My Molly fry died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had two Molly fry in a makeshift breeding container. They were doing fine and growing. They were almost 2 weeks old. I did a water change yesterday and vacuumed the sand. The temp dropped in the main tank and I kept bumping the floating container with the fry around. I checked on them this morning and they were dead. They had curled up in a C shape. I did find another fry about 3 am this morning and had added it to the container. It is doing fine. Did I stress out and kill my other two? Maybe the water change and temp drop got to them. I want to try and figure out why they died so I don't kill the last remaining one. Or the last one as far as I know. I mess around with my tank every day. Checking water perimeters, cleaning filter intake, replanting wayward plants. I am messing with it too much? My ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 10 after water change. The only difference before water change was .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrate 20.

Your Molly Fry

Hello wild...

Mollies are extremely sensitive to even slight changes in the water chemistry and temperature. They are the least hardy of the "Livebearers". To keep them healthy, you have to feed a strict diet and maintain a constant water temperature.

You're probably right, the temperature drop was likely the reason the fry died.

You don't have to get your hands in the tank daily. Aside from feeding, checking the water temp and filtration and looking over your fish, that's all that's needed daily.

Weekly, you can tend to the plants, do a water change and possibly check the pH. The weekly water changes will maintain stable water conditions.

The key to healthy fish is good food and pure water conditions.

Just a couple of thoughts. You're the "Boss".

B

I kinda figured that the temp drop and sudden water change might have been the problem. I tried to be quick about getting the water changed and matching the temp. I didn't expect it to drop so fast when I turned the heater off to do the water change. My room was 75 degrees. My thermometer has a red safe zone marked on it and the temp had dropped below that line. The fry that I had found early this morning is still alive. I have it in a plastic critter cage thing that is used for transporting hamsters. I have it floating in the main tank. I thought about just letting it stay out in the main tank but my adults hunted the others down and ate them. I was afraid they would catch it out of the cave and eat it. I usually do my pwc on the weekend for this tank. I wonder if it would hurt to skip it for a week or so as long as the water perimeters stay okay? I am cycling a 10 gallon to put the fry in but I am wondering if that is a good idea or if I should just leave it in the main tank. I had the other two in the 10 gallon but was having cycling issues so I moved them out until it got re cycled. Now I wished I had just left them in it and done a lot of water changes. I was hoping that at least one would make it to adult hood and hopefully be female. I don't want more fry. how long does it take for a molly fry to reach a decent size?

Mollys

Hello again wild...

Livebearers are pretty fast growers in pure water conditions and good food fed frequently. Females reach breeding age at two months, males generally take 3 months. I feed mine nothing by frozen foods and only a couple of times a week. With fry in the tank, of course, you'll need to feed much more often.

I keep my fry in the main tank with the others, generally less stress for females and young. By feeding all your fish more often, your fry should be fine. It's been my experience, that well fed adult Livebearers show little or no interest in the little ones.

B

I released the last fry into the main tank last night. I sort of measured it and it was a little over 1/4 inch so I figured it might be safe. I set up a corner of the tank with plastic bushy plants and blocked off the largest entrance on the cave system so the adults couldn't get inside. It was still alive this morning. When I first put it back into the tank it swam all over the top part of the tank for a while and the adults just ignored it. I got some fry food today and feed it that. It says it will help them grow fast. The ghost shrimp love it. LOL

I think the Gold Doubloon Molly is pregnant. She has ballooned up the last few days. She keeps resting on the bottom of the tank at night and is digging and wallowing in the sand like she is trying to nest. I know Mollies don't nest but she is acting like that. She swims around fine, is eating and pooping normally so I don't think she is sick. She just seems really bottom heavy. She is also chasing the Dalmatian Molly away. They usually play together but every time the other molly comes around her she chases it away. She has also been taking food away from her. She is usually really meek. If she has fry I am just going to leave them in the main tank. I have homes for them if any make it. I am going to give my 10 gallon to my nephew after I re cycle it. He is fascinated by my tank and the ghost shrimp. His mom said she would take care of it and I directed her to this website to learn. Much easier than a dog. I am going to buy another QT tank. Maybe a 20 long.

Back
Top Bottom