My New Tank! (Part 1) (With Pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here we go. Got my 29 gal, got gravel, got goodies, all but the fish. Letting the cycle go through for 24-48 hours.

I got it all at PETCO, and surprisingly, the guys there knew A LOT about fish, told me I needed to cycle the new tank for a few days before buying fish, etc. Im glad, because PETCO is right next door to my work and its very convient.

Anyway, I was a little worried about where I put the tank. I put it on a table, and I also put some wood on the sides to help hold it up (even though it felt very secure without, just in case.) What do you all think?

Thanks again for all the help. Got a 'Dummies' book and a magazine and its time to read up abit on my new hobby. :)

image0005re.jpg
image0047mi.jpg
image0059ux.jpg
image0061fi.jpg
image0070oh.jpg

And here is a pic of my little gheto tank stand. :)

image0094qq.jpg

That looks nice Erik! Very bright and interesting. :D

I hate to tell you this, but the advice you will get here is much better than what you will get at Petco. I also made the mistake of listening to pet store employees when I set up my first tank, and it resulted in massive ich and death. :(

You see, running the tank for a couple days (which is also what they told me) will only stabilize the temperature. It will not in any way begin the nitrogen cycle. In order to start cycling, the bacteria need a source of ammonia. This must either come from fish, or from pure ammonia added to the tank in a fishless cycle. Most people, myself included, will recommend a fishless cycle because the ammonia and nitrite levels present in the tank during cycling are very harmful to fish, and fish may suffer and die even if you do diligent water changes. :( Please read these articles about the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
I know the fishless cycling article says it is for saltwater, but it works the same way in fresh.

If you really really don't want to wait for a fishless cycle, you can buy some Biospira, which is refrigerated bacteria for a very quick cycle, and then you add fish at the same time as the Biospira. Or, if you send a PM to TomK2, he can explain to you how he cycled his tank humanely with very low bioload. Please don't take the Petco advice, you've just got to trust me here even though it is so tempting. You will get far, far better advice here. Your future fishies will thank you for it. :D

Severum is correct. The term "Cycling the tank for 24-48 hours" is absolutely false and misleading. The tank is empty and therefore cannot cycle.

In regard to setting it up on the table, you should make sure that the table can support the weight. That includes the surface of the table and the legs.

Very nice tank. :)

Your tank looks great. Good luck with it. Take these guys advice, read up on fishless cycling and you will have far fewer problems and enjoy this hobby much more.

Rich

Oh no no no, I mis-typed. He didnt mean the "nitrogen cycle", the guy told me that would take weeks. I probably shouldnt of used the term cycle, but he was refering to setting the tank up and making sure all my stuff works and the temp stabilizes before I buy my "few" fish to do my main cycle. He told me about the NC and it was about the same that I've read on here.

One question, the heater I got, I don't know if its working. (See in pic 1, top right corner). I woke up this morning, I had my heater set to 75, but the tank was at 79 and the heater was still on.

I 'THINK' my problem was that since the instructions say the heater is fully submersivable, I had the top part of it sticking out (from the top where you control the temp at was about 2 inches above water level). I put it all the way under water, turned the heater off, added some more cold tap water (dechlorinated of course :p) and will let the temp drop a bit.

Do you think it could be the problem, since it wasnt submerged all the way, or could i have a bad heater?

If the heater wasn't submerged like it was made for, then it was getting temp readings from the air and not the water. The heater may be bad, but I doubt that, it's brand new, and you can return it if it is infact bad.

Thats what I figured. I put it underwater, put in some fresh water to bring the temp down to about 78, set the heater to 78. It went off.

Added some more cold water, brought temp to about 77.3. Heater poped on.

All looks good. :) Ty.

Well, not exactally. It's been turning on and off now. I'm worried because Its set at 76ish but the thermonitor i have is showing in the vacinity of 77-78, with the heater turning on and off.

Could it be because I added so much cold water, that its cycling through and causing the heater to turn on and off, and just more time will cause it to stabilize?

a degree or two one way or the other is normal. Those preprinted numbers are not that accurate. wail a few hours and see it the temp remains steady. It sounds fine to me.

have you checked out fishless cycling and about seeding your tank? My friend put her filter on my tank for 2 weeks and she didn't have to worry about cycling she went ahead and added fish with no problem.

Ok I'll check it out in an hour or so and see what we've got. Ty :)

I've thought about fishless cycling, but I'd really rather not look at an empty tank for a month or so :(

Like Ashley Nicole said, using old filter media is also a great option, if you know someone with an established tank that you trust to not have diseases. If you can add old filter media to your filter, or run your filter on an established tank for a couple of weeks, then you can add fish immediately and avoid most of the cycle. I've started 4 tanks that way with great results. :D It's not an instant cycle, but it is close.

The only person I know is my sister, and she has a saltwater tank.

I added 4 Zebra Danios today. Put them in the tank and they seem to be loving it! Zipping around and stuff. I tried to feed them, but they didnt eat, so I figure I'll wait until tonight or tomorrow morning, let them get aquainted to their new home first.

One thing though, when feeding, the food comes in flakes. I figure I need to crush them down, but the first time I put probably a nickle sized flake in. It floated infront of my filter and it blew it down, it got soggy and practically disengrated when I tried to take it out.

Will this be bad, just starting out and having food in the tank?

Also... my heater was still being iffy. So I went and bought a new one (150w), and so far its working BEAUTIFULLY! I put it at 79 when I put it in (the temp of my tank with my old heater), and it keeps it at a steady 79.5 - 79.8. Even though my old heater might of been fine, I didnt want to risk it, so it was a small price to pay. :)

I'll get some more pics tonight :)

Thanks again

Do you have a test kit? You are now doing a fishy cycle, you are going to need it. You will also be changing a lot of water.

Yes, I bought a Master Test Kit, however, I noticed it did not have a nitrate test kit included. Granted, Ammonia and Nitrite are the 2 'big bad' ones, I just thought it would come with one. :p

And yes, Im expecting to do daily WC's, of course depending on my ammonia and nitrite levels. :)

Ugh, my test kit didn't come with one either! :evil: I bought it separately for about $7.

I'll just end up buying one probably :p Good to know its not a goofy kit or something :) ty

Mine didn't come with either, there must be two different master test kits. Mine has high PH instead of nitrates. I bought mine seperatly as well.

One other question for all of you.

I noticed on the side of my tank, there is a very small, very fine, hairline crack a little under an inch long. I feel on the inside of my tank and I cant feel it, but you can feel it on the outside. (I thought at first it might be some glue, but it wouldnt come off when i picked at it, though I guess it still could be).

Should I seal it off with something, or not worry about it?

Thanks ;P

Back
Top Bottom