My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious...are you in an area where predators will be a concern (raccoons, egrets, herons, etc)? If so, then precautions may need to be taken (e.g. - netting), however, it takes away from the aesthetics.
If you are stocking smaller, more agile fish or native fish then it might not be a problem. Goldfish can attract unwanted attention.
From a design perspective, you could make it more difficult for the predators to hunt by limiting the shallow areas and by having deep slopes. For instance, if the bank drops to a deep section, then it will be more of a challenge for wading birds and raccoons.
I have a small (50-60g) performed pool that is not very deep. It is not very wide and I had a raccoon clear out my goldfish. I now keep mosquitofish and IMO they are not worth the effort of catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I live less than a mile from a river in a subdivision that is in the middle of a rural county- yes I have probably every predator threat available in my locale. Herons, raccoons, neighborhood cats, etc. There will be one area that is 24" for maintenance purposes while the rest will be 36" from every edge.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Made some good progress today. I can finally stand in the hole and dig, which makes things much faster and a little easier than bending over the hole. Much more to go though, and then I'll have to dress up the sides at the end of it all.

Attachments

• 1431197379500.jpg
    1431197379500.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 183
  • 1431197406038.jpg
    1431197406038.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 196
Are you softening up the soil with water first or ok with shovel?

I break it up with the mattock pictured. Some parts are okay with just the shovel, but usually the roots put an end to that.

I break it up with the mattock pictured. Some parts are okay with just the shovel, but usually the roots put an end to that.

That's what it looked like! Fond memories of using a pick axe in clay over summer. Same stuff was easier in winter in wet but then wouldn't come off the shovel, boots, clothes...

I take my hat off - cheaper than gym membership I guess?

Just curious...are you in an area where predators will be a concern (raccoons, egrets, herons, etc)? If so, then precautions may need to be taken (e.g. - netting), however, it takes away from the aesthetics.
If you are stocking smaller, more agile fish or native fish then it might not be a problem. Goldfish can attract unwanted attention.
From a design perspective, you could make it more difficult for the predators to hunt by limiting the shallow areas and by having deep slopes. For instance, if the bank drops to a deep section, then it will be more of a challenge for wading birds and raccoons.
I have a small (50-60g) performed pool that is not very deep. It is not very wide and I had a raccoon clear out my goldfish. I now keep mosquitofish and IMO they are not worth the effort of catching.

I have attached a picture of the location in my yard. The wheel barrel is sitting inside the outline. The leaves on the trees should offer protection from flying predators, while nets during the fall and winter will take care of the rest.

Attachments

• 1431241566797.jpg
    1431241566797.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 186
Looks like it will be less noticeable from above with the tree cover. Battling leaves and tree droppings might be you biggest challenge. Will it get any direct sun? If you grow lilies, I'm pretty sure they require direct sun. Then again, you are reducing the opportunity for pea soup or string algae from taking hold.
Good job on the excavation...that is a lot of work!
As for filtration, what are your options or what have you considered? If you are doing an external, above ground filter, perhaps you can incorporate building a bench over it (depending on the design) or using a whiskey barrel or other creative idea to hide the filter.

Looks like it will be less noticeable from above with the tree cover. Battling leaves and tree droppings might be you biggest challenge. Will it get any direct sun? If you grow lilies, I'm pretty sure they require direct sun. Then again, you are reducing the opportunity for pea soup or string algae from taking hold.
Good job on the excavation...that is a lot of work!
As for filtration, what are your options or what have you considered? If you are doing an external, above ground filter, perhaps you can incorporate building a bench over it (depending on the design) or using a whiskey barrel or other creative idea to hide the filter.

Actually I'm going to use a 35 or 55 gallon drum with a "'mill house" built around it and I'd like to make a working water wheel with the filter output, but I'm not sure I'm going to get that intricate yet. As far as plants go I might get some things like water lettuce and floating plant islands, but it will probably be too deep for lilies.

Forgot to up date. Been sick since I last did any digging, but made progress on Saturday. Dressed up the back side mostly and worked it closer to my edge line. I'm cautious because it is close to the marked cable line in the back, but if it's accurately marked I'll be okay. Also focused on taking it down to 3 feet all over the half.

Attachments

• 1432034191680.jpg
    1432034191680.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 164
Looking good! How will you do the border? Will it be flat rocks?

There's a guy on Craig's list with 1100 6x6 pavers which will be mostly underwater, and then I'll probably buy some pretty stones for the visible perimeter. Yes flat stones, mulch on one side(flower bed) and hopefully edged grass on the other.

Purchased my filter container today. Changed my filtration plans a little bit. Instead of running a larger drum I'm going to up the flow rate on my pump to about 2000gph from 1000gph. I should have enough flow to back wash the filter and be turning over the pond roughly twice an hour.

Attachments

• 1432392518733.jpg
    1432392518733.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 151
Are you planning on doing an up flow, side flow, or down flow filter? What media will you be using?
In my small pond (hate calling it that because it's only 50-60g) I am currently using a down flow external filter with foam and plastic media. In the past (with a larger pond) I've used an up flow filter design in a 100g Rubbermaid tub initially using expanded shale, then lava rock, and finally, pall rings. The latter are buoyant, clear polyethylene barrel shaped media. Not nearly as much surface area as the other two but much simpler to clean and work with. I did not back flush but I did shut off the pump, stirred the media with a 2x4 and opened the drain at the bottom. Back in the 90s i order 5 cubic feet of it and still have some of it tucked away in the attic set aside for the filter I'll never get around to building.

I'll be building an up flow with pea gravel as the primary media and perhaps some dollar store scrubbers up top, but I'm thinking I may go all gravel with some heavier stones on the bottom transitioning to the pea gravel and then maybe some lava rock for additional surface area. The bottom of the filter will have water entering flowing opposite each other in a cyclonic fashion before it transfers to the media.

I'm also heavily considering doing two separate stages of filtration- 1 barrel with nothing but gravel for mechanical and an additional barrel with nothing but bio media.

Purchased my filter container today. Changed my filtration plans a little bit. Instead of running a larger drum I'm going to up the flow rate on my pump to about 2000gph from 1000gph. I should have enough flow to back wash the filter and be turning over the pond roughly twice an hour.

What's going on with the shed? Looks like a cyclone went through it :)

Back
Top Bottom