My pleco doesnt seem to eat, is something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ours are usually gone the next morning but if it's not I remove it at lights on. So I'd say 12 to 24 hours.

well...ours wasnt gone by morning, but there again, it was a large piece...I think the other fish enjoyed some of it too...LOL

I will remove it tonite when I get home...

Thanks again to all, cant express how much your help means to me and the fish

Great advice here for your pleco!

It's nice to see someone really making the effort to properly provide for their charge, too. Your kids are learning a great lesson-that if you bring a living thing into your home you gotta do your best to make sure it has what it needs.

Now tell them to save their allowances for that giant tank he'll need in no time! :) I wish someone would breed a mini-gibbi.....

plecoperson said:
Great advice here for your pleco!

It's nice to see someone really making the effort to properly provide for their charge, too. Your kids are learning a great lesson-that if you bring a living thing into your home you gotta do your best to make sure it has what it needs.

Now tell them to save their allowances for that giant tank he'll need in no time! :) I wish someone would breed a mini-gibbi.....

I appreciate the help that everyone has provided...I am already starting the "Get Bear a 75 Gallon Tank" fund...LOL

The reason why ours is always gone is because I have 25 African Cichlids and a pleco sharing a tank. :) They all love zuc. I do have to remove the rind but they eat it out in a few hours. Sometimes if it's been a long time since the last time they were given suc they will eat it in a matter of a half hour.

I think the mollies got to it...I have a tank of live bearers...guppies, mollies, tetra, platys...and pleco...I think they all got to it...which is no biggie...there was enough for all

my fiance tells me the pleco is going crazy on the cucumber she put in there for the fish. I have a better non bottom side photo of him, and once it gets sized right, I will post it on here...thanks again to everyone for the help and advice

*EDIT* picture of the pleco, the clearest and best one yet...

img_808796_0_0adb7badff7dfa1bee3663581cec38a0.jpg

Man, I'm not even sure how I'd go about taking a pic of my bristle nose. I have him in a 55g and he basically nests out behind a rock shelf during the day - can catch the occasional glimpse at tnight, but he flees the photons as soon as a light goes on.

DanD said:
Man, I'm not even sure how I'd go about taking a pic of my bristle nose. I have him in a 55g and he basically nests out behind a rock shelf during the day - can catch the occasional glimpse at tnight, but he flees the photons as soon as a light goes on.

Mine is pretty active at all hours, light or not, but there again, he's still young. He likes to hang out on the glass a lot...

So, we picked up a piece of drift wood for the pleco today. The lfs already had it soaking in one of their tanks, so I brought it home, washed and scrubbed it to clean it before placing it in the tank. It's not the closest match to the scenery, but if it gives him something to chew on, its worth it. I dont think he's found it yet, he's out hangin on some of the fake plants. I'll get some new pictures once we figure out where to put the drift wood for its final placement...

how tough are these guys? I've had 3 fish die, and others seemingly on the verge, and he seems to be improving? we had a bitrite spike (5ppm) while out of town, and his color is the best I've seen...maybe its me? I'm not complainin or nothin, jus wonderin, I dont intend to push him to the edge or nothin...

ok...so, the pleco is still here, doing good. He eats every couple days on average...and dependin on whats going on...he tends to clean to gravel, and chillin on the drift wood a lot. He loves cucumbers, and eats those a lot...he tends to rasp on the skin of the cuc a lot...LOL

He's doing good tho, given the trials he went through...

And after a confirmation at the pet store, he is a spotted sail fin...aka gibicept (or however you spell it...)

Thank you to all for the responses...

Back
Top Bottom