My Male is too AGGRESSIVE. Picture provided.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I've been keeping five pre-breeder size cichlids in a 30 gallon tank. 4 females and 1 male. My largest female started holding so I tried to move her to her own 20 gallon, but when I did she spat out all her eggs from the stress of being chased around with a net (Even though I removed all possible hiding spots before attempting the catch. Oh well, we live and we learn). So now she is currently recovering from the pregnancy in the 20 gallon with a juvenile BNP (1.5 inches). The remaining 3 females in my 30 gallon are currently being bullied by the male to the point that all they do is sit at the top of the tank. This happened after I re-arranged all the rocks. I'm not sure what to do with the male, but he is super aggressive to all the females. Is my tank too small? Do I need more rocks and hiding spots? All advice appreciated and considered. Thanks in advance.

WATER PERAMTERS:
-PH: 8.0
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrate: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Water Temp: 81 F
-Filtration: Penguin Bio Wheel 350 (Up to 60 gallons I believe) and Aqueon Quietflow 20 (Up to 30 gallons)
-Food: Hikari Cichlid Gold mini pellets, Hikari Cichlid Staple mini pellets, Tetra sun dried gammarus, Aqueon tropical flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen krill and currently growing out brine shrimp to add live brine shrimp to their diet.
-Tank size: 30 gallon

img_1824273_0_3f0407efe7dedb49129ca3b58ef02e45.jpg

There is one to the right of the Blue Orchid Peacock hiding behind the filter intake of my Penguin 350. They all pretty much get chased to the point where all they do is hang out at the very top of the tank. I need to know what to do ASAP.

If this has happened since you rearranged the rocks I believe he is staking his 'new' territory. To them it will be a new home and they are starting the pecking order from scratch. It's like adding new fish all over again. I may be wrong but I've had a similar situation in the past. I'm sure someone else may have a better input

My biggest female is my aggressor !! I tried getting more females but believe the store gave me more males :-(

If this has happened since you rearranged the rocks I believe he is staking his 'new' territory. To them it will be a new home and they are starting the pecking order from scratch. It's like adding new fish all over again. I may be wrong but I've had a similar situation in the past. I'm sure someone else may have a better input

I'm not sure if that's quite the case because I change the rock layout every week when I do my PWC and this is the first time he's harassed them to this point. I'm not sure if it's my rock layout or what, but every time I re-arrange the rocks, I try to make sure there are as many nooks and crannys that I can create with the amount of rocks I have.

Firstly your tank is much to small for those fish, taking out the rocks and adding them back in causes a power shift. The fish then have to re-establish their territories and pecking order. That is harder to do in such a small tank.

How long did you let that female hold before you tried to move her?

Firstly your tank is much to small for those fish, taking out the rocks and adding them back in causes a power shift. The fish then have to re-establish their territories and pecking order. That is harder to do in such a small tank.

How long did you let that female hold before you tried to move her?

She was only on her fourth day. I tried to move her because it seemed like the male was stressing her out too much. As for the tank size...looks like I'll be upgrading within the next couple of weeks.

Normally don't move the female until she is almost full term that way if she spits there is a better chance they are in the fry stage and have a better shot at survival.

The smallest tank I would recommend is a 4' 55 gallon tank. You'll also have to work on your stock list.

Normally don't move the female until she is almost full term that way if she spits there is a better chance they are in the fry stage and have a better shot at survival.

The smallest tank I would recommend is a 4' 55 gallon tank. You'll also have to work on your stock list.

What's wrong with my stock list? As far as I know they are all compatible.

Bryanm70 said:
What's wrong with my stock list? As far as I know they are all compatible.

Disregard I thought you had a mix of peacocks and Mbuna but I looked at your stock on your profile. I'd still recommend a large tank however.

Back
Top Bottom