My new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
Drove clear across the state on monday to pick up a craigslist tank. $100 for a 40g, I think (36x22x12) tank, stand, 2 lights and ac 300. It was in pretty rough shape when I picked it up, was a brackish tank with a bad alge problem. The corner seals had algae under them And were starting to lift up. I decided this tank needs an overhaul. Here are some before and after pics.

img_1093001_0_c05c9f03c8ed3ebd1e21601bbf9887ca.jpg

Pretty rough shape as you can see.

img_1093001_1_e73bb7e087a93c51204251efad0fc301.jpg

As you can see, the corner seals are in bad shape. I cut one side and the pulled out pretty easy.

img_1093001_2_5effd3b63faee8dd47e000b40f927ff4.jpg

After cleaning it and resealing...and making a mess of the kitchen (wife loved that lol)

img_1093001_3_9672f3044257d55097b1cb6da45ccd35.jpg

Seals look 100% better, cant wait til friday for the leak test.

This is my first tank reseal and it went easy as could be. I did however burn my nose from sticking my head into the tank while caulking lol.

you have done a great job mate, how do you get the silicone to be neat, i.e perfect line all the way down? can you get a tool for this, what do you plan on keeping in it?

Tape. I used tape on both sides of the corner, around 3/16 space. Then I ahve this great little caulking tool that keeps the bead uniform.

Edit: I plan on turning this into a paludarium with some newts, frogs and white clouds.

cool, thats a good idea, i tried once, what a mess haha, was silicone everywhere

Nice pick up! Also, good handy work! I've yet to reseal a tank but I will definitely keep your tape trick in mind. :) Thanks for sharing.

That looks awesome bro!!!!!!! great job, Did you use vinegar to clean the panes?

I started with vinegar but that algae was pretty gnarly so I switched to ammonia. Then I cleaned the corners with denatured alcohol and a q-tip. So between the ammonia, silicone and alcohol (denatured and busch lol), lets say I was :multi:

Thanks guys (and girls). I am filling it with water as I speak. Hopefully it holds tight.

Don't fill and type, you could drop your computer or almost overflow your tank....I did the latter of the two.

Don't forget pics!

Lol no worries, I stuck the python in and let her rip! I even had time to make and eat a bowl of lucky charms

Back
Top Bottom