My new 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ody

Aquarium Advice Regular
Man have I got the saltwater bug only going about 4 /5 months on onto my 2nd tank lol although they are small tanks but worth it all the same

Attachments

• image-144225723.jpg
    image-144225723.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image-4171954982.jpg
    image-4171954982.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1201638005.jpg
    image-1201638005.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 156
Lol 2 tangs in a 20 gall this is goin to be a nice thread ....

Yes guys 1 isn't z tang and both fish only half an inch in sise and 1 is a butterfly fish guys come on and on that nite I have in my other tank suggsefuly kept a tommi tang and a yellow tang togeather with no haste and when I took 1 out the other wasn't happy so it can be done

Yes guys 1 isn't z tang and both fish only half an inch in sise and 1 is a butterfly fish guys come on and on that nite I have in my other tank suggsefuly kept a tommi tang and a yellow tang togeather with no haste and when I took 1 out the other wasn't happy so it can be done

Lol it doesn't matter if it isn't a tang(moderator edit). And yeah have fun with torturing those fish. And their early deaths. Please tell me what store sold you those. They need some talking to.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said this is your 2nd SW tank. What size is your other one? If its bigger, I would move those 2 fish to that one. Unfortunately, both of those fish need much bigger tanks to thrive. There are fish that will do well in a 20g, but those fish are not on that list. If your other tank is smaller than this one, I would see if the LFS will take those fish back for store credit. Otherwise, that tang is likely to get stressed out and get ich and then both of the fish may die. :(

Could you recommend some please the butterfly fish was doing grand till I put the tang in thanks for the help was getting a bit annoyed with the outer posts but sorry for being up tooth

Hi fella have to say was quite A shock seeing those fish in a tank of that size but not going to start with slating comments so where in the uk are you ? If you are close to me I could offer to home them in my five foot tank , all I will say is please remember the owners of LFS has one aim and that is making money, although many are honest about fish they sell some are not. I have a book I call my marine bible which my wife got me and its fantastic for looking at fish size and needs ect it's called the complete book of the marine aquarium. Please feel free to message me if you want to talk about anything

Copperband can grow to 8inch and the yellow tang 6inch

Could you recommend some please the butterfly fish was doing grand till I put the tang in thanks for the help was getting a bit annoyed with the outer posts but sorry for being up tooth

In a 20g, these are some examples of fish that would work, not all of them, just some examples:

Yellow watchman goby
1 oscellaris clown fish
A Firefish
A couple of cardinals (PJ, bangaii, or orange
striped)
Tail spot blenny or two spot blenny
Striped Possum wrasse
Yellow headed jawfish

In that size tank, you could do 4 nano fish, 3 small fish.

Check out liveaquaria.com in the nano fish section. It'll tell you the recommended tank size for fish.

Good advice guys I would have to agree. It is a shame that they can't be kept in smaller tanks as they are beautiful fish but there is some great options for smaller fish that are just as beautiful. I have a 28 gallon and my stock includes 2-clowns , a gamma, and YWG and pistol shrimp pair. I am waiting for my last fish and it will be a cherub angel. In a 20 I would most likely do only 3 small fish. Always remember in a nano tank to keep up with pwc it is the only way to export excess nutrients which will help to keep parameters stable. :)

Its funny, at the pet stores you quite often see tangs in little divided aquariums that are like 5 gallons. I remember visiting petco and each tiny aquarium had a tang and another fish. Its understandable why people would buy them for their biocubes when the stores make it look like you can keept them in a fishbowl.

Just sayin, thats all...

Its funny, at the pet stores you quite often see tangs in little divided aquariums that are like 5 gallons. I remember visiting petco and each tiny aquarium had a tang and another fish. Its understandable why people would buy them for their biocubes when the stores make it look like you can keept them in a fishbowl.

Just sayin, thats all...

If they would clearly read the info on them next to the price it would explain.

If they would clearly read the info on them next to the price it would explain.

None of my LFS have info about the fish next to the tank. The prices are written on the glass itself, no info given. I agree with Animal-Chin: the LFS do make it seem as though small tanks like that are sufficient. I do my own research on fish with my phone before purchase, but not everyone does. Some people just trust the LfS too much. I don't think there's any need to be rude to people who are new in the hobby; it just discourages them from asking questions and learning from mistakes.

None of my LFS have info about the fish next to the tank. The prices are written on the glass itself, no info given. I agree with Animal-Chin: the LFS do make it seem as though small tanks like that are sufficient. I do my own research on fish with my phone before purchase, but not everyone does. Some people just trust the LfS too much. I don't think there's any need to be rude to people who are new in the hobby; it just discourages them from asking questions and learning from mistakes.

He said PETCO which clearly has it marked. And it aggravates me that he was told that.

He said PETCO which clearly has it marked. And it aggravates me that he was told that.

I can understand the aggravation, but the hostile tone towards the OP is not helpful. We don't know that there was any educational material at the LFS the OP went to; he's in the UK.

To OP: have you made a decision as to what you'll do with the tang and the butterfly?

Back
Top Bottom