My molly looks like plastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friskyapple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~I have a large quantity of mollies in my tank. A few of them have some really weird coloration/scales. It's hard to describe except as maybe plastic or encrusted. They are super bright colored but not shiny, exceptionally matte. wasn't too worried about it because I also have some mollies from the same batch of baby fish that are actually almost transparent through large parts of their body, so I thought maybe some of them got extra color, and some of them got no color at all. But recently the oldest one with the wierd scales has started losing scales and is bleeding. He also appears to have an extra rough spot on his head. I'm not sure what to do
2~I keep my tank around 75 degrees, with a pH of a little over 7. My ammonia and nitrates are all low.
3~ It's a 75 gallon tank that has been set up for around 6 months
4~I have a fluval 405 with coral instead of the second charcoal it came with to help keep my pH up. My tapwater is 6.5 otherwise.
5~I have:
-an 8 in common pleco
-3 in clown pleco
-3 2-3 in banjofish
-12-15 mollies (they're hard to keep track of)
-7 khuli loaches
-1 puffer fish (like a centimeter long, super tiny)
-4 sunset tetras, 1 inch long each
-1 cherry barb
-1 3in red fin shark
-assassin snails
-1 clown loach
-4 inch angel fish
-1 inch angel fish
There's also a number of plants in the tank

6~I change the water about every two weeks and vaccuum the gravel at the same time

7~this molly is about 5 months old

8~I added a new angel fish and the puffer fish a few weeks ago

9~I feed them flakes, algae wafers, shrimp pellets and frozen brine shrimp and blood worms ever now and then

I really don't know what to do. I brought the oldest of the matte mollies to work, the others are really young, like 3 months at oldest and don't seem to be hurt. His scales stick out just a little bit.

Attachments

• 2013-01-09_15-10-49_310.jpg
    2013-01-09_15-10-49_310.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2013-01-09_15-10-03_255.jpg
    2013-01-09_15-10-03_255.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 71
oh no I hope this isn't an internal bacteria infection or something of that nature...you may want to quarantine him/her

Back
Top Bottom