my poor betta is so messed up.....any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
This has been a long horrible road, sorry for the long post, here are the basics;

1 male betta, only fish in a 5 gallon, been up about 8 months. Small filter, that came with tank, no heater because our area/house stays extremely warm. Tank stays about 78 degrees, pwc twice a week. Last water test was ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.

About 6 weeks ago, I came home and noticed his tank temp was well above normal, like 90 degrees. That seems to be when the trouble started.

He became extremely lethargic, sitting on bottom or not moving on top, no other symptoms, just basically stopped moving. I fasted him and fed him peas for about a week, no change.

Put him in small QT on heating pad and treated with Betta revive, switched to better quality flake food and added blood worms to diet. after 3 days, he seemed to improve, back in old tank, again became very lethargic.

Back to QT tank. Noticed fin damage, started to treat with Metafix, then read this thread, Fin Rot 101 - Betta Splendid. Stopped Metafix and started salt bath treatments, with 100% daily water changes. Currently on day 7. I keep him covered to hopefully reduce stress.

And lastly, came home last week to see that toddler had turned heating pad to high, tank temp was 110, did quick water change and gradually acclimated him to proper temp water.

At this point, this poor fish probably wishes I had just left him at the store in his little tiny cup. I feel like he would have been better off. Here are photos of him now. He's so jacked up I don't even know what I should be asking you guys. He's eating good, one flake in the morning and a blood worm for dinner. I have no idea how he is still hanging on. This is breaking my heart. Any insight into what the hell I'm doing wrong or what I can do to help this guy is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• zombie fish 2.jpg
    zombie fish 2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 142
Well I'm no expert on bettas but I've seen some people say that bettas heal from loss of fins. Even as much fin loss as your little betta. Just keep and eye on him.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well I'm no expert on bettas but I've seen some people say that bettas heal from loss of fins. Even as much fin loss as your little betta. Just keep and eye on him.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I've heard that too, I just wish I could see any sign of improvement, but so far, nothing. To look as bad as he does I would think he's got something else going on besides fin rot? I just don't know what.

Reducing stress will help him heal faster. Try adding lots of hiding places, and don't change things too dramatically all at once.

Reducing stress will help him heal faster. Try adding lots of hiding places, and don't change things too dramatically all at once.

Thanks. I put his little cave in the QT but nothing else really fits because it's small. But I'm keeping the tank covered so hopefully that helps. At this point I'm not sure if doing daily 100% water changes is helping or stressing him out more. Once the salt treatment is finished if he isn't any better I may try some sort of antibiotic I guess. Poor guy. I just feel like such a screw up. Seriously, how did I let him get so sick?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you say he is in QT? What is going on with his tank?

What kind of salt?

First off the obvious stuff like keep him away from toddlers. Toddlers like to climb on chairs so keep that in mind (even if he is up "out" of the way). If it is warm in the house, almost 80F you shouldn't need any heater, I would check the temps at night. If it is dipping low like under 76F I would get a real tank heater so the temp can be held accurately. A heating pad probably has too great of highs and lows (not sure about the stability of its temp capability)

Fluval makes a nice small tank heater for a 5G appx 15. Stays at 78F preset. There are other options with adjustable temps.

You can add in Epsom salt (pure no additives) to his tank water - make sure to dissolve it into the water first. I use it with a cup of hot water to dissolve, then put the hot water into the water changing container (the one I use to fill the tank) and finish filling up the water with the faucet and get the temp matched and do Prime water treatment.

I would use 2 roughly level tablespoons of Epsom salt per gallon. Then after a few days increase it to rounded then heaping tablespoons. I have saved several sick Bettas this way.

Getting him back into his bigger tank is a better idea and you could do 50% pwc daily or if there is poor water the do 50 in AM and PM. Clean water is important.

Also are you using tap water to rinse or clean the filter? That hasn't been treated using dechlorinator?

Have you seen his poop? Is is brownish red, or clearish, white and/or stringy. Have you got a close up look at his gills are they red, like inflamed or have any worms, or white or grey and patchy? Are there any worms in his vent/anus?

I am guessing you might have already checked these things.

Due to the elevated heat exposures he has experienced recently, that can cause outbreaks of parasites, worms, whatever nasty little creatures there may be.

You are using dechlorinator for the water changes?

I would buy some Anacharis plants or Hornwort, whatever the lfs says grows like weeds for people in your area and through a bundle, remove tie metal sinker or rubber band so they float loosely in the tank, you can hold a few down with rocks if you prefer, so that he has lots of places to rest in all levels of the tank.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get him to rest in a cave. The reason is that the cave doesn't get good flow inside and it can increase the chances of rotting fins because of bacteria.

