my new catfish is biting my oranda goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-alexis-

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I joined just now to get some help here.
I have a 65 gallon aquarium with a small community of fish. All of them are very peaceful. Among these fish is a really sweet oranda goldfish named Cheeto. I just added two new fish an hour ago: a clown pleco and an upside down catfish. The pleco is perfectly fine and actually quite shy, hiding behind some driftwood at the moment. The catfish, on the other hand, has claimed a log tunnel for its own and is coming out and attacking cheeto as soon as he goes near the log. He sneeks up on him, hiding in the log until cheeto comes near it and then chasing him and biting him until he is a good ways away from the log. This repeats over and over again, with the catfish getting bolder and going father out each time.

I'm not quite sure what to do. I do have a pond outside that I could move the catfish to (the pond was actually set up due to another two fish biting at cheeto). It has become my semi-aggressive aquarium for fish like him. But I'd really like to solve the problem if possible. Is it because I only have one catfish in the tank? I didn't realize that they needed to be with a school until after I had purchased him. Or would adding more only make things worse? Should I try returning the fish from the specialty fish shop I bought it from?
Anything would help! I'm new to catfish so I could use some advice on what to do :)

Welcome to AA! :welcome: Most fish are not suitable to house with fancy goldfish. They are big, slow, and easily bullied/outcompeted by more vigorous species. Upside down cats do like friends, and sometimes a schooling/shoaling fish without others will lash out at tank mates, but I think your best course of action is to move the catfish into the pond since in general it is not a great goldfish tank mate. What else do you have in there?

Welcome to AA! :welcome: Most fish are not suitable to house with fancy goldfish. They are big, slow, and easily bullied/outcompeted by more vigorous species. Upside down cats do like friends, and sometimes a schooling/shoaling fish without others will lash out at tank mates, but I think your best course of action is to move the catfish into the pond since in general it is not a great goldfish tank mate. What else do you have in there?

Thanks for your response. This tank is actually my turtle's home. I currently have two guppies, three white skirt tetras, the new pleco, and my african sideneck turtle. The turtle and fish live very happily with eachother and the turtle never nips at them. It's a very peaceful tank.

Not sure if it was okay to do but I took out the log the catfish was guarding and now I haven't seen it in a while. It nipped badly at my goldfish for a minute and then eventually swam away. I haven't seen it or the pleco since. There are a good amount of hiding spaces in my tank and the catfish and pleco are small. Would it be unwise to let them remain in the same tank for a little while more and see if it occurs again? Or should I not risk it?

If knowing the size helps, both the catfish and pleco are just about an inch long, while the oranda is at least two (not counting the extra two+ inches for his tail)

I would definitely keep a watchful eye on the situation. Unfortunately, it's hard to remedy an aggresive fish. But give it sone time, once it settles in and becomes comfortable it's disposition may change.
But also be prepared to remove it like previous poster said- its not an ideal tank mate for your goldie.
How big is your turtle?

I would definitely keep a watchful eye on the situation. Unfortunately, it's hard to remedy an aggresive fish. But give it sone time, once it settles in and becomes comfortable it's disposition may change.
But also be prepared to remove it like previous poster said- its not an ideal tank mate for your goldie.
How big is your turtle?

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching the tank almost nonstop with a net in hand haha. The catfish still hasn't reappeared, even during feeding time or night time. Cheeto has returned to a more relaxed state which is good. The pleco is still hiding in a corner. I don't like the idea of having a predatory fish in my tank, but I do know that in the past I have introduced fish that at first seemed mean but ended up being just fine after the initial shock of moving. I'm hoping that is what it is? I think I'll attempt to turn off all the lights and see if it emerges.

My turtle is about 5.5 inches in shell length :)

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching the tank almost nonstop with a net in hand haha. The catfish still hasn't reappeared, even during feeding time or night time. Cheeto has returned to a more relaxed state which is good. The pleco is still hiding in a corner. I don't like the idea of having a predatory fish in my tank, but I do know that in the past I have introduced fish that at first seemed mean but ended up being just fine after the initial shock of moving. I'm hoping that is what it is? I think I'll attempt to turn off all the lights and see if it emerges.

My turtle is about 5.5 inches in shell length :)

Sounds like you've got it under control! I had this happen when I introduced my betta into my community tank. Initially he was pretty grumpy and chased everybody for the first day or 2. Now that he's settled in he's a total gentleman. I think it can depend on each fish and their individual disposition- its like a case by case thing. Sometimes they get along and sometimes they wont. Just be ready to take him out if he continues to be a grumpbag- protect your goldie at all costs! :D
Turtles are great, I have a red eared slider whos about 4 inches or a bit more now. Just be prepared for it to outgrow your 65G. They need alot of space. And just because its not bugging your fish now doesnt mean it will stay like that. Trust me, I had my turtle in with fish and thought it was fine until one day he took an interest in them and that was that! He can seriously hurt or kill your fish so just be aware- friendly advice from a turtle mom. :)

Unfortunately goldfish should not be kept in an aquarium with tropical fish and Cheeto would be happier in the pond. Also gold fish get very big so he will like the pond very much. The catfish is just following his instincts to make a territory. Just like humans. Gold fish are awesome and I’m sure cheeto is no exception but I think he’d be better off in the pond.

I think she said in the original post that the pond is where she keeps semi-aggressive fish. So putting the goldie in there would not be good news.
Curious- what do you keep your water temp at in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom