My New Tank From Craigslist!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well so i was looking on craigslist and found a 55 gallon tank that comes with everything including stand, lid and light yay! it was 150$ but i got it lowered to 100 and im picking it up tomorrow and i cant wait!

I got my 55 gal off craigslist with that stuff and a bunch of accessories for $100 too. Good deal! Of course I still needed to sink a lot into it for a filter and plants and stuff but i did save quite a bit on the actual tank and stand. Good luck!

Thanks guys:) unfortunately im using up all my money for it so I'm gonna have to rely on my mom for fish lol

Congrats! I got mine off of craigslist for $15 and I'm getting a stand for $30, but that's awesome! Any ideas on fish? Going planted?

I'm just probably gonna do fake plants and I am going to get rainbows and maybe a paradise fish but I'm not sure exactly what else

There are some plants that need like no up keep such as java moss, java fern, and if you look around on some other threads you could find some more. Also might I suggest some corydoras for your tank? I just fell in love with mine!

Oh I'll look into those plants thanks and ok I'm not sure what those are but I'll google them haha:)

What the corydoras? They're small-ish catfish that some people say eat algae others say else wise but they're cute and very very playful! I would get about 5-6 in your tank. As for the type try some of the juliis or pandas because they're the easiest to find;)

Not really, I got my peppered (the sign said pygmy) corydoras for about 2.45 each, but I think that you could find pandas or julii for under 3 dollars, 4 dollars max. BTW I got mine at petsmart (which mine is usually great, but some idiot must have done the signs...), I've seen some at other large pet store chains, plus there's always eBay or aquabid, just make sure the person has high reviews.

Hmmmm ok I'll definitely think about getting some and I just read about paradise fish eating guppies and other small fish so I don't think I'm gonna get one of them do you have anymore suggestions on fish?

Just looked them up myself:) too. Compatibility: Tetras, Rasboras, Danios, Dwarf Gouramis, Discus, Angelfish, Rainbowfish, Livebearers, Plecos, and small Scavenger Catfish.
I would still get the cories, and then I've read that they could also be with barbs so maybe like 10 of 1 type of barb. I think that may be full... I can ask around for people who know stocking well.

Hmm ok...discus are really cool but super expensive and thanks for the suggestions this stocking is gonna take some planning and thanks for asking around you've been a great help:)

Hey no problem! So I talked to a few people and they said to do 1 male paradise fish to 3 female, then you could do some cories, some barbs like cherries just watch out for the nippy ones like tigers and maybe some rasboras like harlequin ones. Just for $ purposes, I found the barbs at petland 3.99 for 3 fish, and the harlequins at petsmart for 1.49 each. These are the cheapest places:)

Ok I'm pretty sure jetajockey has some paradise fish for sale and I'm not sure if there's a petland around here and do you think some bigger sized tetras would be fine cuz I'm nit really a fan of barbs and I'm gonna have to google harlequins lol thanks though:)

Back
Top Bottom