speed things up and prevent stalls...but that said, many people go through the entire process without a single water change. Your call. I'd wait it out a few more days, and consider pwc's after that point. Just keep dosing the ammo up every 24 hours. Don't leave it at 1ppm for too long, bump it back up to 4ppm soon.

Well today was not a good day! After testing my water every thing was cool all tests were going in the right direction.
Then I notice my eheim 2215 canister filter spitting out air. Had a problem with it for a while now. Like it's leaking in air from somewhere. So I messes about with the seals and broke the elbow joint going into the canister.
So now I have a the filter that came with the tank going and my media from the broke one in there with it. I have a replacement part coming tomorrow Just hope it doesn't put me to far back in my cycling.

I'm posting coz I just need to vent a bit. I have as much of my filter media in my temp filter, the rests just in the tank in some bottles.

Axel said:
Well today was not a good day! After testing my water every thing was cool all tests were going in the right direction.
Then I notice my eheim 2215 canister filter spitting out air. Had a problem with it for a while now. Like it's leaking in air from somewhere. So I messes about with the seals and broke the elbow joint going into the canister.
So now I have a the filter that came with the tank going and my media from the broke one in there with it. I have a replacement part coming tomorrow Just hope it doesn't put me to far back in my cycling.

I'm posting coz I just need to vent a bit. I have as much of my filter media in my temp filter, the rests just in the tank in some bottles.

Good move keeping all the media viable. The fish gods can definitely test you a bit, lol. It just makes it that much more satisfying when its all over :)

Hey Eco, just like to say thanks. Im finally cycled, I had read a lot of your posts before I ran into my own problems and felt I needed to ask the man him self.

Whoop time to get them fish... Well can't till Monday but any Way would it be ok to add corys with some Danios or would it be better waiting until the tanks more established?

Axel said:
Hey Eco, just like to say thanks. Im finally cycled, I had read a lot of your posts before I ran into my own problems and felt I needed to ask the man him self.

Whoop time to get them fish... Well can't till Monday but any Way would it be ok to add corys with some Danios or would it be better waiting until the tanks more established?

Good job. Enjoy the fish …

Back
Top Bottom