My no tech project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
After setting up the 5g RCS tank I kind of got hooked on both nano tanks and shrimp. The newest project is going to be an experiment in no tech.

The tank is a 1.5g Deep Blue Professional. It comes with a glass top as well as 2 removable dividers, claiming it's for 3 bettas.

We live in an house built in the 1970s. The previously owners made the attached deck into a room that doesn't share AC or heat from the house; there's a window unit and a rather hideous corner gas fireplace with a heavy stone top/mantle. There are windows along all 3 walls in the room. The tank will be on the mantle near windows that face north and west.

I'm using a combination of Tahitian moon, sunset gold, peace river, sands for substrate. It's been set up for a few days on my desk, moving into the deck room later today.

Attachments

• Jan 17 2015 no tech tank.jpg
    Jan 17 2015 no tech tank.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 76
I had my February's tropical fish keeping today and there is a great section on stetting up a cherry shrimp tank, I like the idea for my 5g tank, hope you keep us posted..........

I had my February's tropical fish keeping today and there is a great section on stetting up a cherry shrimp tank, I like the idea for my 5g tank, hope you keep us posted..........

Thanks, will do!

Here's a link to the latest shot of my 5g.

I have a big bowl with plant clippings and bonus plants…grabbed some dwaf sag and a few crypts, put those in. Soaked two pieces of cholla wood, attached an anubias nana petite to one of them. The anubias will definitely stay, will have to see how the other plants do now that they’re back in good lighting. I’m expecting algae due to the northwest sunlight, most likely will add a snail if that becomes an issue.

Now I have to play around with temperature. We’re having a very cold winter here so the fireplace is running 24/7, room temp is 70. With the lid on and the late day sun the water temp has been steady around 74.5. There’s one sakura shrimp in the tank so I’m keeping a digital thermometer in so I can monitor as the weather gets colder overnight (the room doesn’t have the greatest windows, and I doubt the walls have much insulation).

Attachments

• Jan 17 2015 no tech.jpg
    Jan 17 2015 no tech.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 82
The 5 pumpkin shrimp I ordered arrived today, they seem quite happy in the tank. I've still be throwing in various plant bits and cuttings until I make a final decision about what I want in the tank. Any plant suggestions would be very much appreciated! The tank is 7" tall including top and bottom rims; the tank gets north and west window light as well as ambient room light.

Attachments

• Jan 20 2015 no tech pumpkins.jpg
    Jan 20 2015 no tech pumpkins.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom