My New JBJ 28G HQI Nano - Tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it turns out it was the crab. I mistook one of my snails for the missing crab. So still not sure who ate him but no one else is dead yet so who knows. Added a Koralia nano to help with the flow and some Chaeto in the media basket with a nano light. Picked up a bristle worm in the process. Also starting to notice some tiny tube worms poking up on the LR. Need to add some more snails and a couple more crabs I think. May risk a Turbo. Will add a handful of small frags later and hopefully get some new pictures up.

What is the best order for the media basket? Sponge, chaeto, carbon? Carbon Chaeto, Sponge? Sponge, Carbon, Chaeto?

Edit: Not a bristelworm On further research it appears it is a fireworm.

Coral Frag Identification

Can anyone assist with identification on these frags?
img_1088089_0_26799f4f2b2ca701132115844403d537.jpg

Ok *cracks knuckles* lets do this. ;)
Top: Candy Cane Coral
Top Left: Green Striped Mushroom
Bottom Left: Zoanthids
Middle: Sun Coral
Right: Kenya Tree Coral
Bottom: No idea. lol

If those are yours Red I really recommend reading into the Sun Coral. They are hard to care for as they aren't photosynthetic and have to be fed. :)

If those are yours Red I really recommend reading into the Sun Coral. They are hard to care for as they aren't photosynthetic and have to be fed. :)

oh hey I almost said kenya tree.. (got one today... and it is awesome)...
Im proud that I knew all but one.

Thanks Mitchell! Yeah kind of screwed up on that one. didn't know what I was getting into with the Sun Coral. I quickly moved him out of the light and will see if I can find something suitable to feed him. Would Cyclop-eeze work? The one on the bottom definitely appears to be some kind of Lithophyllon, but I can't find one exactly like this one on the web. Most seem to be blue or green.

Not bad. Would like a better pic. ;)
For the Sun Coral, I don't know what to feed it (phytoplankton maybe) but I know how. :) Get a Coke or Sprite etc bottle and cut it in half place the open end over the Sun Coral at feeding time. Put the food through the hole then put you finger over the hole. This way the fish can't steal the food and the Sun Coral is certain to get food. :)

Good idea, but you can use a pipette, syringe, or turkey baster and just squirt the food directly over it. As long as it's directly over the coral, it will have time to eat it. And if anything comes by you can just shoo it away, but i'm sure there will be plenty of time for the coral to get the food.

For feeding the sun coral, try using enriched frozen Mysis Shrimp.

Also, you should check out this page presented by Melevsreef:
Melevsreef.com - Suncoral

Should help you and give you an idea of what's expected for this type of coral.

Thanks guys. Good tips. Now just have to find some Mysis around here!

Next question. My water parameters have been really good with the exception of a some temperature swings trying to get the heater and lights coordinated. Today's measures before PWC were

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Temp 78
pH 7.8
Calcium 400
Phospate = 0
SG = 1.024

So why do I have diatoms? Too much light? I'm not overly concerned about it but am just writing it off to a new tank.

Also, haven't seen my yellow clown goby for a week now. I'm not home most of the day, but starting to worry. The Chromis seems fine but hides all the time now. Waiting for the water to clear and I'll get some pictures up.

Here are pics from this morning. Everyone is pretty closed up after the water change.

FTS
img_1088672_0_2bc426cb09f9ac6a5f28f49d26b19535.jpg

Kenya? - he got a little mangled on the trip.

img_1088672_1_d9cd59e816d81247f306d610fa52bfad.jpg

Candy Cane

img_1088672_2_a2d400ca99c254c0215c0accf7a1b2e1.jpg

Lithophyllon?

img_1088672_3_84e62f096bc203cc08baa73dde2b3cf7.jpg

Zoas

img_1088672_4_7e13feb4404eb8ce01864c82e8e35c09.jpg

This little guy has been hoovering the zoas.

img_1088672_5_a3047ddb26b6ad1e257b056fba9d6713.jpg

Sun coral - haven't seen him open up at all yet. I may have fried him with the lights the first day before I knew what I had. Doesn't look too good.
img_1088672_6_5755640db785c3d75e89e8dc48ab78b9.jpg

Looks like the Sun coral has algae over him. I'd get rid of that. Have you tried to feed him yet? Also watch that snail if he always hangs on your Zoas, he might be having a snack. I love your coral on the sand. Litho whatever. :D It's going strong.

Looks like the Sun coral has algae over him. I'd get rid of that. Have you tried to feed him yet? Also watch that snail if he always hangs on your Zoas, he might be having a snack. I love your coral on the sand. Litho whatever. :D It's going strong.

Yeah that's my favorite too. I did try to feed the Sun, put a glob of Cyclopeeze near the mouth but I didn't see him eat it. I gave him and the others a scrub to get rid of the algae. Scaled back the lights to 3-4 hours a day and see how we do with the diatoms. I think I just need some less lazy snails! Need some more hermits too. I'd like to add a sand mover also. Lawnmower blenny?

You could but once all the algae is gone you would have to supplement his diet with nori. (The LM Blenny). Some sand stirrers or movers are Nassarius snails. Grab 5-10. :) They are great little things.

Yeah I already have a dozen Nassarius and a few Astrea and a Trochus but they're not keeping up with it.

Scrubbed off as much algae as I could, and tried some Mysis but no luck yet with the Sun. Looks like there may be another polyp growing out the side so haven't given up yet. Everyone else seems happy. Still no sign of the goby.:(

Back
Top Bottom