My RCS & Mickey Mouse Platy, & other Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would consider getting longfin danios. =] If your zebras are longfin, you can also get blue longfin and leopard longfin. They are so much prettier IMO than the normal ones. ^^

Yes, I was planning on getting the Long Fin at least that's what I ordered. It's funny you mentioned the Long Fin Leopard Danios. They were the other ones I really liked and wanted to get. That is if it isn't to many.
So you don't think 4 Angels and 10 Danio are to many for a 55g tank?

Well... I think the angels are a little much... they can get like over 10" from top of the top fin to bottom of the bottom fin... they do best in a high aquarium... but I'm not an expert...

Well... I think the angels are a little much... they can get like over 10" from top of the top fin to bottom of the bottom fin... they do best in a high aquarium... but I'm not an expert...

The Angels are the main feature of this tank. It's been set up for just for them. And yes they can get that big but, very it's rare. Seven inches is much more common. My tank is tall and narrow for a 55g.
I have 2 55g tanks and they are different dimensions. I have Mbunas in the shorter, wider 55g and I'm putting the :angel:'s in the taller, narrower 55g.
I just wanted to add a few different fish that were big enough to not be lunch and weren't fin nippers. And they could tolerate the acid water that Angels need. So no loosing the Angels.
So now, with 4 :angel:, how many Danios can I put with them in a 55g tank?
Will different types of Danio school together? Like 3 Zebra and 3 Leopard, or do they need to be exactly the same?

WendiDell said:
The Angels are the main feature of this tank. It's been set up for just for them. And yes they can get that big but, very it's rare. Seven inches is much more common. My tank is tall and narrow for a 55g.
I have 2 55g tanks and they are different dimensions. I have Mbunas in the shorter, wider 55g and I'm putting the :angel:'s in the taller, narrower 55g.
I just wanted to add a few different fish that were big enough to not be lunch and weren't fin nippers. And they could tolerate the acid water that Angels need. So no loosing the Angels.
So now, with 4 :angel:, how many Danios can I put with them in a 55g tank?
Will different types of Danio school together? Like 3 Zebra and 3 Leopard, or do they need to be exactly the same?

Let me jump in here. Some of my Zebra Danios are quite small...and I bought a few Jumbo Zebra Danios. The Jumbo can go from two to three inches. They are regular finned but look a little bit different simply because they are bigger. The detail of their stripe is much more defined. They school and interact with the other smaller Danios because they are but they just seem different too. I think if you bought some Jumbe Danios, and I think if you got a few Leopards, they would join right in" because size wise they would fit. My large Platy, which is not a schooling fish, still, swims with "the big boys" everyday. She plays chase with them, because my Mickey Mouse will not play with her enough. iMO these fish would not out-fish your tank along with your angels because I know you. You would be keeping up with PWC etc. so the filter could do it's job. Go for it.

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Let me jump in here. Some of my Zebra Danios are quite small...and I bought a few Jumbo Zebra Danios. The Jumbo can go from two to three inches. They are regular finned but look a little bit different simply because they are bigger. The detail of their stripe is much more defined. They school and interact with the other smaller Danios because they are but they just seem different too. I think if you bought some Jumbe Danios, and I think if you got a few Leopards, they would join right in" because size wise they would fit. My large Platy, which is not a schooling fish, still, swims with "the big boys" everyday. She plays chase with them, because my Mickey Mouse will not play with her enough. iMO these fish would not out-fish your tank along with your angels because I know you. You would be keeping up with PWC etc. so the filter could do it's job. Go for it.

Your right I am a bit OCD about PWC, and I thank you for that complement. But I still don't know how many would be to many. Even for an OCD, PWC like me. HELP.
Maybe I should start a new thread for this question?

WendiDell said:
Your right I am a bit OCD about PWC, and I thank you for that complement. But I still don't know how many would be to many. Even for an OCD, PWC like me. HELP.
Maybe I should start a new thread for this question?

IMO if you bought three Leopard Danios and three Jumbo Zebra Danios, in addition to your Angels, I think you would be fine. :)

That is including your other Danios too! My bad...I left them out...sorry :-l

That is including your other Danios too! My bad...I left them out...sorry :-l

I don't have any yet. I'm suppose to pick them all up today. The Angels and Danios. Did you mean that on top of my list, I could get 3 Jumbo and 3 Leopard?
2 Platinum Angels
2 Black & Blue Pinoy
5 Zebra Danio
+ the 3 Jumbo & 3 Leopard?

