My New JBJ 28G HQI Nano - Tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sent a note to the vendor and they were appalled that the Sun coral arrived with algae on it, so they gave me a refund. It appears to be a lost cause but will give it a few more days. The Zoas are already starting to multiply and the Kenya has opened up nicely.

So I finally noticed that my test kits are all painfully out of date, which most likely means my nitrates were much higher than I thought. Did a 50% water change with RO/DI water and will see if that helps. Now to track down a fresh set of testers. Curse you Petco!

If it's expired, you may not be getting the correct test results. I would say scrap it and purchase a new one. Expired means expired.. ;)

API SW Master Test Kit. :)
Glad to hear you got a refund. Unfortunate they gave you a Sun Coral anyway since they are a hard coral to care for.

They aren't really difficult to care for, they just need to be target fed as they are non photosynthetic corals. We use the 2 Liter bottle cut in half, but we super glued a length of PVC to the mouth of the bottle that sticks up out of the water. That way, we can thaw a cube of mysis and just pour it down the tube rather than having to get into the tank every time.

Last edited:
New Additions

Well the big water change seems to have the diatoms on the run. Starting to see some of that nice purple coralline spread around a bit. No major hair algae to speak of, just the fine green stuff on the glass that wipes off easily. The Sun even appears to be making a bit of a comeback. Color starting to come back a bit and getting a tiny bit plumper. Also added two new tank mates. Don't see the Chromis much at night, but caught him playing with the Clowns this morning.

Thing 1
img_1091419_0_64e20439b102a18dc67a081119d423d6.jpg

Thing 2

img_1091419_1_efdd9c615873a6d0599a78b0ff61be9b.jpg

Side Shot

img_1091419_2_a40d7fbe52121adacfc01888dd2d2c59.jpg

Kenya open and filling out nicely

img_1091419_3_285ee55ad3edf9e8ed88aeac1f075f54.jpg

So I added a half dozen more snails and hermits as well as an Emerald crab and boy is my tank clean now! Diatoms vanished literally overnight. Still have a little hair algae on the frag plugs but otherwise the sand is gleaming. So now worried the inverts will start to starve. Will they get enough from the food scraps or do they need supplemental feeding?

Back
Top Bottom