My Nano Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ann_A

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thought I should share a bit about my tank with everybody, so here it goes...

I have a 28 gallon Nano Cube. I got the compact fluorescent version because I didn't want to spend the money on a chiller.

The tank has been up and running since January of this year.

Here's what I have in it:
-20lbs Live Rock
-15lbs Aragonite Sand
-2 Oscellaris Clownfish
-1 Mandarin Dragonet
-Daisy Polyps
-Yellow Button Polyps
-Green Star Polyps
-Brown Button Polyps (palythoas)
-Zoanthids (there are about 5 or 6 color forms in there right now, but I will be getting more...I love zoas!)
-Green Striped Mushroom
-Velvet Mushroom (I'm not sure it's a velvet, but I think that's what it is...)
-Green/Blue Ricordea

I also am using the sump of the Nano Cube as a refugium. I removed the media basket that came with the aquarium, and use the first chamber for live rock rubble. The water then flows into the two-part 2nd chamber, which has Chaetomorpha and Caulerpa growing.

I am going to be getting some pictures uploaded soon, once I have the time.

Sounds good so far. If I were you, I would take a peice of that gsp and put it on the back wall. It will grow all over the back.

Bige said:
Sounds good so far. If I were you, I would take a peice of that gsp and put it on the back wall. It will grow all over the back.

I am planning to do that with the them. I saw it done in another tank, at my LFS, and I have to say I have never seen a better looking tank. I actually don't have the star polyps yet, but I'm getting them tomorrow, so I just listed that I had them. The rest of the corals and inhabitants are things that I do have. I also have a bit of Xenia and some Kenya frags, but I'm giving those away because they're starting to grow too fast and are shading some areas in my tank. I have somebody coming to get them on Saturday, so even though they will be in the pictures, they are not staying in my tank. I am planning to only keep Zoanthids, mushrooms, and a few other soft polyps.

If I were you, I would only put star polyp on back wall. It will quickly take over as xenia does. You made the right choice getting rid of those. You could also do acans. Which is one of my favorites. My friend owns austinaquafarms.com. Not telling you to buy from them but just go and see the greatest acan selection in the world. Also, where do you live? I buy frags on ebay for super cheap and I buy from local guys so I dont pay shipping. Look locally and see if anyone is selling frags on ebay and then you can pickup for free.

Thank you for the tips! I was actually planning to keep the star polyps on the back wall anyways. I might put a very small amount of the live rock, in an area where they won't be able to spread far, but for now I am planning in only having them in the back of my tank. I live in northern Utah, Bout 30min north of Salt Lake City, in Kaysville. There are about 3-4 good LFS here, and one of them, my favorite one, has unbeatable prices on corals, as well as has great service. They take trades in corals, they'll buy corals from you, sometimes they will even just throw in an extra coral or two for no extra charge. I was there yesterday, getting some chaeto for my refugium, and I ended up talking to the store owner for over two hours, just about the hobby in general. Anyways, they didn't have a lot of chaeto, but he gave me al they had (about a baseball size clump), plus some Prolifera and some caulerpa for $5. It was a great deal, plus I found a small frag of zoas in there when I was adding everything to my fuge. Also, there is another great place to meet tons of other marine aquarists out here; WMAS, or the Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society, is a great group to be a part of. There are tons and tons of people all along the Wasatch front (which is the general area that I live in), and a lot of these people give corals away free, or do trades and sales that I get great deals on.

Well I think you are on your way. Local groups are a great resource.

Bige said:
Well I think you are on your way. Local groups are a great resource.

Indeed they are! So where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, if anyone else from Utah is reading this, it'd be nice to hear from you guys! Thanks!

I live in austin,tx. So we have austin reef club and maast. Also cetral texas reef society. Also have austinaquafarms.com. Which is super exclusive stuff. Only open to the reef club members to go in to visit. But always open on the web to all.

Back
Top Bottom