my outside 55! pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smarsh7903

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I got some wild ideas of growing fish and plants in an outside aquarium. I put my tank on blocks, put two or three inches of my garden soil in it (no chems) layered some pea gravel on top and two pots, one on each end, to serve as shelves for growing my anubis (can I get an identification on this? Its leaves are almost as large as my hand) and for my red rubins (what's left) emersed. Inside the tank I have some stem plants. Also I will be adding Bolivian rams in there in about a week. If they do well I want to add a group of cories or danios. Cherry shrimp are going into the equation too and I will take the rams out later. The aquarium gets about 4 hours of direct light a day. I am thinking about setting up three 20 gals on my covered balcony for breeding apistos and shrimp. What do you all think about this?

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110322_142457.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110322_142457.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20110322_142528.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110322_142528.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94
The water will undoubtedly get too warm for those fish. I live in Philadelphia and the temperatures in the summer typically get into the 90's. I can't imagine in Alabama, especially because that tank looks like it's in direct sunlight too.

EDIT: You will also probably have a lot of algae problems too

Ok so I got some wild ideas of growing fish and plants in an outside aquarium. I put my tank on blocks, put two or three inches of my garden soil in it (no chems) layered some pea gravel on top and two pots, one on each end, to serve as shelves for growing my anubis (can I get an identification on this? Its leaves are almost as large as my hand) and for my red rubins (what's left) emersed. Inside the tank I have some stem plants. Also I will be adding Bolivian rams in there in about a week. If they do well I want to add a group of cories or danios. Cherry shrimp are going into the equation too and I will take the rams out later. The aquarium gets about 4 hours of direct light a day. I am thinking about setting up three 20 gals on my covered balcony for breeding apistos and shrimp. What do you all think about this?

I think you're destined to have dead fish. The kind of temperature variations those fish will experience will be extremely hard on them. And in the summer, they're going to get cooked. TN summers are bad enough, AL summers must be even a hair worse. If you don't mind killing all these fish, let us know how many days they survive and what the temperature was outside the day they finally die. I'd actually be interested. I mean, can you imagine Bolivian rams in a tank outside when it's 55 degrees??

Some more.

My java wood
img_1264138_0_557c5518984801074b5f88ffdb74435a.jpg

my Anubias This plant is huge. I have had it for years and years and propagated it a lot. At one point the plant had about 200 leaves. Right now it is branching off it's rhizomes. Anyone want some clippings? It is attached to driftwood.
img_1264138_1_ace55e80d15788043b427b9c2857c08c.jpg

These are what is left of my red rubins. I sold the mother plant a long time ago and intended to replant the offspring. I never did and these two (there is a very poor plant in there with the other one) are all that is left.
img_1264138_2_1a8c9d759e3718e63a656b56ca4b7e7d.jpg

Some stem plants my LFS gave me. Any ID?
img_1264138_3_919f18cfbdc2e68c1004bf900c8d5695.jpg

Ok, thanks for the replies. I will give it a shot. I do have a thermometer and so I will be keeping tabs on them. I am getting some floating plants too so maybe those will help some. I'll take pics weekly and do a journal on it.

I'm just guessing, but I think the floating plants will only add to the heat problem as they will trap the heat in the water. The sunlight will still be able to enter through the sides of the tank and then the heat won't be able to escape

I believe the plant in the pic is a hygro difformis. Not positive, just pretty sure.

That is a good point. This tank only gets 3 or 4 hours of direct light a day. The rest of the time it is shaded. I have sheets of screen that I can use as shade if I need to. I think that with a few precautions this will work out superbly. With enough plants I think the water won't get too green but I do want it to have some algae

I think it will turn into a green soup... Just my opinion. Hopefully you prove me wrong!

I am expecting soup. I hope daphnia and a lot of plants will help compensate

Back
Top Bottom