My new 220 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RJT said:
I consider you the resident tang guru. Can a 4in powder brown and 2in chevron live in a 150g 6 feet long?

Also, remember- just because the tang is smaller- doesn't mean that being in a smaller tank will not stress them out. Always assume the fish is at full grown size when considering stocking options. When a recommendation is made on tank size - the difference in 6ft tanks is depth and height. The fish that needs a bigger 6 ft tank often needs the more space to turn around

Jlsardina said:
Added a lawn mower blenny today because the brown algae that was on the new rock has started to spread a little. Unfortunately by the time I got home from class lights were already out so no pics tonight :(

Awesome, can't wait for the pictures!

Also, remember- just because the tang is smaller- doesn't mean that being in a smaller tank will not stress them out. Always assume the fish is at full grown size when considering stocking options. When a recommendation is made on tank size - the difference in 6ft tanks is depth and height. The fish that needs a bigger 6 ft tank often needs the more space to turn around

Do you still wonder how you got that title?

A buddy of mine has several achilles that he has had for months. All of them doing well and eating mysis. Will this be a better match if I don't get the powder brown and chevron?

RJT said:
Do you still wonder how you got that title?

A buddy of mine has several achilles that he has had for months. All of them doing well and eating mysis. Will this be a better match if I don't get the powder brown and chevron?

IMO, the achilles tang is a fish that should stay in the ocean. Your buddy's fish might be eating now, but through the research I have done on them- they are known to go on hunger strikes. The Achilles is best suited for a more mature tank as they don't handle changes in water temp, or water parameters very well either.

The Achilles also needs the turn around space found in a 180 or higher and it needs very high flow water with plenty of swimming space because they are constantly moving around and could stress if in too small of a tank and get ick and ...well you know. Lol

IMO, the achilles tang is a fish that should stay in the ocean. Your buddy's fish might be eating now, but through the research I have done on them- they are known to go on hunger strikes. The Achilles is best suited for a more mature tank as they don't handle changes in water temp, or water parameters very well either.

The Achilles also needs the turn around space found in a 180 or higher and it needs very high flow water with plenty of swimming space because they are constantly moving around and could stress if in too small of a tank and get ick and ...well you know. Lol

Thanks. I will definitely leave the achilles alone. The aquascaping is exactly as you suggested. Two small islands with plenty of space.

RJT said:
Thanks. I will definitely leave the achilles alone. The aquascaping is exactly as you suggested. Two small islands with plenty of space.

What about caves? All tangs need several caves to swim though and hide in.

I forgot about that. I need to do some adjusting before I get them in there.

RJT said:

Try to make sure that there is at least 2-3 caves per tang. It's like a game of Tetris setting up caves! It takes me about 2-3 hours to get it the way I want sometimes. But right now I have a little under 20 caves in my rockwork- one being about a foot long. It's all in how you pick out your rock. You will notice when you go to the LFS that you will start looking for flat and curved pieces just to make that perfect cave

RJT said:

My buddy took a year to hand pick every piece of LR for his 265 but he is the cave master. Lol. If you get really creative- look up how to make live rock from scratch. It might take some time to settle and cure- but you might have a better chance of getting that one piece you have to have

My buddy took a year to hand pick every piece of LR for his 265 but he is the cave master. Lol. If you get really creative- look up how to make live rock from scratch. It might take some time to settle and cure- but you might have a better chance of getting that one piece you have to have

I wish I was that patient. I am helping a buddy move this weekend. The seller has 150lbs of rock for sale. I may pick some up. I don't have enough rock for 7 or more caves,

Do like I did- look for a steal on Craigslist. I bought a full setup 125 drilled tank with 200+ lbs of LR in it for 500$. I sold the lights for 300$, the skimmer for 50$, the anemone out of it for 25$, kept the corals and the rock- and still have the tank for sale. In the end I will be getting paid to put some corals and 200+lbs of LR in my tank

Jlsardina said:
Do like I did- look for a steal on Craigslist. I bought a full setup 125 drilled tank with 200+ lbs of LR in it for 500$. I sold the lights for 300$, the skimmer for 50$, the anemone out of it for 25$, kept the corals and the rock- and still have the tank for sale. In the end I will be getting paid to put some corals and 200+lbs of LR in my tank

That is awesome! Great, great deal!

So the carpet guy today hit my powerhead's magnet and it came crashing down on a rock. Then the fun started and it was like a chain reaction. Nonetheless I have a new rock layout and coral layout on the right side of my tank. Uggggggg

Back
Top Bottom