My new 10G tank, 1 month journey...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrey said:
Rings are for water flow partition so water goes through sponge evenly.
I think your right, but im just copying other filters out there. How did u put yours, if its homemade?
Jason7894561230 said:
Whats in the tank?
You can read it from my first post.

mudraker said:
As there are fish in the tank, it will cycle whether you want it to or not.

Did you add fertz or something? That may be why you are showing nitrates and no ammonia or nitrite.

You will need to do daily water changes of 50% or more to prevent the coming ammonia and nitrites from poisoning the fish.

Not sure what the white mess is and have never heard of the plant you described. I'd suspect its non-aquatic, but can't say for sure.

Maybe your advice was right. I just did a water test today. Surprised ammonia was at 0.5. Did a 50% pwc. I think i overfed the fishes. I removed the palm plant cuz its dying. I dont think its an aquatic plant. Also maybe i have 2 ottos catfish that could have cause ammonia arised. Its funny how my ottos starting to find food from gravel and eat fish food flakes instead of algea(must be short on algea).

Attachments

• image-1532425496.jpg
    image-1532425496.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 101
I just noticed 1 of my plant(from pic), got it from other tank, growing these triple large leaves as the normal one. I mean is this even normal? good sign? Jas any1 experienced this b4?

Attachments

• image-1167091750.jpg
    image-1167091750.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 110
Hello...i have been following your thread...was very interested on your homemade filter...i hope your plants are growing good. more FTS will be appreciated....

Thx daileene, my filter is doing a great job for my tank. Sorry been to busy lately, heres my tank after 1 month. Nothing changes much. 1 high light plant died and upgraded my light to a LED light. Its been only 3 days but plants seem doing fine. I think this is a low LED light. No new fish yet

Sent from iphone.

Attachments

• image-765604971.jpg
    image-765604971.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 102
wow they do look great. thanks for the new pic. and you are welcome. I was gonna do a DIY sponge filter but I got scared I won't be able to do it right. So I am so interested on how you did yours.

I always like to look at your tree..very cool...

wow they do look great. thanks for the new pic. and you are welcome. I was gonna do a DIY sponge filter but I got scared I won't be able to do it right. So I am so interested on how you did yours.

I always like to look at your tree..very cool...

Most of my filter parts was from ebay. It includes 4L airtight/liquidtight container, 3cm thick coarse sponge, 2cm fine sponge, some ceramics, 2 tubes and 1 powerhead (200l/h, Hmax is only 0.5), im ordering a 380l/h, Hmax is .9m so i can put it under my table. I found its much easier if you put the power head inside the tank instead in the filter, if you dont mind it taking space in your tank. The layout of sponges not really sure, i just copy ideas from other filter out there, so not really sure if its right, but you can ask around. Thats all goodluck.

Nice setup, I like the diy canister! How did you do the diy co2, I really want to give that a go. And I love that tree looking plant, any idea what it is?

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Thanks nivi...I should copy all that info. I buy and sell in eBay so that would not be a problem for me to find, I should say.

With regards to the post above "And I love that tree looking plant, any idea what it is?"

Me too...:) I think it is a driftwood with a fern attached to it...am I right nivi? Please correct me if I am not.

TomStav said:
Nice setup, I like the diy canister! How did you do the diy co2, I really want to give that a go. And I love that tree looking plant, any idea what it is?

Tom
Thanks Tom, i was testing co2 for awhile but found out i dont need it much, so i switched to flourish excel. All my plants are low- medium light i think.
The truth is i have no idea what that tree plant is since i forgot to ask what it is. Im really clueless when it comes to plants or fishes names lol.

Heres my shrimp tank i had it setup for 2 weeks.

3 shrimps , 2 small fishes

Attachments

• image-1227247951.jpg
    image-1227247951.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 80
hi guys, ive been researching about my new LED light i just bought to find out what kind of light it would give out. Heres what been given. My LED light consists of:
Luminous intensity: 1400mcd/1pcs
Color temperature:8000k Power: 56mW
Led lamp: 63 pcs

I found out 63pcs = 882000 mcd 1mcd = 0.01257 Lumen(lm) 63pcs = 11086.74 lm 1mcd at 30cm, 20* = 0.02lux 882000mcd = 9800 lux

Minimum Light Threshold | Watts Per Gallon | Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks
Lux So what I am going to propose is that instead of thinking in watts per gallon we instead think in lux per square inch or LSI. Let's look at these figures based on a 55 gallon tank with 110 watts of light (low light), 160 watts (medium light) and 220 watts (high light). * Low light is 15 LSI — you can grow a fair amount of aquarium plants. * Medium light is 22.4 LSI — you can grow most of the aquarium plants available. * High light is 30 LSI — you can grow all aquarium plants. And since those are hard numbers let's instead make them ranges. * Low light is 12-17 LSI — you can grow a fair amount of aquarium plants. * Medium light is 20-25 LSI — you can grow most of the aquarium plants available. * High light is 28-32 LSI — you can grow all aquarium plants. * Very high light is over 35 LSI — same as high — all doubts removed.

Im always wanted a high light tank, so..
Tank surface area = 17 x 10 inches = 170 square inches = 170x30= 5100lux is required for a high light plant tank.
Led light gives out 9800lux more than enough.

So is this mean my this light is a high light led Light for my 10g tank more than what its needed? What do u guys think? Correct me if im wrong.

Back
Top Bottom