I hope he heals and starts to feel better soon.

Last edited:
I would say such fluctuations in temperature is causing his stress. Any fish would stress in heat that high... Find a way to manage temp.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

This has been a long horrible road, sorry for the long post, here are the basics;

1 male betta, only fish in a 5 gallon, been up about 8 months. Small filter, that came with tank, no heater because our area/house stays extremely warm. Tank stays about 78 degrees, pwc twice a week. Last water test was ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.

About 6 weeks ago, I came home and noticed his tank temp was well above normal, like 90 degrees. That seems to be when the trouble started.

He became extremely lethargic, sitting on bottom or not moving on top, no other symptoms, just basically stopped moving. I fasted him and fed him peas for about a week, no change.

Put him in small QT on heating pad and treated with Betta revive, switched to better quality flake food and added blood worms to diet. after 3 days, he seemed to improve, back in old tank, again became very lethargic.

Back to QT tank. Noticed fin damage, started to treat with Metafix, then read this thread, Fin Rot 101 - Betta Splendid. Stopped Metafix and started salt bath treatments, with 100% daily water changes. Currently on day 7. I keep him covered to hopefully reduce stress.

And lastly, came home last week to see that toddler had turned heating pad to high, tank temp was 110, did quick water change and gradually acclimated him to proper temp water.

At this point, this poor fish probably wishes I had just left him at the store in his little tiny cup. I feel like he would have been better off. Here are photos of him now. He's so jacked up I don't even know what I should be asking you guys. He's eating good, one flake in the morning and a blood worm for dinner. I have no idea how he is still hanging on. This is breaking my heart. Any insight into what the hell I'm doing wrong or what I can do to help this guy is greatly appreciated.

I'm just curious. Is that a white mark or something between top and tail fin on his back ? Not sure if seeing things.

I'm just curious. Is that a white mark or something between top and tail fin on his back ? Not sure if seeing things.

I've been keeping an eye out for signs of itch, but I haven't seen any white spots. I'll check him over again tonight and look specifically at his back. Thanks.

Did you say he is in QT? What is going on with his tank?

What kind of salt?

First off the obvious stuff like keep him away from toddlers. Toddlers like to climb on chairs so keep that in mind (even if he is up "out" of the way). If it is warm in the house, almost 80F you shouldn't need any heater, I would check the temps at night. If it is dipping low like under 76F I would get a real tank heater so the temp can be held accurately. A heating pad probably has too great of highs and lows (not sure about the stability of its temp capability)

Fluval makes a nice small tank heater for a 5G appx 15. Stays at 78F preset. There are other options with adjustable temps.

You can add in Epsom salt (pure no additives) to his tank water - make sure to dissolve it into the water first. I use it with a cup of hot water to dissolve, then put the hot water into the water changing container (the one I use to fill the tank) and finish filling up the water with the faucet and get the temp matched and do Prime water treatment.

I would use 2 roughly level tablespoons of Epsom salt per gallon. Then after a few days increase it to rounded then heaping tablespoons. I have saved several sick Bettas this way.

Getting him back into his bigger tank is a better idea and you could do 50% pwc daily or if there is poor water the do 50 in AM and PM. Clean water is important.

Also are you using tap water to rinse or clean the filter? That hasn't been treated using dechlorinator?

Have you seen his poop? Is is brownish red, or clearish, white and/or stringy. Have you got a close up look at his gills are they red, like inflamed or have any worms, or white or grey and patchy? Are there any worms in his vent/anus?

I am guessing you might have already checked these things.

Due to the elevated heat exposures he has experienced recently, that can cause outbreaks of parasites, worms, whatever nasty little creatures there may be.

You are using dechlorinator for the water changes?

I would buy some Anacharis plants or Hornwort, whatever the lfs says grows like weeds for people in your area and through a bundle, remove tie metal sinker or rubber band so they float loosely in the tank, you can hold a few down with rocks if you prefer, so that he has lots of places to rest in all levels of the tank.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get him to rest in a cave. The reason is that the cave doesn't get good flow inside and it can increase the chances of rotting fins because of bacteria.

I hope he heals and starts to feel better soon.

