My Python is driving me nuts !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whenever I use mine, I rinse the line completely in the sink and leave it full of water. Turn the intake so it is facing up and fill it about 1/3 of the way with water. Turn the faucet on very slowly and walk to the tank, this ensures I get no air in the line. Place the intake in the tank with it facing up so that it fills completely with water and no air. The faucet is still running slowly, so I switch it over to siphon and then open the faucet full blast.

Also check your connection at the faucet and make sure there is no air entering the venturi. Sometimes the nozzle becomes loose from the venturi and you will lose some suction. The part that attaches to the faucet is actually two pieces, make sure both of them are snug.

Stretch said:
Also check your connection at the faucet and make sure there is no air entering the venturi. Sometimes the nozzle becomes loose from the venturi and you will lose some suction. The part that attaches to the faucet is actually two pieces, make sure both of them are snug.

Just make sure they are not too snug, lol. I kept doing mine fairly snug, and then sprung a leak. I thought it was just the seal and pulled it out, was in good shape. Put the seal back in, and still leaked. Tried adjusting more and the pump broke off. The inner part cracked from being twisted on too tight, and finally gave way and broke off. I ordered 2 more, hopefully will get them this week.

Thanks for all the great tips everyone . Today I used the hot/cold thing to do a water change but believe it or not I was so concerned about getting the 1.0ppm ammonia water out that I didn't even test the suction ! LOL
I think the outside spigot will work too - I used to do all my refills through the outside hose and I know the pressure out there is very strong compared to the sink. Now that I have the Python I can match the tank temp better for the refills, so I'd he happy to move the pump from inside to outside.
I still need the 1" tube - I just can't manuver the 2" tube between all the decor in my tank. If I can't find a tube with a wide enough diameter attachment for that thick Python line then maybe I'll just start the process w/out the tube and use just the end of the line to clean the bottom (barebottom is very easy - assuming you can get the vac between the items on the floor !) and then put the tube on later ... if I even have to (?).

Back
Top Bottom