My new planted bettabitat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed that is is far too small for a betta. Moreover, bettas are tropical fish and should have a heater. I'm not seeing one in this pic--do you have one set up? Also, a filter is often appreciated, and unless you are absolutely diligent about you water changes in a setup this small, I believe you are going to run into water quality issues.

Agreed that is is far too small for a betta. Moreover, bettas are tropical fish and should have a heater. I'm not seeing one in this pic--do you have one set up? Also, a filter is often appreciated, and unless you are absolutely diligent about you water changes in a setup this small, I believe you are going to run into water quality issues.

There is actually a small external heater under the tank, and the water is at 74 degrees. I will change water every 3 days or so. Is more necessary? Well, he is happy. I would rather him be here than in the tiny bag i found him in.
Also, this is temporary. I am setting up a 4g soon enough, and it will be home to him and a few shrimp.

Do you have a liquid test kit? I would advise checking your params often in order to figure out when water changes are needed. 3 days seems like it might be okay, but it's hard to say without knowing what your levels are. How many gallons is that tank?

A 4 gallon would be wonderful for him. I'm sure he will appreciate the extra space!

The smaller the container the more often WC's are needed. Doing a 50% WC every 3 days will work. Also betta only needed a small amount of food so be sure not to overfeed especially in such a small container.

Do you have a liquid test kit? I would advise checking your params often in order to figure out when water changes are needed. 3 days seems like it might be okay, but it's hard to say without knowing what your levels are. How many gallons is that tank?

A 4 gallon would be wonderful for him. I'm sure he will appreciate the extra space!

Have not tested but i did instant cycle from a tank with no ammonia and low nitrate and nitrite.

Unless you have a filter on the tank that you added seeded filter media from another tank then you didn't cycle it. If that is the case it you would need to test ammonia and nitrites daily and do a wc anytime either gets to .25ppm or higher.

Have not tested but i did instant cycle from a tank with no ammonia and low nitrate and nitrite.

If there's nitrite in the tank then the tank you took it from isn't cycled yet. How did you cycle without a filter?

"Instant cycle" is there such a thing???

By adding filter media from an exiting tank you can skip the cycling process. All you really need is one cycled tank then you are set for a lifetime :)

If there's nitrite in the tank then the tank you took it from isn't cycled yet. How did you cycle without a filter?

By adding filter media from an exiting tank you can skip the cycling process. All you really need is one cycled tank then you are set for a lifetime :)

All well and good but like you said yourself they have got nitrites. Cant really be cycled with them present

Sorry sorry i am so new. I thought that you could instant cycle with just the water.

No read up on the article on cycling. You need to understand the nitrogen cycle within a fish tank otherwise that little betta of yours will be happier back in that little plastic bag. It will end up dead in your tank unless you start doing some research

Sorry sorry i am so new. I thought that you could instant cycle with just the water.

Water contains close to no bacteria for the cycling process. 99% of the bacteria is going to reside in the filter media. You really need an adequate filter to properly cycle a tank.

Why do i even try

Your keeping a live animal and its your responsibility to try and keep it alive. We've ALL made mistakes and im sure 99% of fishkeepers have had fish/shrimp/snails die. Dont give up!! Just do some reading :)

Back
Top Bottom