My new 10G tank, 1 month journey...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nivi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new to this site, wish i could find it earlier. Just got interested in FW for a month. I want to share my new 10G tank that i put together in a month. I did a lot of research but still havent finish though :(

Light: dymax astro light 15w power compact (50000 hrs dunno if its true)
Heater: hydro mini 7w
Filter: homemade 4L, just finished it yesterday.
Fish: electric blue ram, bumle bee, otto catfish, 1 more forgot his long name.
Plant: hairgrass, crypt, lilly banana?, moss, dunno the one on the tree call.
Co2: DIY
Substrate: flourite black

Did i miss anything? Im still looking and learning with things to fix up. Cheers

Opps sorry i think im in wrong section, should this be in member fw tank section? Can some1 move it thx.

Attachments

• image-3608599878.jpg
    image-3608599878.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 252
  • image-888808350.jpg
    image-888808350.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 221
Nice tank, I like the black substrate in in a planted aquarium.

Interesting. You don't see a lot of homemade filters. Kudos.
You've never had a tank before? I'm impressed. Looks nice. :)

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Interesting. You don't see a lot of homemade filters. Kudos.
You've never had a tank before? I'm impressed. Looks nice. :)

Thanks guys. Well my mum always have a tank around 40G. But shes not much of a fish keeper (fish killer:D) and i couldnt even bother with them back then. We've had bad experience with plants and fishes. Til i saw some nano planted tank on youtube, i got hooked on, so here i am.

Looks great. You might have a few problems growing hairgrass with the lower wattage, but if you have good light penetration, it might do well.

I too am impressed!

Very nice. I love small planted tanks! Cool filter. Keep us posted. I am curious how the hairgrass does. I myself run high tech tanks, but the move here lately on the forum seems to be towards lower light lower tech tanks, so it will be good to see how this progresses. While I think high light and co2 injection can be very beneficial, it is amazing what can be created without them.

I have it growing in my high tech tank and two low light tanks. It died in a third lowlight, but in one it grows as fast as the highlight, and one it just sits there, but is as lush and healthy as when I planted last summer.

So I'm curious too. The other plants should do very well with the setup.

mudraker said:
Looks great. You might have a few problems growing hairgrass with the lower wattage, but if you have good light penetration, it might do well.

I too am impressed!

Yes im too curious how my plants will do in this new light, this my second day with this light so i cant tell yet.

fort384 said:
Very nice. I love small planted tanks! Cool filter. Keep us posted. I am curious how the hairgrass does. I myself run high tech tanks, but the move here lately on the forum seems to be towards lower light lower tech tanks, so it will be good to see how this progresses. While I think high light and co2 injection can be very beneficial, it is amazing what can be created without them.

I agree but i do have co2 running since i have a stem plant which is dying from my mum's tank. Im trying to save it dying, its looking healthy and growing new leaves. I just bought a dwarf grass like plant, its a high light plant which im testing to see if its suitable under this light.
Can any1 help me identify the stem plant in the first picture, took it from my mum's low light tank. Thank you.

Attachments

• image-2644505001.jpg
    image-2644505001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 161
  • image-1461902998.jpg
    image-1461902998.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 170
It could be ludwigia. Its hard to tell, but the shape of the leaf is right. If it is, it looks like it is starved for some fertz.

Did it have any red on it when she first got it?

mudraker said:
It could be ludwigia. Its hard to tell, but the shape of the leaf is right. If it is, it looks like it is starved for some fertz.

Did it have any red on it when she first got it?

Thx. I dont have net atm on my comp so cant check it yet. But the plant is doing fine atm getting some fertz soon. Nope, still remember it was fully green when mum brought it home.

Heres my tank after some rearrangement.
But i have 1 problem with my filter. One of my outlet tube has been built up this kind of white stuff thats been floating in my tank right now, wonder is it? Has any1 had it before? Is there a solution for it? Coul it be from the rainwater that im using? Cuz my rainwater is collected from around the house then back to the main tank in my backyard. Pls help.

Sorri app froze so i uploaded twice.

Attachments

• image-3027845413.jpg
    image-3027845413.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3058306880.jpg
    image-3058306880.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3489593231.jpg
    image-3489593231.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3545342630.jpg
    image-3545342630.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 121
Updated, but need help.

My api test kit just arrived yesterday. My plants and fishes doing ok. I did a test heres what it read, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. The problem is i did not cycle my tank because im using rainwater. So my questions are what should i do now? Should i cycle my tank or just leave as it is and do PWC weekly from tap water?

Nivi said:
Updated, but need help.

My api test kit just arrived yesterday. My plants and fishes doing ok. I did a test heres what it read, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. The problem is i did not cycle my tank because im using rainwater. So my questions are what should i do now? Should i cycle my tank or just leave as it is and do PWC weekly from tap water?

Sorri just got home, heres my updated tank. Bought rhino skull and bulla palm. But the bulla palm is actually dying on me, wondering is it an aquatic plant? The dwarf grass ( high light) seems to be doing ok but havent seen it growing, so no luck there. Everything else is growing.

Attachments

• image-234802992.jpg
    image-234802992.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 122
Great tank! The mine is very similar to yours ) the combination of black gravel and light green plants is so colourful! You created good filter but I know that the ceramic rings should be as the first level.

As there are fish in the tank, it will cycle whether you want it to or not.

Did you add fertz or something? That may be why you are showing nitrates and no ammonia or nitrite.

You will need to do daily water changes of 50% or more to prevent the coming ammonia and nitrites from poisoning the fish.

Not sure what the white mess is and have never heard of the plant you described. I'd suspect its non-aquatic, but can't say for sure.

Updated, but need help.

How long have you had fish in the tank?

Andrey said:
Great tank! The mine is very similar to yours ) the combination of black gravel and light green plants is so colourful! You created good filter but I know that the ceramic rings should be as the first level.
Thanks. But i thought ceramic rings shouldnt be at top or bottom in any filter(can be seen from any high quality filter out there?!) what do you guys think of this?

mudraker said:
As there are fish in the tank, it will cycle whether you want it to or not.

Did you add fertz or something? That may be why you are showing nitrates and no ammonia or nitrite.

You will need to do daily water changes of 50% or more to prevent the coming ammonia and nitrites from poisoning the fish.

Not sure what the white mess is and have never heard of the plant you described. I'd suspect its non-aquatic, but can't say for sure.
I've only been dosing potassium since others are still to be arrived. I only been doing weekly water changes. Daily water change seems to much. Since i dont have ammonia or nitrite why should i be doing pwc daily? Sorry i dont get it, im still learning.

Coleallensmom said:
How long have you had fish in the tank?
About 2 weeks.

Thanks. But i thought ceramic rings shouldnt be at top or bottom in any filter(can be seen from any high quality filter out there?!) what do you guys think of this?

I've only been dosing potassium since others are still to be arrived. I only been doing weekly water changes. Daily water change seems to much. Since i dont have ammonia or nitrite why should i be doing pwc daily? Sorry i dont get it, im still learning.

About 2 weeks.

I was talking about the first level in the direction of water movement.

Andrey said:
I was talking about the first level in the direction of water movement.

Thats what i meant, it has to be in middle!

Back
Top Bottom