My nirite wont go down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jellyflesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20 hgal tank has very high levels or nitrite i've tried products to detoxifiy it but every readying is the same, could my tester kit be off?

Are you using testing strips or a liquid test kit?

Not positive but your test kit may still be reading the even if you use a product to detoxify? Not sure if your cycling or if your established tank has them but water changes will help keep it at a safer level and the nitrite stage takes a while to get through once enough nitrite eating bacteria is in your filter media it will start to go down then be gone for good :)

What is the reading? Are you cycling this tank?

The bacteria that turns the nitrite into nitrate can take twice as long to multiply as the bacteria that turns ammonia into nitrite. Patience is the key in this stage. If you have fish in the tank, add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to help detoxify the nitrite.

David

How long has the nitrite been up like this? Also, products that detoxify nitrite and ammonia just won't help as much as the bacteria. You should also wait a few hours before re-testing once you put those products, as they can show false readings.

Not cycling this tank its already established but i think i added too many new plants

How long has the nitrite been up like this? Also, products that detoxify nitrite and ammonia just won't help as much as the bacteria. You should also wait a few hours before re-testing once you put those products, as they can show false readings.

Only yesterday, they are down now after a 30% water change and removing some of the mew plants, however the pH this morning was at 6.6 where as it usually stays around 7.4-7.6. Only one small guppy suffered but i do need to get the pH back up slowly, so .2 raise a day should be fine right?

Keep doing water changes to restore the buffers in the water. The nitrifying bacteria slow way down when pH gets that low.

Nitrites are stable now i'll test the again tomorrow to make sure they stay low, but the pH wont rise

Nitrites are stable now i'll test the again tomorrow to make sure they stay low, but the pH wont rise

I would test daily just to be on the safe side. I
May have missed it but did you ever answer if you have fish or not?

Then you need to be testing daily to make sure nitrites will be as low as possible. Also what are your nitrite levels exactly? I don't recall them being posted, only the pH.

Nirites are now 0ppm
But the pH wont rise its down at 5.8 and i dont know how long my mollies can live in such acidic water i've tried everything to fix it but it wont budge

Back
Top Bottom