I think it's API aquarium salt. Dissolved first. I think his QT tank is about 32 ounces so I've been using 1/2 teaspoon once a day with 100% water changes. Should I be using epsom salt? I've been doing the salt treatments for about a week now. Should I try something else? I have always used Seachem Prime at each water change with all my tanks.
I took down and emptied his normal tank because I was afraid that whatever was making him sick, was in the tank. It had rocks and like 3 anubias, but I've thrown that all away.
I'm not sure if I have seen his poop. Nothing stringy, but there have been small round brown dots that I thought might have been poop. I'll take a close look tonight for worms or parasites. Might have to get a magnifying glass for that? My eyes aren't that good close up.
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate.

I think the little guy just needs some stability. Carry on feeding the flakes. I would skip the blood worms until signs of improvements personally. Perhaps try some high quality betta pellets.

Next thing would be to practice regular 50% water changes twice a week.

The heat could have really had a negative effect on the betta that may have just taken a little more time to acclimatise back to.

If the bettas internal regulating systems are under stress the salt baths will be making things worse and weakening him further. Every time the betta is forced to acclimate it puts a huge spontaneous energy demand on him. If he has stopped eating because of the great then he may not have the energy reserves to cope with the change.

1) stabilize temp
2) feed quality dry food more regularly, but bare in mind digesting dry foods is difficult as it is for bettas so try not to over feed and make sure he is pooping.
3) water changes 50% twice a week

He should improve but it will be a slow process.

Sometimes we panic and end up causing more problems down the road trying various remedies (i've done it myself loads of times)

Good luck

Fishy, the advice here is good.

Also I wanted to say that my betta had fin rot and popeye last month. I bought some Tetracycline and followed the instructions on the back. After about 2 days the eye was back to normal and the fins stopped receding. Now he's good as new. His fins are still somewhat tattered but the fact is even after they're healed they'll never go back to 100% normal.

So yeah, I recommend tetracycline. As far as water changes go when you're using it, I the instructions say to do a 25% change daily. So just follow them.

You are welcome.

Get the 5G tank going, more water means less mistakes, like ammonia, heating, etc.

I strongly recommend the Epsom Salts as mentioned in the previous post. The Epsom salts has healing properties so works wonders, and as mentioned with water changes.

Do not recommend any meds unless you know what's wrong or have tried all other possibilities. With just keeping the water clean, you will have a better chance of seeing his fins grow back.

I think the little guy just needs some stability. Carry on feeding the flakes. I would skip the blood worms until signs of improvements personally. Perhaps try some high quality betta pellets.

Next thing would be to practice regular 50% water changes twice a week.

The heat could have really had a negative effect on the betta that may have just taken a little more time to acclimatise back to.

If the bettas internal regulating systems are under stress the salt baths will be making things worse and weakening him further. Every time the betta is forced to acclimate it puts a huge spontaneous energy demand on him. If he has stopped eating because of the great then he may not have the energy reserves to cope with the change.

1) stabilize temp
2) feed quality dry food more regularly, but bare in mind digesting dry foods is difficult as it is for bettas so try not to over feed and make sure he is pooping.
3) water changes 50% twice a week

He should improve but it will be a slow process.

Sometimes we panic and end up causing more problems down the road trying various remedies (i've done it myself loads of times)

Good luck

Thank you! I feel like I could use some good fish luck. Can you recommend a high quality pellet? I was using Tetramin flakes, but switched to New Life Spectrum based on advice from another AA member. His appetite has actually been surprisingly good. Do you think I should stop all treatments, put him back in his big tank and just try to let him be? Or switch from salt baths to some sort of meds? Also, I have a small heater for him, but like I mentioned in my original post, because I live in a warm climate, keeping the heater in often results in his tank getting way to hot. I've had a hard time finding a way to keep his tank temp stable. I might try a different heater, one suggested by someone in this thread earlier. I definitely feel like I've done more harm than good trying to "treat" him. Thanks again.

You are welcome.
I strongly recommend the Epsom Salts as mentioned in the previous post. The Epsom salts has healing properties so works wonders, and as mentioned with water changes.

Epsom salt that you get in a regular store? Also, how long do you treat with the epsom?

Epsom salt that you get in a regular store? Also, how long do you treat with the epsom?

From what I heard you have to get it pure, unscented. But wait until someone more experienced answers.

I'm telling you though, tetracycline :)

Need to be sure the ph isn't above 7.6. Have heard it isn't effective in that ph (tetracycline)

From what I heard you have to get it pure, unscented. But wait until someone more experienced answers.

I'm telling you though, tetracycline :)

Mad research on train lol.

Tetracycline should of had a good chance with the pop-eye as it treats gram positive bacteria mainly and eye infections on the info I have, may well be from gram positive bacteria.

Not so sure it would be first choice here (if that road was gone down).

Back
Top Bottom