My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may have posted this early on, but what kind of underlayment will you be using under the liner? I've used carpet padding in the past. Tarp may help as well but not necessarily prevent roots from growing.
What kind of liner? Butyl? PVC? Other? What mil thickness?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You may have posted this early on, but what kind of underlayment will you be using under the liner? I've used carpet padding in the past. Tarp may help as well but not necessarily prevent roots from growing.
What kind of liner? Butyl? PVC? Other? What mil thickness?

45 mil EPDM rubber liner. Underlayment will likely be whatever comes with it, but I haven't given much thought to others. The roots will choose the path of least resistance, so as long as there is water in the pond that won't be an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Been a while since an update, but I'm getting close. I've cut through the root and made great strides since then.

Attachments

• 1437610426837.jpg
    1437610426837.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 1437610477771.jpg
    1437610477771.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 123
Great progress! When are you planning on putting in the liner?

I'll purchase the liner once the hole is dug and I can get a real time measurement on how big it needs to be.

Did some more digging today, cut out some more roots. Its getting really close! Its definitely going to end up deeper than 3 feet though, probably closer to 4 in some places.

Attachments

• 1437698453360.jpg
    1437698453360.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 1437698489928.jpg
    1437698489928.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 118
Swimming hole!
What pump/filtration do you plan on using for this? You may have mentioned it on this thread but I could not find it.

Swimming hole!
What pump/filtration do you plan on using for this? You may have mentioned it on this thread but I could not find it.

2700gph pump most likely with DIY barrel filled with gravel. Considering a second barrel with sponges for bio media but I'd rather keep it simple. Also a fountain pump/uv sterilizer combo.

You can just build a filter box, and stuff it full of sponges. I do this. Pump runs to filter box, runs to bog filter (full of gravel and planted) which ends in a waterfall to the first tier of pond.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might love/hate the gravel in the first container. Traps a lot of gunk but can be a pita to clean. If you have a secondary container with some biomedia (sponges and/or pot scrubbers would work well here) then you can use a hose running tap water on the gravel in the first container. Bulkhead fitting and ball valve at the bottom of both containers for easing draining.

You might love/hate the gravel in the first container. Traps a lot of gunk but can be a pita to clean. If you have a secondary container with some biomedia (sponges and/or pot scrubbers would work well here) then you can use a hose running tap water on the gravel in the first container. Bulkhead fitting and ball valve at the bottom of both containers for easing draining.

I'm planning to clean the gravel with air and back flushing, which seems to be an effective method. Right now I have 75 lbs of aquarium gravel and probably 40 lbs of pea gravel for filter media.

I like the air flush idea but if the media gets too clogged or packed in, channeling may occur and areas may be left undisturbed. At the time I used expanded shale which is a bit larger (1/2-3/4") and not as heavy as similar sized gravel. It was effective but tons of crap would be loaded in it and it required a shovel and garden hose to clean. Then again, the pond was overstocked and under direct sunlight and was an algae fest. I later switched to pall rings which are buoyant, translucent, 1-2" plastic barrels. These were easier to work with (stop pump, stir with a stick, drain, refill, repeat).
Matala makes filter mats in a variety of grades (coarse to fine) and can serve as bio or mechanical filtration. http://www.matalausa.com/cat26.html Never used them but heard good stuff about them.

Ran into another large root that was easily removed. Getting so close I can taste it.

Attachments

• 1437851433951.jpg
    1437851433951.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1437851451777.jpg
    1437851451777.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 103
The digging is complete! The remaining digging will be used to level the edges, so the deep end will may be extended a little, but the entire perimeter is dug and the sides are dressed.

Attachments

• 1437948422751.jpg
    1437948422751.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1437948440239.jpg
    1437948440239.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 99
  • 1437948481378.jpg
    1437948481378.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 100
Been a while since an update, but I'm getting close. I've cut through the root and made great strides since then.
attachment.php

Seeing this reminds me of my trip to Brasil. We were hand digging an 8 ft diameter hole for an in ground sump when we ran into and unexpected drain pipe from the building outside. Being where we were, I became a very inventive plumber that day. :brows: :lol:

Just out of curiosity, are those big roots from a tree still standing or one that no longer is there?

Probably still standing. I'm going to seal then with tar patch. My boss has 4 ponds, one of them RIGHT next to a weeping willow, he said just seal then with tar and I shouldn't have problems.

Back
Top Bottom