My new 75gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going with a Malawi setup, haven't decided if I want strictly Mbuna or a mixed setup yet.

I can decide that while I cycle with a couple of shrimp for the next few weeks. Emporer 400 for filtration, and going to add 1 more for overkill as soon as it comes in from Petsolutions.

Take a look, water is going in today :multi:

img_749962_0_24058425e18be2f84bb76dcdf38b7ab5.jpg

img_749962_1_4d2247a7ee81133c0eb94cfe88fba550.jpg

Setup looks good, Finatic.

For Rift Lake species, I'd suggest increasing your rockwork and removing some of the drifwood, though.

Voodoo Chilli said:
Setup looks good, Finatic.

For Rift Lake species, I'd suggest increasing your rockwork and removing some of the drifwood, though.

Voodoo: Should I add more of a rocky bottom in your opinion, with a little more height to the rockwork?

Are you suggesting taking some driftwood to make room for more rock? Or is there some health/water quality concern with too much driftwood. I am using aragonite for a base, so I am not extremely concerned about pH dropping b/c of the drfitwood affect. But, this is my first cichlid aquarium and I will take the advice of those more experienced than I, and all advice is welcome.

Looks good, I wouldn't recommend a rocky bottom, just a few more rocks. Cichlids, esp mbuna love to dig in the substrate. I have 125 gal african tank with lava rocks, driftwood and various caves and hiding places. Pool filter sand is the substrate. They are constantly re-arranging my sand and rooting around the lavarock.
Other than the ph issue no problem with driftwood IMO, And as you are using argonite as substrate the ph shouldn't be an issue.

I agree. I doubt that the driftwood will affect the pH, given that your substrate is aragonite. I do, however, agree with increasing the rockwork. The more hiding spots you have, the happier your cichlids will be. I think your tank looks very pretty now, and will be even more attractive with additional rocks. Slap a background on there, and you will be good to go.

BTW- good call with the other Emperor. Africans are messy fish and your tank will do better with the extra filtration. Great job!

Thanks for the help all. I have shifted my deco about 3 times since that pic, but hey, who sets up their deco and likes it the first time?

I took out the upright pieces as they just didn't go, they are bogwood with the other pieces being African driftwood. Just didn't completely mesh. So I piled the two pieces of African driftwood on top of each other to look like a tangled mess, like a tree fell into the water some time ago and has been worn down with age.

Took out the flat stone for a series of rounded riverstone I picked up from a fast moving river on one of our hiking forays. Cleaned it well over a couple of weeks.

I'll post some pics when I get back in town in about a week, but I think I have that natural shoreline look now that my wife wanted me to shoot for.

All sorts of hideouts for these guys to use now.

Back
Top Bottom