My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1.5 inch tubing for the pump to filter run came in today. I'll put pictures up soon. This is TOUGH stuff, and I should hope it would be at $2/ft

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Filter and tubing.

Attachments

• 1441636231646.jpg
    1441636231646.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 100
This is my filter assembly/leak testing. I have a functioning pressurized filter.

Attachments

• 1441641963096.jpg
    1441641963096.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 1441642076311.jpg
    1441642076311.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1441642097575.jpg
    1441642097575.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 91
Did my pictures upload in my previous post? Purchased additional fittings to put my filter back on the garden instead of sitting right next to the pond.

Attachments

• 1441851773963.jpg
    1441851773963.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 1441851809902.jpg
    1441851809902.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 96
Yep, they did. Nice looking filter. Is the center "T" for hooking up to a blower to backwash the system?
You might try a half whiskey barrel or one of those large, fake plastic "rocks" to disguise the filter. Or you can spray paint it black so it blends in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes the T is an air manifold. I'll be using an air compressor because I don't think a shop vac will push back against the water pressure. That's a 15 gallon barrel with a 2700 gph pump attached. I'll be turning the pond over almost twice an hour.

I'm building a rustic looking cover out of pallet wood and covering it with varnish.

Figured I'd make a resource for anyone who wants to undertake this task. It's way more than I anticipated and it is not easy.

That is one reason I don't have my in ground pond. The other is wondering where the longer term place to sink down roots. Don't want to go through so much effort just to pick up and leave. The pond where my little Koi went is an open invitation to visit, so maybe just get to look for now.

Thank you for taking the time to share the info and build and pics. When I made my trash can filter there wasn't much info to use and not much for pics so I made it up as I went, lol.

This will help me in the development of the plan when the time comes.

All back breaking manual.labor aside.. does look good though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got a neat design for an above ground pond that can be disassembled, too. My next pond will be built that way.

I've got a neat design for an above ground pond that can be disassembled, too. My next pond will be built that way.

Oh yeah???? PM me the idea if you have a spare minute, please or post a new thread link with the particulars if you don't mind.

Filter placement and approximate line placement. I also trimmed the excess rubber around the pond. My liner was just too big and bulky to be easily covered up with gravel so it had to be trimmed.

Pea gravel filter media provides too much had pressure for the pump it seems. Searching for an alternative media. Lots of bioballs is what I'm thinking.

Ribbon... Like christmas package ribbon. Not bows. Waters edge here in lawrence just had 2015s international water garden and lily society symposium. Several big wigs in this suggested this stuff. Its cheap as the devils home. Check it out. Waters edge even carries it now. With as much as you can cram in a small space they say it adds more surface space than bio balls. Its cheap and easily replaceable. It was explained by one guy as floss for your pond. I have not tried it yet, because weather heres gonna have me tearin down in a month or 2 and move it all into the garage. But im gonna check it out next spring for sure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom