My Moorish Idol Died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
:cry: Please what I dont need right now is somebody to tell me, I told you so. I purchased this fish knowing better, and pressured all at the same time. I really loved my fish, and never saw it coming. It was 1 day shy of 5 weeks in qt. I came home, everything looked fine. I fed him some nori, which he hogged down like normal. 2 hrs later he was dead. I dont know what happened. Here is my water parameters. PH 8.2 Ammonia .25 Nitrite 5.0 Nitrate 10. I know these levels were elevated, but this is what I had to fight the whole time they were in qt. I made a water change 2 days ago. There was no hard breathing, and the other fish are just fine...I think. I guess it died of Moorish Idol in the home aquarium syndrome. I feel aweful, I killed this fish, Not only a fish, my favorite little buddy. My first response was to give it all up, but I love this hobby too much. I guess we all have had our share of greif in this hobby. I hope I didnt mess up, but I took the other 3 fish out of qt and put them back into the main. They were in qt for ich in the main for 4 weeks 6 days.
I hope this was enough. Well thanks for listening. :(

Sorry for your loss. :(

revhtree said:
feel aweful, I killed this fish, Not only a fish, my favorite little buddy. My first response was to give it all up, but I love this hobby too much. I guess we all have had our share of greif in this hobby. I hope I didnt mess up, but I took the other 3 fish out of qt and put them back into the main. They were in qt for ich in the main for 4 weeks 6 days.
I hope this was enough. Well thanks for listening. :(

I don't think anyone in the hobby can claim they did not make an impulse purchase or had an animal die on them. The important part is that we learn from our mistakes and hopefully not repeat them. Sharing our information is a good step in the right direction. It helps those who may not be informed make the right choices.

As far as your other fish, I do not think you'll have any problems after that long of a treatment. It usually is best to remove the med and allow the fish time in the QT (14 days) afterwards though to be sure there are no re-occurances. Hopefully the worst is passed.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to hear the bad news, Rev. For what its worth, I do not think you did anything wrong. The situation with your Idol sounds consistant with the experiences of a lot of others who have tried to keep this fish. From what I have read thses fish seem to be doing great and then all of the sudden they just up and die, no warning. I would like to think that it survived longer with you then it would have at the LFS. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. I am sorry that is did not work out, there were a lot of people (myself included) pulling for you on this one. How is everything else doing? Lando

Hey Steve. I quit using the med. about 10 days ago. The fish that are left, showed no signs of ich to start with. I will never get another Idol, there was only one Gill for me. Too much heartache, when you lose them. :(

During the qt process I lost the Moorish Idol, and a Yellow Tang. I am a bad daddy! :|

Thanks Steve. :|

Thanks Lando and Fluff, I appreciate your kind remarks. I hope that the idol in my hands did live longer. It brings me somewhat peace of mind.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry Rev. :( At least you got to love him till the end.

And there is some comfort in knowing he's gone to a better place.

Sorry for your loss, I've had some bad experiences in this hobby as well but like Steve said, we learn from our mistakes and things will get better! I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, these fish are very hard to care for.

Atari said:
And there is some comfort in knowing he's gone to a better place.

I sometimes think of all my deceased pets hanging out telling stories of their lives together :D

imo the issue is more of the collectors catching and selling these fish period !! rev my girlfriend bought me a 4 spot butterfly which was eating great & growing and one day out of the blue gone !! was swimming like it was a stunt pilot loop after loop !! i did all i could keeping him as long as i could but another fish that shouldnt be sold !! if i see a pet store selling such fish they no longer get my money period :) now i keep marine fish book in my car and find read about every purchase :)

Thanks all for the words of encouragment. It really means alot to know so many people really care. :wink:

That was my favorite fish. He had such a great attitude. He would swim around real fast when I came in, like he was saying hello. He also would eat out of my hand. I will miss Gill. :cry: I dont want to sound stupid, but I really am going to miss that little bugger.

What would be a great fish to add to my tank. I want a fish, that is peaceful, beautiful, reef safe, one that has spunk, and will grow to a pretty decent size. Not large, but not small. My tank is a 75g, with 105pds lr. I currently have 1 tomato, 1 percula, 1 yellow tail damsel (very small and timid). Please help me pick my new addition.

PS. I want a fish that is not too prone to sickness. TIA. :wink:

I am sorry to hear about your loss as well. I know how you feel. Many people say you can't get attached to the fish, but I would feel terrible if my Tang dies(he is in my QT).

I say stick with it. I am sure the ups are much better then the downs.

I have a white cheek tang that I love so much :wink: He is beautiful, peaceful and has an incredible personality. He is always so excited to see me and swims around like crazy as you mentioned. I would so upset if I ever lost him, he really is like a friend to me as stupid as that sounds. BTW, his name is fred :wink:

Oh great idea! I love how beautiful the white cheek is. How prone is it to ich or other diseases? :wink:

Well I do belive some of the tangs are more prone to disease than other fish but if you properly qt the fish which it sounds like you are doing then I wouldn't worry too much.

Be careful if you do decide to get a white cheek tang. They are often confused with the powder brown tang(gold rim) which is much more difficult to keep alive for an extended period of time. I've seen these fish mislabeled before due to their similar coloration. Other than that he is by far my favorite fish :D

Rev, sorry to hear about Gill. I am sure he could not have been loved more than you could have done. Except maybe his momma...

Seriously, you did more than most people would have done for this fish. He could have been purchased by someone who did not know anything about them and lived a much much shorter life than he experienced with you. He is one of Gods little creatures, just like us. He has a reason for everything, but I think you know that already.

I am glad that this didn't make you leave this hobby, your too good a person to let get away from us.

Good luck.

Mike

Sorry to hear bout that Rev. I really feel ur loss. I felt the same way when my Clown Trigger died. I was devestated.

Revhtree, sorry to hear about Gill :cry: I agree with everyone else -- he was loved and you did your best with him. It's not stupid to talk about how much you miss a fish. I still miss and think about my very first betta. He was about 2 years old and died about 7 months ago. I was so sad that I didn't get more bettas until a month later. But I'm glad I did. I can't imagine being without them. Like jamal-188 said, I think of my first 2 bettas hanging out together in fishy heaven, where they don't need a tank divider anymore.

P.S. I know this is a salt topic, but we can all relate to the loss of a very favorite fish.

Rev, you were talking about another addition to your tank... What about a Black & White Heniochus Butterfly aka "Poor man's Moorish Idol." I don't know a bunch about them, but they look purty. Good luck in your search...

Reef Compatibility: Has been kept in reef aquriums, but may pick on feather dusters and coral polyps.
Maximum Size: The Heniochus acuminatus grows up to 10 inches.
Sizes shipped: Sml 2-3 Inches, Med. 3.5-4 Inches, Lrg. 5-6.5 Inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Black & White Heniochus Butterfly prefers a tank of at least 75 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Heniochus acuminatus is primarily a planktivore and feeds on zooplankton, worms, and small crustaceans. In the aquarium, offer a variety of fresh and frozen foods including frozen Mysid shrimp, and other small food items.
Level of care: The Black & White Heniochus Butterfly is a low maintenance fish.
Compatibility Notes: Generally peaceful towards other tank mates.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: The Black & White Heniochus Butterfly is commonly collected from the Indian Ocean.
General Notes: The Black & White Heniochus Butterfly is a very attractive species that makes for a nice addition to a community fish only aquarium.
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/384014.html

Back
Top Bottom