MY Oscar and Jack or fighting .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I moved things around , and such and it doesn't seem to stop the fighting . I know I will have to rehome the Jack if it doesn't stop. However I was wondering before I did that . If I added some more fish to the tank, could that help. Since right now it is just the Oscar and the Jack as far as fish go .

You may be able to try some target fish. But I have no experience in doing this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you def have the room. You may need to set up clearly defined territories at either end of the tank so they aren't fighting over territory. Other wise you may just have to re home one. I know you mentioned the JD but watch to see who the aggressor is or you may have the same problem with what ever you add next.

I don't like target fish idea. Its when people use smaller fish to allow the aggressive fish to take out aggression.

You may be able to try some target fish. But I have no experience in doing this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes target fish work quite well. I would personally do something along the lines of Amatitlania nigrofasciata (convict) as this will allow the addition of more fish to disperse the aggression and the con's not going to be pushed around much.

I don't like target fish idea. Its when people use smaller fish to allow the aggressive fish to take out aggression.

This doesn't have to a be fish to be beaten on like tetras and so forth, target fish come in a vast assortment which can change based on individual scenarios.

Thanks all for the advice, it is the JD being the aggressive one. I just adding him and he is being a bully. I was thinking about adding some convicts anyway to the tank. I might try to do that before I re-home the JD.

no dont add red zebras africans and new worlds never get along well. Keep looking for conicts they are pretty easy to find usually. But I would not get a pair I have seen a pair of 5 inch cons kill a JD. I would get a single convict and add some sort of dither fish like 5 silver dollars. should help out with aggression.

Back
Top Bottom