WendiDell said:
I don't have any yet. I'm suppose to pick them all up today. The Angels and Danios. Did you mean that on top of my list, I could get 3 Jumbo and 3 Leopard?
2 Platinum Angels
2 Black & Blue Pinoy
5 Zebra Danio
+ the 3 Jumbo & 3 Leopard?

change the 3 Jumbos & Leopards to 2 of each IMO:)

Imho zebra danios are good but I have seen them get nippy. Definitely a tall tank for the angels though

Imho zebra danios are good but I have seen them get nippy. Definitely a tall tank for the angels though
Tall tank not a problem, I have to use a ladder to reach the top.
If you think the Danios may be nippy, what do you think will go well with Angels?
Or maybe I should just give up on the idea of a few smaller tank mates and get 6 Angelfish instead. It is the Angels that I really want. The others were to make it interesting. Angels can be a little lethargic, so I wanted a few colorful zippy fish to put in with them. But it's proving to be a bit difficult. It seems a lot of fish are nippers or if they aren't nippers, the Angels may eat them instead. Or they can't live in the Acidic pH waters that the Angels need.
For whatever the reason it's just harder to match up the Angels with other fish than I thought. I went online and found some that would work really well, but you can't get them here in Oregon. And what you can get won't work. It's all making me a bit crazy, trying to do right by the fish. I really don't want to get some fish and have them end up as feeder fish. Or have them terrorize the Angels.
If anyone has any suggestions on what will work with Angels, wont nip, like the lower pH, won't end up lunch and can add color and be zippier than the Angels, PLEASE HELP!!!
I've never kept Angels and I find them elegant to watch, but FW Angels don't have a lot of color like the SW Angels. So I wanted to add just a few brightly colored fish. I'm about ready to add a bunch of Glofish, their easy.

If you think the Danios may be nippy, what do you think will go well with Angels?
Or maybe I should just give up on the idea of a few smaller tank mates and get 6 Angelfish instead. It is the Angels that I really want. The others were to make it interesting. Angels can be a little lethargic, so I wanted a few colorful zippy fish to put in with them. But it's proving to be a bit difficult. It seems a lot of fish are nippers or if they aren't nippers, the Angels may eat them instead. Or they can't live in the Acidic pH waters that the Angels need.
For whatever the reason it's just harder to match up the Angels with other fish than I thought. I went online and found some that would work really well, but you can't get them here in Oregon. And what you can get won't work. It's all making me a bit crazy, trying to do right by the fish. I really don't want to get some fish and have them end up as feeder fish. Or have them terrorize the Angels.
If anyone has any suggestions on what will work with Angels, wont nip, like the lower pH, won't end up lunch and can add color and be zippier than the Angels, PLEASE HELP!!!
I've never kept Angels and I find them elegant to watch, but FW Angels don't have a lot of color like the SW Angels. So I wanted to add just a few brightly colored fish. I'm about ready to add a bunch of Glofish, their easy.

I've done a little research on Glofish due to a friend having issues with hers. What I found out was they are the same species as Danios. They need to be in schools of 6 or more to be happy. Same as other Danios. But I also know they will school with other Danios. So you you can have any types of Danios together as long as they are in a school of 6 or more and they will be peaceful. I don't know about what kind of pH they like or any of the other stuff you were asking about...just thought i'd pass on to you what I learned in hopes it would make your angel roommate selection a little easier. :) Good luck with your new fishies. :mrgreen:

These are my RCS (Edith & Ann), eating large pieces of peas. This is also a picture of Minnie, my Mickey Mouse Platy. She is very sweet and tame. She eats out of my hand. There is also a picture of Sunny, my other Platy.She is constant motion.

Some of the best fish pics I have seen. Mine never come out that clear.

I've done a little research on Glofish due to a friend having issues with hers. What I found out was they are the same species as Danios. They need to be in schools of 6 or more to be happy. Same as other Danios. But I also know they will school with other Danios. So you you can have any types of Danios together as long as they are in a school of 6 or more and they will be peaceful. I don't know about what kind of pH they like or any of the other stuff you were asking about...just thought i'd pass on to you what I learned in hopes it would make your angel roommate selection a little easier. :) Good luck with your new fishies. :mrgreen:

Thanks, I did know they were genetically altered Danios and that they were a peaceful schooling fish. As for the other stuff, no idea.

silverrose11436 said:

Omg I had to rethink this and I apologize for my memory lapse!! It was years ago and it WAS NOT the zebras it WAS the TIGER BARBS.... my dad told me to flush them....I dumped them in with the sword tails.....lol danios are awesome.....IM TRULY SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION <3.

WendiDell said:

I wish I had a bigger tank. <3 fishies! Lol

Omg I had to rethink this and I apologize for my memory lapse!! It was years ago and it WAS NOT the zebras it WAS the TIGER BARBS.... my dad told me to flush them....I dumped them in with the sword tails.....lol danios are awesome.....IM TRULY SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION <3.
Zebras, tiger, lions or bears, we all have momentary lapses or Senior moments. Not a problem, I've had green tigers and they were a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom