My New JBJ 28G HQI Nano - Tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely planning on adding a pair of clowns but wanted to wait to make sure the tank was stable. Maybe add a few soft frags if I find some I like first.

Look into a tail spot blenny... that little guy is amazing... and so entertaining..
he cleared an entire rock of hair algae in a matter of days.... he also cleared the back wall of brown algae... he's amazing. :)

ha... LOL. :)

apparently they are tough little guys too... I moved mine to QT because of an outbreak of ich (what a lovely way to start my tank huh? grrr)... I really thought he wasn't gonna make it last night... apparently they can change their skin like a chameleon (sp?) ... didn't know that....

he's more entertaining than the clowns were.

Added a few more pieces of cured LR and did a water change this morning and my shrimp is not happy with me. I think he's just annoyed in general. He's set up his cleaning station but has had no customers.:uhoh:

pH=8.2
Ammonia=0
Nitrite =0
Nitrate=0
Calc=440
kh=196.9
temp 76

Here's a very short video of Mr. Chromis hiding out.
watch

So here's a question. I had two blue legged hermits, and one of them was ripped apart by something. I only know because his legs were floating around the bottom. I have the Chromis, the clown goby and the fire shrimp. Other that a dozen or so snails I haven't added anything else. Could any of those residents have ripped apart the crab? The other crab? Do I maybe have a hitchhiker I haven't yet seen?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions to quick. He may pop up again. Hermit crabs will molt, and when they do, you will see appendages floating or lying around that look oddly similar to the real thing. They will also hide for a day or two at best while their shell re-hardens. I would keep your eye out for him, because like i said, he may pop back up.

Zero, I think you are right. The missing crab has resurfaced. But I tell ya that really looked like a dead crab body in there. Two of my previously thought to be dead snails have started moving around too. Ah well. No Mantis Shrimp! LOL

I dont know if you will know the answer or not but thought id ask you first. I have been looking into the possibillity of gettign one of these 28 gallon nano cubes.i also have a 10 gallon( qt tank?) and a 29 gallon tank. do you think there is any way to plumb the cube and the 29 together to add more water volume?

Glad you found the other hermit. Those inverts that molt always seem to scare people that are new to the hobby, but they always pop back up when their shells re-harden.

You have a clown goby and a chromis? Hmm.. you want to add 4 more fish? That may be pushing it in a 28G tank, but i would wait for other people to chime in to let you know. I personally wouldn't have more than 4 fish in a tank under 30G but we'll see what others have to say about it.

will do thank you. how do you like this tank. ease of use. everything you need?

I love the tank. It suits my needs very well. You do have to buy some extra stuff for it like a heater and a skimmer if you want one. Plus all the buckets, tubing, etc that you need for water changes, cleaning, temperature and what not. If you're like a lot of people here who like to tinker with their tanks and make modifications you may be better off putting something together. But so far it has more than lived up to my expectations, though I wish I had splurged for the LED version. The HQI lights run very hot. So far so good but this summer may be interesting.

Glad you found the other hermit. Those inverts that molt always seem to scare people that are new to the hobby, but they always pop back up when their shells re-harden.

You have a clown goby and a chromis? Hmm.. you want to add 4 more fish? That may be pushing it in a 28G tank, but i would wait for other people to chime in to let you know. I personally wouldn't have more than 4 fish in a tank under 30G but we'll see what others have to say about it.

Maybe it was the snail carcass, but didn't think a snail would have neon blue legs. :D And the way all the other snails were chowing down on it made me think it was more than just a shell.

Anyway, of course I'd like to have more fish, who wouldn't?? I'm just torn between getting a couple more Chromis or getting a clown pair. Have to wait a while anyway for the tank to mature. Just thinking. I'll change my mind a dozen more times before then.

Back
Top Bottom