My new (second hand) marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After many years of wanting we have finally taken the plunge and got our first marine tank. Here's a piccy...

ForumRunner_20130905_222858.jpg

What size tank is that as looks a little small for the butterfly in there?

Hi, it's 2ft square, everything came with it including the butterfly fish, how big will he grow then? I believe he's been in the tank for 3 years...

It's about 60 gallon by my calc. Would make it about half the size the (guessing its a copperband) needs. They're also fairly difficult to care for FYI

The tank looks like a nano cube probably about a 29G. Defiantly not the right size for a butterfly.

My calculations make it 60 us gallons. He came with the tank and seems happy and healthy at the mo, so think I will enjoy him for a while then find him a bigger home.

I'm more concerned about the clown fish who goes mental when the lights are turned out and jumps over into the filter!! Would an anemone help?

Some fish are more skittish than others, but it's obvious he's bothered by the sudden "lights out." I see a couple solutions to this issue.

1. Buy another clown. Having a companion may settle him down considerably, or at least distract him and make him less nervous.

2. If there's any way to cover the filter, do so. :)

3. Contrary to popular belief, clownfish host anemones (not the other way around.) Nem's need strong lighting, good conditions and good water flow. They can be quite picky, believe me. If you're prepared for it, by all means, go ahead. Or, you could pick a different coral to host your clown. Pulsing xenia torch coral work the best I've found.

4. If you do choose the alternate coral option, be sure to keep your copperband well fed, lest he pick at your corals. Even being well fed, some butterflyfish will continue picking out of boredom sometimes :p

5. Switch up your lighting. There are timed lighting systems out there that mimic dawn and dusk, so as to limit stress on marine fish and create a more fluid/seamless/natural habitat.

6. Good luck with whatever option(s) you choose. :)

Whoops, typo. I forgot a comma between pulsing Xenia and torch coral. They're very different :p

Wow lots of info, thank you :)

I've only had the tank a week and was thinking I should leave it as ids for a month to settle before any new introductions, but would like to get a friend for him, maybe a coherent patterned one?? It looks like I am going to have to rehome my copperband as people have said the tank is too small so maybe a shop will do me a swap ;-) and then get the corals you suggest

If it has only been up for a week the clown might just be stressed due to the move. Did the previous own have the same issue with the clown. Maybe some moon lights, if you don't already have some, that way it doesn't go completely dark

I think so, he was in the tank when we viewed it and in the filter when we picked the tank up! We have brought a new rock today which has created 2 more holes which he might take a fancy to and blocked the filter so he can't get in. Really fancy the moon lights, they are on our wish list, but in the mean time have sorted a table lamp so it's not pitch black at night. Hopefully he will have a friend soon and settle

There is the original twin tubes which are blue and white and it has an added on square block of LED lights which were not fitted but hubby has raised the lid and got them working. We now have things starting to appear but not sure what they are yet as tiny

Sounds to me like you may want to stick with soft coral like polyps, leathers, mushrooms, green star polyps, that sort of thing. I don't think you have enough light to keep LPS or SPS alive. Soft coral can look cool though, lots of sway and motion.

Oh and hows water movement in there, i don't think i see a power head or circulation pump. Coral likes water movement...

ForumRunner_20130906_201258.jpg

Pic 1. You can just make out in bottom right corner, this has opened out today and there is another 3 stems coming up, there are a few of the green leafy things

Pic.2 these trumpet things seem to be doing really well.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130906_201313.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130906_201313.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 110
Well spotted!! There's not enough movement and were getting a wave blower over the weekend

Some fish are more skittish than others, but it's obvious he's bothered by the sudden "lights out." I see a couple solutions to this issue.

1. Buy another clown. Having a companion may settle him down considerably, or at least distract him and make him less nervous.

2. If there's any way to cover the filter, do so. :)

3. Contrary to popular belief, clownfish host anemones (not the other way around.) Nem's need strong lighting, good conditions and good water flow. They can be quite picky, believe me. If you're prepared for it, by all means, go ahead. Or, you could pick a different coral to host your clown. Pulsing xenia torch coral work the best I've found.

4. If you do choose the alternate coral option, be sure to keep your copperband well fed, lest he pick at your corals. Even being well fed, some butterflyfish will continue picking out of boredom sometimes :p

5. Switch up your lighting. There are timed lighting systems out there that mimic dawn and dusk, so as to limit stress on marine fish and create a more fluid/seamless/natural habitat.

6. Good luck with whatever option(s) you choose. :)

Clownfish can host anything. It doesnt have to be an anemone. They host anything from a side of the tank to a rock or maybe the powerhead. They host what makes them feel safe

pic 1 - thats a form of algae. It'll go crazy if you leave it, I'd pick it off the rock before it takes off.

pic 2 - those are polyps and they are half closed. When they open they should like like this...

buttonpolyps01.jpg

well something like that anyway, they could be brown or have longer tenticles.

Thanks for all your advice, my clown has now taken to hanging round the new rock at night and is more settled, I have removed the green algea weed and a new pump is on its way from eBay as is a book on marine inverts and corals. All fish still look healthy and doing well so maybe a bit of shopping this weekend ;-)

Back
Top Bottom